I was a Hitch Hiking Professional

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:38 pm
In Oklahoma nobody picks you up. I got a ride out of Texas most of the way to Witchita, Kansas, but was in Oklahoma. I tried all day. Once I lay on the grassy shoulder and shut my eyes for a spell. A policeman roused me to see if I were okay. A motorist cared enough to call, but not to stop. Finally I started walking. As I neared the Kansas border a man finally gave me a ride to the outskirts of Witchita. Funny - They all had friendly faces but did not want to pick me up.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:17 pm
My girlfriend and I were thumbing one day and a car drove by and shot something at me and it hit me in the upper middle chest area, it didn't hurt to much but it startled the hell out of me. It missed my face by 6 inches. I consider myself fortunate.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
Yes society is not carring it's tolerence policy very far.I still think with todays cell phones,if each person accepts being photographed by each other their is some security involved.
I think I should open the hitchhiking website.Snap the picture send it in and theres a record to be cleared when you arrive. If the passenger does not communicate with the website posting then it automatically calls the person on the other end. This could revolutionize something great and further the fun of communication for the hitchhiking masses.

www.cellphonehitchhiker.com OR www.cphh.com Or www.cph.com or CellPhoneHiker.com
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:02 am
Now I am off to Crete for some months.I am speaking rudimentaRY GREEK but I also have the perpensity for charades.Knowing somevocabulary I can usually mimic my questions and exclamations. When in a foreign land I always extoll the beauty as things go passing by.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:01 am
Oh Algis, take me with you, I'll wear a push-up bra, no standing in the rain for long hours in our future!

Good luck and have lots of fun. Make sure you come back and tell us about your adventure.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:19 am
Love to paulaj,

You see in Crete it can dissle and slightly rain around the mountains in the center of the island. On the south coast. You walk in slight rain with 2 rainbows there all day looking south it's a blue sky. You get to walk on the mountain roads just below the peaks with conditions like this. This year I finally got a good rain jacket so I can spend 4 toto 6 hours hiking the trails looking for mimetoliths. Under the aegis of rainbows and the legends of Zues, the Minotar and ickaris...

Such a beautifull place and so hospitable that one can nary go wrong.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
I want to talk about hitch hiking and green eating. While on Crete through out the winter months a variety of wild greens grow the biggest collection and healthiest collection of them in the world. They grow in their allotted period and people are out there all the time combing the various places for them. Then in the market you find wonderfull blends of these greens that are one of the reasons the diet in crete in onre of the best and healthiest in the world.

So this last year thumbing to maine and Back I was eating all the greens I had learned over the years and it must border on a dozen now. But there in the forests along the hitchhiking road lay a wealth of pure natural edible greens that I ate of readily because my tastebuds have been honed over the years by eating bitter dandalion greens , rapini and endive. Now raw roadside greens are not for evryone and I dare anyone to eat very much of it because they are extremely bitter. But to me bitter can now be tolerated considering these have more life fporce than all the green irradiated stuff everyone is eating. You actually get to commune with nature thatlooking for the edible things is just a compliment to the process.

now that I am avidly looking for mimetoliths I carry a camera and walk and look satifying so many things. Then when a car comes by it's Yassoand we are off on a another mysterious trip of legend and myth where the more you seek the more you find.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:26 am
Sounds wonderful there.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:31 am
A hitchhiking professional in the good ole days used to sing along with certain songs as they came up. Beatle songs, Nights in white satin.. I found that sharing a song with the driver was really more than it seemed at the time and the next time you hear it you might be back with that driver again and that is part of the Hitchhiking Lore. You remeber people that you might never ordinarily think of that that is the basis for a starting of relationships which in the hitchhikers case is the next driver to be uplifted by your good mental thought process.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
Driving a mile or many in someones elses shoes. Sometimes if your extremely bored and someone picks u you up with neaderthal thinking. Don't clam up but agree with themdrive those miles in their shoes sort to speak and see what fun it can be exploring a dialogue of inane sponeiety.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:36 am
Maybe in the future when thumbing comes back we'll have the magic thumb kit. The kit is several colored thumbsto notify drivers in what sort of conversationalist they are picking up. For instance orange could be for a reader. Yellow could be for a joke teller.I used to love to imitate my favorite comedians wrapswhen Iwas hiking. Like try something from george carlins class clone.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
Algis

When you get back, come find me and I will send you the directions to that abandoned cabin I spoke of. It's open in the summer and you could actually sleep there, and more than likely not be disturbed. But you have to promise not to share this with to many people, or it won't stay a well kept secret. Wait till you see it, beautiful view, you could possibly stay for a week or who knows how long and no one would know you were there.

I'm thinking of doing that myself next summer. hehehe
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:11 pm
Wow great thanx what a thing to look forward to..
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
:-) I want to take the place over. I was up there 4 weeks ago, niiiiiiiiiiiiice.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:13 pm
Actually surfing a2k is much like hitchhiking and maybe that is why i like it. You never know who your going to meet or what pov's will be shared during your rides length. If you have a good subject, the ride can last a long time...like the never ending games here. Craven must be having one hell of a good hike on that one.

But getting back to you P. You were saying some mysterious things were you not or were you about to?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
Nothing mysterious, it's just that the place is not well known.
Secrets like this cabin are fun!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 03:14 pm
It,s nice to have cabin fever too......
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 03:55 pm
That cabin would be The Cabin to get it in :-)
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 07:47 am
Well this is just great paulaj...I was thinking of a cabin all summer long while editting 24 hours a day .
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:12 am
The first time I saw it was in March of this year, it was open and my friends and I walked through it. I went up 4 weeks ago and it was locked, perhaps they button it up for winter. There are beds with mattresses in it, but no running water.
There is one house nearby, caretaker possibly. There are 3 long roads to get to it, and then a steep walk up a hill.
It has electricity but is not turned on. It's so quiet, no noise polllution at all.

Your an editor?
0 Replies