An "Ask Auntie Lowan" Digression.

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@ehBeth,
You don't know feta?

I loathe it!!!!

FETA CHEESE

Feta is a classic and famous Greek curd cheese whose tradition dates back thousands of years and is still made by shepherds in the Greek mountains with unpasteurized milk. It was originally made with goat's or sheep's milk, but today much is often made commercially with pasteurized cow's milk (the firmer cow's milk version is made for export). The curdled milk (curdled with rennet) is separated and allowed to drain in a special mold or a cloth bag. It is cut into large slices (feta means 'slice') that are salted and then packed in barrels filled with whey or brine.
Salted and cured in a brine solution (which can be either water or whey) for a week to several months (this is why it is sometimes called a 'pickled' cheese). Feta dries out rapidly when removed from the brine.
Feta cheese is white, usually formed into square cakes, and can range from soft to semi-hard, with a tangy, salty flavor that can range from mild to sharp. Its fat content can range from 30 to 60 percent; most is around 45 percent milk fat. It is now made in many countries, but usually the pasteurized cow's milk version, on a commercial scale.
Feta is delicious crumbled over salads (the Classic Greek Salad), or together with sliced tomatoes, sprinkled with olive oil and fresh herbs. It is also used as a filling for puff pastry (feuilletes)

http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/Courses/his452/Feta%20Wars/feta%20cheese%20picture.jpg

Yecccchhhhhhh.....
patiodog

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@dlowan,
Dear Auntie Lowan:

Why are you so stupid? Feta is good. Dumb rabbit auntie.

Love always,
boots
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:32 pm
@patiodog,
feta is scrumpdillyiscious

mmmmmmmmm

I just wanted more details on where it was being served. Somewhere near a librarian?
dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:34 pm
@patiodog,
Feta is good if you like a mouth full of arid salt, stinging vinegar, and ****.

I have tasted the odd very mild ne that I can just stomach.

As for goat's feta....I am violently disgusted by any goat milk product....makes me ill for days, and I can taste the horrible rankness for days, too.

But..to each their own.

Smooches,

Buns
dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Feta is EVERYWHERE in Oz.

Anywhere Greek....and we do Greek in a big way....and non-Greeks cook a lot of Greek, too....and they sneak it into non-Greek stuff like tarts and such where you don't know it's there until you gag.
dadpad

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:41 pm
@dlowan,
good (really good) fetta is creamy. Not like the acidy rubbish most Aust producers are making that you buy at the supermarket delli.

Get a grip.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@dlowan,
yanno my location?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/890042952_fe996b3701.jpg

I live in freakin' Greektown. Sometimes wonderful. Sometimes the smell of grilling meat can be a bit overwhelming.
dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:44 pm
@dadpad,
Yeah...I have tasted the good stuff...and I can stomach it...but I would never seek it out.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I hear you sister.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:51 pm
@dadpad,
Too many goats, not enough cheese-smythes, methinks...

(it's like bad booze in the big city)
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:22 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
a mouth full of arid salt, stinging vinegar, and ****

Thought for the week Buns! [lifted from Wikipedia]

Quote:
Rabbits are herbivores who feed by grazing on grass, forbs, and leafy weeds. In addition, their diet contains large amounts of cellulose, which is hard to digest. Rabbits solve this problem by passing two distinct types of feces: hard droppings and soft black viscous pellets, the latter of which are immediately eaten. Rabbits reingest their own droppings (rather than chewing the cud as do cows and many other herbivores) in order to fully digest their food and extract sufficient nutrients. [5] [6]

Rabbits graze heavily and rapidly for roughly the first half hour of a grazing period (usually in the late afternoon), followed by about half an hour of more selective feeding. In this time, the rabbit will also excrete many hard faecal pellets, being waste pellets that will not be reingested. If the environment is relatively non-threatening, the rabbit will remain outdoors for many hours, grazing at intervals. While out of the burrow, the rabbit will occasionally reingest its soft, partially digested pellets; this is rarely observed, since the pellets are reingested as they are produced. Reingestion is most common within the burrow between 8 o'clock in the morning and 5 o'clock in the evening, being carried out intermittently within that period.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
8 in the morning? Coffee.
5 in the afternoon? Some alcoholic beverage.

What is a forb anyhow?
dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 07:39 pm
@Mr Stillwater,
Don't ask me...I'm a Wabbit, not a rabbit.
Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:16 am
@dlowan,
So - what's a fworb then? Sheesh...
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:53 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Mr Stillwater wrote:

So - what's a fworb then? Sheesh...

The difference, my dear Pond, lies not simply in a letter....it is a whole species thing. I'm a Pookah.

We don't DO forbs.

However, we CAN google, and we aim to please:

Forbs are herbaceous flowering plants that are not graminoids (grasses, sedges and rushes). The term is frequently used in vegetation ecology, especially in relation to grasslands. Forbs represent a guild of plant species with broadly similar growth form, which in ecology is often more important than taxonomic relationship.

In addition to its use in ecological studies, the term forb may also be used for subdividing popular guides to the wildflowers of a region, together with other categories such as ferns, grasses, shrubs and trees. This approach is not followed in formal regional floras, which are usually organised taxonomically.

Some example forbs are clover, sunflower and milkweed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forb

http://www.noble.org/webapps/plantimagegallery/Forbs.aspx
blatham

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:32 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I'm a Pookah.

Ah...that explains why you're over my shoulders.
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I'm a Pookah.

Ah...that explains why you're over my shoulders.

It does? Shocked

How?

I'm right here.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:42 pm
Y'know, it is starting to make sense.......
http://www.denvergov.org/AboutDenver/images/LT_Tour_Stewart_in_Harvey.jpg
Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:33 am
Dear *Auntie* Deb,

Yesterday I had a couple of healthful beers with my friend Patiodog. After this we enjoyed some fine triple-distilled vodka and some even more healthful orange juice in a colourful (but no doubt healthful) concotion called a 'Vodka Sunrise'.

However, the sunrise today has been somewhat dulled by the sudden on-set of flu-like symptons. In particular:
1. a splitting headache
2. nausea & projectile vomiting
3. awakening in a the bathtub liberally covered in point 2
4. several street signs that weren't there yesterday
5. a blow-up sex-toy in my refrigerator
6. the word 'ASSWIPE' prominently printed on my forehead

Could you phone work and tell them I may not be in today? Ta.
dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 07:20 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Y'know, it is starting to make sense.......
http://www.denvergov.org/AboutDenver/images/LT_Tour_Stewart_in_Harvey.jpg

It always MADE sense.

The trouble is, for some, SEEING the sense.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 07:23 am
@Mr Stillwater,
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Dear *Auntie* Deb,

Yesterday I had a couple of healthful beers with my friend Patiodog. After this we enjoyed some fine triple-distilled vodka and some even more healthful orange juice in a colourful (but no doubt healthful) concotion called a 'Vodka Sunrise'.

However, the sunrise today has been somewhat dulled by the sudden on-set of flu-like symptons. In particular:
1. a splitting headache
2. nausea & projectile vomiting
3. awakening in a the bathtub liberally covered in point 2
4. several street signs that weren't there yesterday
5. a blow-up sex-toy in my refrigerator
6. the word 'ASSWIPE' prominently printed on my forehead

Could you phone work and tell them I may not be in today? Ta.

Sorry to hear of this sudden illness. How do you think you caught it?

I'm afraid it is WAY too late to phone your work...it is nearly midnight.

You may need to grovel a little tomorrow.

Take plenty of fluids and a Bex, dear.

0 Replies