Results! Election night'04 ... your armchair expert analysis

msolga

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:33 pm
Laughing Embarrassed

fbaezer

I got the 2 of you confused! Admire both your contributions immensely!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:08 pm
I don't argue with Nimh about the polls either. But to say that polling information was not being leaked and to say that the vast majority of it was not suggesting Kerry was doing very well is just dumb. Because it was and because it did. And it did it so consistently it is very difficult to believe it was not intentional. I don't care what the spreads were; only that Bush did better than the projections and that is a good thing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
fbaezer wrote:

There may be no ABSOLUTE need of healing. Yet, President Bush has the chance of extending his hand and compromising on some issues dear to the losers of yesterday's election. If he grabs the opportunity, he may be remembered as a leader in a difficult time for America.
I fear he read the electoral result as a referendum in favor of his more radical policies. I fear he will miss the chance, and help make the political, social and cultural divide among the Americans, and between the US and the rest of the world, even wider.

It isn't fair to prejudge Bush or to presume to know his internal motivations.

I sense that many liberals believe that if they lose an election the winner owes them compromise, but of they win they have an irresistable mandate. This isn't due either.

America is no more divided today than it has been throuighout most of its history - a history that includes a bloody civil war and numerous bitterly fought elections. Despite this our republic still stands. The French, by contrast, had their revolution a decade later and, after a couple of subsequent bouts of monarchy and absolutism, have managed to run through five distinct republics, each with a new constitution - they are now on number six. Who is divided?

I like fbaezer too.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:30 pm
Good evening yall. johnboy is devastated by the outcome but resigned to the result. johnboy is also very sleepy, having stayed up some 6 hours past his normal bedtime watching this thing slip away.
I don't know if there is a post-mortem thread going on A2K yet, but here are a few thoughts. (1) The Dems will probably assemble a firing squad in a circle in the next few days/weeks; (2) No more liberals from NE; (3) No more senators whose voting records on complicated issues can be easily ridiculed;
(4) The Dems got blind-sided by the Moral Values issue-which I think of as their (my) attitude towards abortion and gay-rights, for example. Many Catholics, fundamentalist Protestants, blacks and Hispanics may support the policies of the Dems on other issues but...

I could go on to (5), (6) or (7) but that is enough for now.

Many thanks nimh, for sharing your interest in and knowledge of US politics. It's been very enjoyable. -johnboy-
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:37 pm
mandate=fiat
In my experience Fiats seem to last no more than 5 years and then it's off to the junkyard. God speed President Bush.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:39 pm
fbaezer writes
Quote:
There may be no ABSOLUTE need of healing. Yet, President Bush has the chance of extending his hand and compromising on some issues dear to the losers of yesterday's election. If he grabs the opportunity, he may be remembered as a leader in a difficult time for America.
I fear he read the electoral result as a referendum in favor of his more radical policies. I fear he will miss the chance, and help make the political, social and cultural divide among the Americans, and between the US and the rest of the world, even wider.

If the majority of Americans didn't support Bush in many or most of his more radical ideas, Kerry would have won. In his acceptance speech, GWB did extend a hand of coopration to all those who didn't vote for him and repeated Kerry's desire to find some way for all sides to work together. He did this after his first election too. And the Dems attempted to cut him off at the knees. Cooperation has to work both ways. Bush has demonstrated he is willing to do that. So far the other side has not.

It has occurred to me though that Kerry's concession speech was very magnanimous and quite good. Had he spoken that way with conviction throughout the campaign, he might have won. He now says he plans to work as a senator for a better America. It occurs to me that he had all these great plans he was going to implement re Iraq, health care, the economy, etc. once he was elected president. The way to do most of it is through an action of Congress. Let's see how many of those plans he writes into and submits as bills.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:45 pm
Even more interesting will be to see how many bills of any democrat the republicans willl allowed to be submitted in this new congress.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 06:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Even more interesting will be to see how many bills of any democrat the republicans willl allowed to be submitted in this new congress.

Probably about as many as there were judicial nominations that were not obstructed in the Senate by Daschle.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:01 pm
Hey Larry nice to see you here, btw on the supremes nomination idea being obstructed, just how many were there, you know precentage wise, that were blocked by the dems, any idea?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:02 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Hey Larry nice to see you here, btw on the supremes nomination idea being obstructed, just how many were there, you know precentage wise, that were blocked by the dems, any idea?

