Weeping and gnashing of teeth

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:32 pm
Note - this is gonna be long. But only because stupidity needs to be nipped in the bud on both sides of the aisle, and perhaps all the more so on our side, since so much more is at stake now, when it comes to survival after these elections.

Dookie posted this nugget of an article:

Quote:
Kerry Won. . .
Greg Palast

So lemme get this straight. Some 3% of votes are voided because they are "inconclusive". Palast has us count them after all. But they were inconclusive. How can you count inconclusive votes?

Like Palast says, there's always gonna be votes that were not properly cast. I remember joining my mum when she was a precinct officer, back when votes were cast with paper ballots and a red pencil. There would be ballots where two candidates had been crossed. Or where someone had written something on the ballot. Or put a cross where you couldnt really tell who it was for. Those ballots are discarded. Of course they are. They're invalid. Proposing that "if only you'd count the invalid votes" is a bit ... a contradiction in terms.

Furthermore, there's the assumption, apparently, that both those discarded and the provisional votes were overwhelmingly for Kerry. After all, Kerry has 140,000 votes less in the current tally than Bush. Palast is apparently assuming that the 250,000 discarded and provisional ballots break down into 55,000 Bush votes and 195,000 Kerry votes. Does that strike anyone else as somewhat unrealistic, even apart from the question of wanting to count discarded ballots?

Quote:
As a journalist examining that messy sausage called American democracy, it's my job to tell you who got the most votes in the deciding states. Tuesday, in Ohio and New Mexico, it was John Kerry.

Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit poll showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47 percent. Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent to 49 percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the state.

So what's going on here? Answer: the exit polls are accurate. Pollsters ask, "Who did you vote for?" Unfortunately, they don't ask the crucial, question, "Was your vote counted?" The voters don't know.

What's going on here? This is where the article makes its most revealing glitch. First off, exit polls might just have it wrong. Exit polls are based on a selection of precincts that historically have turned out to be representative for the whole state. But there's never a guarantee that they will be representative this time. After all, different voter groups in different regions might suddenly turn out in larger or smaller numbers than usual. If Bush succeeded in mobilising the rural religious folk better than any Republican before, then the precincts they live in will weigh in heavier on the total than normal, and the "representative" precincts the exit polls rely on may not be representative at all.

But first, wait. Back up the truck. He's citing the CNN exit polls. But I have the CNN exit polls in front of me now, and they dont say what Palast says they say. They say, in fact, that Ohio men voted for Bush 52% to 47%, and women split their votes equally 50%/50%. Advantage Bush. I'm guessing that when Palast refers to what "CNN's exit poll showed", he is referring to the numbers that came out during the day - preliminary numbers, based on incomplete samples, partly unprocessed. Anyone to take preliminary poll data for absolute fact and then complain that the actual result is a fraud if it doesnt line up with it, is - no offence - a fool.

Quote:
The election in Ohio was not decided by the voters but by something called "spoilage." Typically in the United States, about 3 percent of the vote is voided, just thrown away, not recorded. When the bobble-head boobs on the tube tell you Ohio or any state was won by 51 percent to 49 percent, don't you believe it ... it has never happened in the United States, because the total never reaches a neat 100 percent. The television totals simply subtract out the spoiled vote.

What else would you want them to do? Question

Quote:

Thats true. And its a scandal. But its not because those devious republican election officials keep the black folks' votes apart so as to discard them more frequently. And its not because blacks are to stupid to cast their vote right, either (though the number of spoiled votes always is higher in districts with average low education). No, its mostly because minority districts tend to be poor districts, poor districts tend to be underfunded districts, and that goes for election equipment too. So yes, black and other disadvantaged neighbourhoods far more often have to vote using outdated, crappy equipment and election processes.

Thats a scandal. Every election district should be funded properly and equally. But what does it have to do with counting this year's votes? What are we to do? Count black district votes for 1,1? Approve a discarded ballot more easily if its from a poor district? Affirmative action in election counts? Do we really want to go there?

Quote:
So here we go again. Or, here we don't go again. Because unlike last time, Democrats aren't even asking Ohio to count these cards with the not-quite-punched holes (called "undervotes" in the voting biz). Nor are they demanding we look at the "overvotes" where voter intent may be discerned.

