Weeping and gnashing of teeth

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
The first time I see Kerry's face I'm gonna absolutely lose it. Haven't turned on the TV yet today.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
...a very sad day for many
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:38 am
According to the New York Times (moments ago) Kerry has conceded in a call to President Bush.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:40 am
Yep, mentioned it on the previous page.

I feel like absolute crap.

Will it mean anything to the world that 48% of us voted for Kerry?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
There's only one thing left to do, let's have a civil war!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
Excuse me, but I hafta go throw up.

Perhaps I should stay off A2K today. It will be tough not to get banned here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
littlek wrote:

I do not think that is an impossiblity, but I'm not betting on it either.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
I know what you mean, Eva.

That's part of why I'm hoping to keep this one little thread a safe haven.

I gotta talk, but don't quite trust what I'll say.

Is nimh up yet? I want to talk to him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:43 am
I wasn't serious, Acq.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
It's really frustrating, isn't it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
Horribly.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
Quote:

I've been thinking about this all day.

IF one believes strongly in what one believes in,

AND the election shows that those who disagree have control,

Then one only has two choices; acceptance, or civil disobdience.

I'm starting a new thread on it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:00 am
littlek wrote:
I wasn't serious, Acq.

I'm not certain that I'm not.

One of the deciding issues in this election was "values". Those are the feeling of right or wrong, moral or immoral that we attach to behavior, opinion, and"world view" (how we understand the world should be). There is a growing and increasingly rancorous divide on this issue.

One example, you are female. You can expect the basic assumption about your status in this society, what is acceptable behavior for you, and the legal protections for those behaviors and status, will under go a serious legal challenge on "moral" grounds. I have no idea how this will play out. The more radical conservative claims on this issue may fail because the changes in the status of women in this society have been too broadly adopted and benifit too many interests. But I'm certain the challenge will be made.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:19 am
I know how you guys feel, I started feeling that last night and kind of ruined the little party thing going on there when Kerry lost Vermont. I don't really know why, but at that point I knew it was over. Also the fact that President Bush got so many of the popular vote is really depressing.

We have to face the fact that for some reason a little more than the majority of Americans love Bush and really believe in him and all his policies. Religion plays a big part in it this time for the rural people, they ranked that over economics.

Clyp...is right. We do either have to accept it or keep fighting it. The trouble I have is that we have been fighting it for over four years. This religious stuff started before (now) President Bush took office. 9/11 just enforced the trend that was already taking place.

Clearly we have to take another approach than directly just blurting out things like, "bush is a liar." Even if we give all kind of logical reasons with proof to back it up (and I know people have); it still don't work. People have seem to have dug into their beliefs and have denied the truth staring at them in the face.

I mean think about that prison abuse scandal thing. What other administration would have survived something like that much less it being hardly a whisper. What other administration would have gotten away with loosing so many jobs? The list is endless, yet still people seem to believe in him against all logic.

So I am not sure what good civil disobedience will do if people are blind and refuse to listen.

People just don't care if it is unfair to certain Americans if they can't marry.

People just don't care if we go to war for no reason and lie about it to boot.

People just don't care if some Americans are denied attorneys because they are held for months and months without charge.

We talk about changing the hearts of minds of Iraqi's, I think we should think about changing the hearts of minds of our people. But I don't hold out much hope.

Boy, I could weep and gnash all day and still never feel any better. I am just sick sick sick sick sick sick. It was more than an election this time, it was much more, and it is like more than half the country was blind to it.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that we are being taken over by some kind of weird cultish religious outfit that has half the population brainwashed. Or maybe half the population always felt that way they just didn't have anyone in office who felt the same as they did and now they do. I think the last thing I said is right. Which is worse than being brainwashed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
Quote:
We have to face the fact that for some reason a little more than the majority of Americans love Bush and really believe in him and all his policies.

revel-I am not so sure of that. Had the Democrats put up a person who was a conservative Democrat, I would have voted for him. Even though I agreed with Kerry on his social policies, I did not think that he possessed the qualities that we need to fight terrorism.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
What qualities does a president need to fight terrorism? Maybe that is where the big disconnect is.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:32 am
It is extremely frustrating to be from a blue state.
We feel so out-of-synch -- the hopeful party I was at last night ended with little to cheer about, other than we will continue to maintain our two female senators in Congress.

I wonder if Canada would consider annexing a long bit of Pacific coastline all the way to Mexico?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
How exaclty is Bush 'fighting terrorism' anyway? That's a sound bite, not a policy.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

It's over, folks. Kerry has conceded.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Maybe everyone has forgotten the 'war on drugs'. That sure worked out well.
0 Replies