<grin>
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Don't know. Didn't really keep up with how many times a vote on any nominee was blocked but it seemed every time I turned on C-SPAN that was what was happening. Perhaps I will see the same with Dem attempts to introduce legislation.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:13 pm
I hear you loud and clear, statments offered without factual basis, interesting. good work Larry.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:49 pm
Here are some facts, in case Larry would like a review...
I just peeked & found that the Senate Judiciary Committee has a pretty good report...
Quote:
Status of Article III Judicial Nominations

Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Total number of President George W. Bush judges confirmed: 201

from this http://judiciary.senate.gov/nominations.cfm website that anyone could look at, even a Republican. Very Happy

I also found a surprisingly long list that named the more important

Confirmed Bush Judges

Carlos Bea
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 09/30/2003

Judge William Duane Benton
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 6/24/2004

Larry Block
Nominated to: Court of Federal Claims
Status of nomination: Confirmed 10/2/2002

Jay S. Bybee
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Status of nomination: Hearing 2/05/03; Confirmed

Judge Connie Callahan
Nominated to: US Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 05/22/2003

Professor Paul G. Cassell
Nominated to: U.S. District Court for the District of Utah, 10th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/13/2002

Michael Chertoff
Nominated to: U.S Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 6/9/03

Steven Colloton
Status of nomination: Confirmed 09/04/2003

Justice Deborah Cook
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 05/05/2003

Allyson Duncan
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 7/17/2003

Mike Fisher
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 12/09/2003

Judge Roger Gregory
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 7/20/2001

Raymond Gruender
Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/20/2004

Peter W. Hall
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals , 2nd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 6/24/2004

James Leon Holmes
Nominated to: Judge, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
Status of nomination: Confirmed 7/6/2004

Jeffrey Howard
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 4/23/2002

Professor Michael McConnell
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 11/15/2002

Michael W. Mosman
Nominated to: U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
Status of nomination: Confirmed 09/25/2003

Judge Barrington Parker
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 10/11/2001

Judge Edward C. Prado
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/1/03

Professor William Riley
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 8/2/2001

John Roberts
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/8/2003

Judge Dennis Shedd
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 11/19/2002

Judge D. Brooks Smith
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 7/31/2002

Judge William H. Steele
Nominated to: Federal district court
Status of nomination: Confirmed 3/13/2003

Jeffrey Sutton
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 4/29/2003

Diane Sykes
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 06/24/2004

Timothy Tymkovich
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 4/01/2003

Judge Franklin S. Van Antwerpen
Nominated to: U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/20/2004

Judge Richard Wesley
Nominated to: U.S Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
Status of nomination: Confirmed 6/11/03

Victor J. Wolski
Nominated to: United States Court of Federal Claims
Status of nomination: Confirmed 7/10/2003
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 07:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I hear you loud and clear, statments offered without factual basis, interesting. good work Larry.

Did I mention the number of times a particular nominee's up or down vote was blocked? No I didn't, because I did not know.

But I would not be at all surprised if it was not as many blocked votes (multiple blocks per nominee) as there were confirmations...211 was it?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:24 pm
Please. Go and check. Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
But to say that polling information was not being leaked [..] is just dumb

Good thing I never said that then, eh? I've even said "so you have a good point about leaking data thats still incomplete and unreliable", and everything.

<fails to repress the overwhelming urge to time and again ask Fox, in amazement more than annoyance, "do you actually read the posts you argue with?">

(Yes, its annoying that I cant repress such urges. But I'm still young. Razz)

Foxfyre wrote:
and to say that the vast majority of it was not suggesting Kerry was doing very well is just dumb. Because it was and because it did. And it did it so consistently it is very difficult to believe it was not intentional. I don't care what the spreads were; only that Bush did better than the projections and that is a good thing.

You assert that the "vast majority" of the leaked exit polling suggested "Kerry was doing very well", but you don't actually "care what the spreads were"? What are we talking about here? How else do you measure how much of a "runaway" victory they were predicting, as you remember it?

'K, unless some real expert wants to weigh in (fbaezer?) I'm gonna wrap this up in 10 points.

1. The preliminary raw exit polling data, that was leaked through eg Slate, had Kerry doing better than what the actual results turned out to be.

2. "Better" in the overwhelming majority of cases (I just cited the numbers above) meant that they had Kerry doing 1 or 2% better than what he turned out to get, and/or Bush 1 or 2% worse.