True, but why would they. As noted, Bush currently leads Ohio with 140,000 votes. I mean, I'm all for counting every provisional ballot - they should be. Every vote should be counted. But going beyond that and into the contesting-every-discarded-vote thing we saw in FL last time round is silly if there is nothing at stake anyway. Theres no way that 4 of those provisional and discarded votes are going to be for Kerry for every 1 that'll be for Bush. Bush voters cast provisional ballots too. There's gonna be some unbalance there, but not 1:4 or even 1:3. The Kerry campaign knows that and thats why they threw in the towel.

Quote:
But this week, Blackwell, a rabidly partisan Republican, has warmed up to the result of sticking with machines that have a habit of eating Democratic votes.

Blackwell also got into a lot of trouble with his fellow Republicans by standing up to them just days before the vote on exactly one of those election issues: whether to allow the Republicans to send in "vote challengers" to contest people's right to vote.

Quote:
Exactly how many votes were lost to spoilage this time? Blackwell's office, notably, won't say, though the law requires it be reported. Hmm. But we know that last time, the total of Ohio votes discarded reached a democracy-damaging 1.96 percent.

I am an election freak, as you will know by now. I have followed elections and crunched election results as a hobby from Russia to Germany and from Bulgaria to my own country. 1 or 2 percent invalid votes is absolutely unremarkable. Are you really so incredulous at the notion that 1 out of 51 people might have made a mistake when they were using all those different and sometimes confusing ballots and ballot methods?

The system needs to be improved. Clearer ballots. More modern machines. Get rid of the punching ballots. But 1,96% does not suggest any kind of devious conspiracy.

Quote:
First and foremost, Kerry was had by chads. But the Democrat wasn't punched out by punch cards alone. There were also the 'challenges.' That's a polite word for the Republican Party of Ohio's use of an old Ku Klux Klan technique: the attempt to block thousands of voters of color at the polls.

Note - this is what Blackwell, accused of being part of the big Republican plot above in this article, openly opposed a few days before the elections - something the article conveniently forgot to mention.

Quote:

The challenger thing was malicious. But there are many other reasons why people were given a provisional ballot. People who showed up at the wrong precinct (something that apparently happens a lot) are given a provisional ballot. People whose name is missing in the election lists, for example because they forgot to notify the officials that they had moved, or just because there was some mess-up with the lists, were given a provisional ballot. There were a lot given out, for a lot of different reasons. Its a jump to conclude that all of them were due to the challenges and another jump to conclude that they all must thus have been for Kerry. The author just wants us to "count them up" with the Dem vote. And he wants us to do that in order to match them with preliminary, since-updated exit poll data that he apparently has no doubts in taking for the gospel truth.

OK, I'm going to give up now. This kind of article is doing the Dems the worst service imaginable. Stoking up conspiracy theories on the basis of jumped-to conclusions of all kinds, some plain rhetorical or easily refutable, just makes the Dems look more wacko, and rightly so. I mean, this man takes the preliminary raw exit poll data, which favoured Kerry, as the absolute truth on how people actually voted, without a question or consideration of margins of errors et cetera. But when it comes to the actual results, he does exercise every possible doubt and question. And then he assumes the worst on every of those questions in order to arrive at a result that would give Kerry the narrow edge after all. That should tell you enough about the guy.

Bush lead in OH by 140,000. Kerry has only "won" if all of the author's speculations and assumptions turn out to be true: the discarded votes are all really valid after all, and they are massively for Kerry, the provisional ballots are massively due to the challenges (even though those "were not overwhelming"), and also all fall to Kerry, and the total of all uncounted votes thus amounts to something like a 1:4 ratio in Kerry's favour, because anything less than that would not change the end result. And on the basis of this succession of hyperbolic assumptions he wants you to spend your energy on legal battles so as to revert an election which Bush won by a national total of 3,5 million votes.

Your energy is better spent on more constructive things.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:43 pm
Amen.

How are you all feeling? I'm less devastated than I expected to be at this point. A few little unexpected perks -- see some bad news, put hands on hips and say "Go ahead and deal with THAT, Georgie boy" and sashay off. I hadn't realized how worried I was about how difficult it would be for Kerry if he won until that burden was lifted. YOU deal with it.