3. Being off by 1 or 2% per candidate meant that they suggested the wrong winner for a whole bunch of extremely close races. After all, if a race has the candidates within 2-3% of each other, a poll only needs to be off on the candidates by just the odd percent or two to already call it for the wrong guy.

4. The 1-2% by which the leaked preliminary data from the exit polls were off on the candidates are well within what a regular poll's margin of error would have been. (I dont have a clue what the MoE for these exit polls were.)

5. Polls always have a margin of error, it automatically results from the by nature limited scope of their samples - you can't cover the entire electorate. Reading a poll you should therefore always be aware there is some "statistical noise" that can impact the results of any poll either way.

6. (opinion) To assume that because an exit poll has the numbers off by a number thats well within your regular margin of error, it must have been tampered with, is absurd.

7. Lest we forget, when we're talking about how these data were off, we're talking of the leaked, preliminary "raw data" from the exit polls that emerged in the early evening. The actual, processed exit poll data that you can still look back up on the net now, has all the races I checked practically at the very numbers of the actual results.

8. The leaked, preliminary data that you heard "screaming" about Kerry victories was in fact mostly disseminated on the net. Drudge had them, Slate had them. The mainstream broadcast media outlets (MSM is the current term, I believe) were in fact extremely cautious in using them. They never once called Florida or Ohio for Kerry - and actually waited calling any of the controversial states until unusually late in the evening.

As Howard Kurtz notes, "Four years after their botched calls in Florida produced the longest night of humiliation in television history, network executives were determined to be far more cautious in predicting the state-by-state outcomes."

9. Slate did have a clear agenda when it decided to leak the preliminary exit poll data. However, it was not trying to spin pro-Kerry numbers in order to influence voters. It's on a crusade to undermine the secrecy network journalists surround these data with. It did the same in 2000, and it explained why here.

Slate concludes:

Quote:
The Washington Post's Howard Kurtz captured the naivety of Tucker Carlson, who, on Crossfire, lashed out at what he considered a faulty data dump: "Somebody should reassess exit polling," Carlson said. "It's useless." When Juan Williams threw a similar fit on Fox News Channel about the worthlessness of the exit polls, William Kristol attempted to calm him by noting the obvious: Exit polls are polls, and all polls contain a margin of error. To that Kristol could have added that no poll is better than the methodology behind it; that exit polls weren't designed to predict winners; and that no state was given to either candidate due to them.

10. They're polls. And they're just polls. They're bound to be off somewhere within the margin of errors, and preliminary 'raw' data is all the more. Doesnt need to be some big conspiracy behind it. They just cant properly predict a race that's within two percentage points. But considering how the final exit poll data has every race almost exactly right, they do supply us with the most valuable data we have on the demographic breakdowns behind the elections.

I think that about covers it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:35 pm
<grins at msolga's confusion and fbaezer's gracious reply, which in turn was unreasonably flattering to me ...>
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:40 pm
Larry434 wrote:
But I would not be at all surprised if it was not as many blocked votes (multiple blocks per nominee) as there were confirmations...211 was it?[/color]

Nah, nowhere near. You may be right about C-SPAN: a blocked nominee is going to get an hour of news reporting for every minute spent on an approved nominee; thats how it works. But in fact the overwhelming majority of nominees were passed, and the number of nominees that were blocked formed no greater proportion on the whole than those blocked by the Republicans in Congress under the Clinton administrations.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:45 pm
nimh wrote:
Larry434 wrote:
But I would not be at all surprised if it was not as many blocked votes (multiple blocks per nominee) as there were confirmations...211 was it?[/color]

Nah, nowhere near. You may be right about C-SPAN: a blocked nominee is going to get an hour of news reporting for every minute spent on an approved nominee; thats how it works. But in fact the overwhelming majority of nominees were passed, and the number of nominees that were blocked formed no greater proportion on the whole than those blocked by the Republicans in Congress under the Clinton administrations.

The Democratic filibusters of nominee's up for a floor vote were unprecedented except for one time in hjestory when the threat of a filbuster caused the nominee's name to be retracted.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 08:48 pm
dyslexia wrote:
mandate=fiat
In my experience Fiats seem to last no more than 5 years and then it's off to the junkyard. God speed President Bush.

Well I had a really neat spyder that lasted ten years (with lots of TLC)
0 Replies