My local Kerry campaign group is morphing into a Democracy club -- that's cool. A lot of momentum, a lot of cool people, who want to DO something. Some straight talk about weaknesses in the Democratic party already. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get involved (will have to figure out if I want to make 'em pay for a terp), if so will be good to involved with something grassroots, bottom-up.

Overall, feel like there's stuff to be done and wanting to do it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:03 pm
Sorry, one last add-on to that monster post above. Anyone seriously considering Dookie's Palast post, compare its runaway assumptions about how the provisional ballots will fall with this New Republic account from within the Kerry campaign:

Quote:
Whatever chance Kerry had to make up the 136,000-vote deficit in Ohio was dashed when his senior aides canvassed the county clerks' offices and learned that the provisional ballots upon which their hopes rested were dispersed across the state, not just in the Democratic counties. "There were only twenty-four thousand in Cuyahoga," a Democratic stronghold that went 67-33 for Kerry, campaign manager Mary Beth Cahill said later. Kerry's senior staff met until 4 a.m., and many counseled him to continue on. But the hard data made the call easy. "We reconvened at eight in the morning. The due diligence was done. We got the numbers," über-adviser Bob Shrum told reporters. "Once we got [the provisional ballot numbers from] Mahoning [County]"--which went 63-37 for Kerry--"it became clear there would not be enough ballots that would be in his favor," said Cahill. By 10 a.m., Kerry had made the decision to concede.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:14 pm
nimh wrote:
Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit poll showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47 percent. Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent to 49 percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the state.

But first, wait. Back up the truck. He's citing the CNN exit polls. But I have the CNN exit polls in front of me now, and they dont say what Palast says they say. They say, in fact, that Ohio men voted for Bush 52% to 47%, and women split their votes equally 50%/50%. Advantage Bush. I'm guessing that when Palast refers to what "CNN's exit poll showed", he is referring to the numbers that came out during the day - preliminary numbers, based on incomplete samples, partly unprocessed. Anyone to take preliminary poll data for absolute fact and then complain that the actual result is a fraud if it doesnt line up with it, is - no offence - a fool.

Actually, those numbers were changed late Tuesday night. There's an article on buzzflash about it. Someone captured the initial page and cached it for comparison.

That's all I have to say about that. I agree with the rest of your post.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 10:20 pm
I feel better, only because I've been drinking a little wine with dinner. It's great that you're getting involved with your group, Soz. I've moved and will have to find a local group. But I'm in Manhattan, so it should be easy enough.

I'm very worried about the damage that will be done in the next two years before Bush becomes a lame duck............we must first find a way to block his destructive initiatives. Sigh........worry worry.
0 Replies

changetheworld

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:49 pm
I just joined this site because of this thread and the "Christian Democrat" thread. I live in NC and it is sometimes hard to find people who share the same views as me, other than my husband Smile

I am no weakling, but it honestly made me tear up to find so many intelligent human beings in one place! I only hope that I can live up to the group!

So thanks for being here. I too am miserable over this election and truly horrified over what the next four years will bring. Its nice to find a place where I can say that without having someone bonk me over the head with a Bushism.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:53 pm
You've misunderestimated us.
0 Replies

changetheworld

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:56 pm
hehe...

No, I think you have underestimated the general population of NC -- at least in my neck of the woods...
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:10 am
Dookiestix wrote:
I love your country.

By the way, how's the weather in Tornio right now? It's pretty cold and miserable right here in San Francisco as we speak.

Thanks, I love my country too (especially when you see the mess elsewhere in the world), which is why I am also very critical of our own government, vigilance is always needed, because there is no perfect country, or "God's own country". People like Michael Moore are to be cherished (but not hugged to death!) and protected (but not smothered). In the Netherlands a similar outspoken champion of truth and free speech was assassinated by a muslim extremist for having made a film critical of islam's view of women. And the Netherlands used to be a country where anything could be said about any subject.

Koskenkorva is a national symbol in Finland, the typical viinä bottles were used during the war to make molotov cocktails to stop Russian tanks Smile Nonetheless I am not particular to it, I prefer wine Cool

The weather is a bit soft at the moment between minus and plus 2 (Centigrade), the snow is late again this year Sad (But according to Dubya that is NOT a result of global warming). I can't imagine San Francisco as cold.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:31 am
Welcome, changetheworld! And we so can. Our plans have just been set back a wee bit...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:07 am
I don't like seeing one of our own getting beat up so much. We are all dealing with this in our own way.

Oddly enough I am over it now. I thought it would take longer. Probably the fact that I thought kerry would loose in the first place helped. Also the fact that he lost fair and square helped a whole lot. It kind of took away the anger I had since the last election.

Another thing that is helping me is that republicans including President Bush are getting the big head and I don't think that is going to go over well for very long. If we just let them shoot themselves in the foot maybe not too much damage will be done.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:12 am
I agree revel. And welcome, changetheworld. I too find A2K a sort of refuge.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:28 am
Anybody else starting to think that the binLaden video really did help Bush? It seems a lot of undecideds I know made up their minds shortly after it came out. Sort of a screw binLaden I'm voting for Bush, thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:33 am
I dunno. I saw somewhere that it had been a really bad week for Bush... the missing explosives (whatever happened to them??), I forget what else but Bush was on the defensive all week. Then, Friday afternoon was the video, and it reinforced a lot of Bush's strengths -- war president, don't switch horses (I saw Phoenix express specific concern about that), generally pushed a lot of fear buttons. It also stopped the explosives etc. line of discussion.

I don't know if it made THE difference, but it might have given things a nudge.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:38 am
I don't think it made that much of a difference. I think a lot of peole just were not getting polled way out in the middle of nowhere like my state.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 07:45 am
Changetheworld........welcome. I have only recently moved to New York, but before I moved, I was living in Texas. So a2k provided me a way to get off the farm, so to speak. And even though I'm now living in Manhattan and there are more (many more) people who think like me, I still love a2k (sometimes). It's certainly a community of thinkers (most of us). Anyway, I'm happy to meet you.

revel wrote:
Quote:
Another thing that is helping me is that republicans including President Bush are getting the big head and I don't think that is going to go over well for very long. If we just let them shoot themselves in the foot maybe not too much damage will be done.

I don't know, revel. I've been saying this for four years now. I am perpetually amazed that it doesn't happen. Bush and his White House crowd say and do the most outrageous things and they get more popular. Scary. Really scary. I don't even want to think about it. I can't do anything about it other than work towards next time........and believe me, I will do that, starting now. In the meantime.........that's what I'm worried about. The last four years were much worse than I imagined they would be.......what are we in for next?
0 Replies

changetheworld

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:01 am
I was quite surprised (and a bit horrified) at the substantial amount of votes Bush received. I know that in my immediate surroundings there are a lot of Repbulicans (although I am proud to say that my county at least suppored Kerry). However, I find it difficult to believe that so many people are snowed by his false promises and bad track record. I just can't imagine why people would want another four years of this. The only answer I can find is the scare tactics that Bush used to sway the voters: "You don't want to switch presidents mid-war -- what kind of signal would that be to our enemies" etc.

At least we are walking into it eyes wide open. We know that Bush isn't going to mend fences and try to get everyone to unite -- because he said that four years ago and he immediately went on to persue a right-wing agenda that left anyone even in the middle of the fence out in the cold. We know that it will most likely get worse before it gets better. I just wonder when it will become evident to the rest of the United States.

I also have to say I am glad that the rest of the world is in our corner, not that it probably matters. I guess maybe they will let us come live with them (like the stepchildren that we are) until this whole mess is over! Kidding of course!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:08 am
changetheworld.......try this thread. It will do your heart good.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38105&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=170
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:08 am
Hi, changetheworld. Bi-Polar Bear and I live in Raleigh. Wake County also went Kerry, but the rest of the state seems to have taken over.

With all of the northerners that have moved in over the last several years, I had hoped... 2000 was close, too. Perhaps 2008 will aloow us to turn blue.

Anyways, welcome to A2K. Great place. Hope to get to know you better through your posts.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
Anybody else think it ironic that Bush's bachelors degree was in History? Does he strike you as someone who enjoys and understands history?
0 Replies