I was a Hitch Hiking Professional

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:02 am
Yes indeed I was in the early seventies growing up in Maine HH was the only alternative if one had no car.Of coarse in maine in those days it was actually so easy to hitch a ride that why not?

As a professional HH I used to pride myself on good company.I would tell jokes keep the conversation going and always let the driver feel like the big one.

My philosophy was simple.To ensure the growth of HH my duty was to make the drivers desicion to pick me up was really quite fantastic.So that the next time on the road Imight get a ride again.

The brotherhood between driver and hitchhiker in those days was the best.On long distance hikes some people would invitwe you home to crash. This was the ultimate if you dared.Better to hitchhike in pairs though although rides alone happen quicker and the novelity is then in your hands.

I havn't hitchhiked in years but here in Quebec I,ve been doing it again. Seems up north here is still pretty safe and people do pick you up. My last HIKE was in the beginning of this summer. I hitchhiked from Montreal to Maine via Quebec city. It was early spring and although I had to sleepin someones barn along the way when I got caught out in the wilds at dusk.

The next day after passing the border I had conversations with those who gave me a lift that rekindled the good ole days for sure.

When your an excellent hitchhiker people go out of their way to help you. Driving you that extrabit to get the next lift. This is when you know you are successfull.

When hitching back from Maine to Montreal I did it down the highways of New England in the Drizzle. I had no rain coat no sleeping bag but still the rides and extras I got along the way was superb. I did the hitchhiking without map as well. This was very tough navigating the roads olf New England at the merci of people knowing their directions. One gentleman took me to the gas station and bought me a map.Then it felt easy as pie hiking.

Still along the way peoples children give you the finger and squish up their faqces at you.Certainly they ahve been misinformed or over informed.

I am hoping now with cell phones that take pictures hitch hiking might come back. Those willing to participate in the cultural exchange can do so safely by snapping the picture of each other before getting in and taking off and both parties are protected and maybe hitchhiking will become a reality.

I NEVER REALLY CARED FOR THE HIKERS I PICKED UP WHO COULDN,T HOLD A CONVERSATION OR EVEN JUST TALK ABOUT NOTHING LIKE ON SEINFELD"

Well I am going to Crete. And guess what ? I shall be hitching there and the promise of giving a good ride means learning enough Greek so that I can speak and say simple things like Your furnastow is delicious. The rain is good this time of year. What is your favorite food ? where is your favorite beach? and even though I will not understand much of the reply I shall nod my head and make mental note of every word spoken so that my next hike will be a little easier and kind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,768 • Replies: 76
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:11 am
I was hitchhiking one time and a station wagon filled with Chinese people picked me up. They all smiled and chattered away in their alien tongue as we whizzed down the road, me smiling and shaking my head the whole time.

In the back of my mind I wondered if they were saying, "We take you home now and cook you like dog."

I know that might sound a little racist, but trust me it wasn't. I was heavily under the influence of some very powerful weed and my imagination was running wild.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Algis, sounds like you have HH down to a science.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:54 pm
Hi PaulaJ & GUS"""

Do what I can, the conversationa can go anywhere.It's fun to make apersons day simply by being full of Hitch hiking enthusiasm.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:55 pm
Hi PaulaJ & GUS"""

Do what I can, the conversationa can go anywhere.It's fun to make apersons day simply by being full of Hitch hiking enthusiasm.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 09:55 pm
Hi PaulaJ & GUS"""

0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:10 pm
Algis

Are you Hijacking your own thread? Laughing I pick up HH's if I know them, but it's rare that I see anyone I know HHing.

It's just not a good idea for a girl to pick up a strange man, I usually have at least one child in my car.

Although if I see a woman walking and it's cold I'll drive up and ask if she wants a ride, especially if she walking with kid's, it can get pretty cold around here in the winter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:15 pm
In the 60s hitch hiking was my preferred method of travel. Then I met a number of unpleasant situations and took to freight train riding. Eventually I teamed up with my brother in Kansas City and began driving again. Here in Houston, hitching is not a thing to be tried even.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:23 pm
edgar
HH and freight train hopping.....you little rascal!

I feel like a snob saying I won't pick up a man that is thumbing but I just don't take chances like that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:26 pm
It was an experience I will always treasure. Even the hard times some of it brought was well worth it. If I were young and single and living someplace else I would start it up again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:31 pm
Wow, reading this tread reminds me of when I was HHing around america.
But diffrent stuation.. I was 14 and homeless.
Still a wonerful adventure!
I will read up on your thread now and again and live vicariously through you!
Happy trails and the best of health and luck to you on your next trip!
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2004 10:37 pm
Well well I'm not the only girl on A2K that has thumbed (i was feeling unique).

SheW

I also HH when I was 14, I did it to visit my friends who lived a few towns away. I never got hurt but did have a close call one time.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:53 am
Hi Edgar,

Maybe it was ,and I didn't know it,but being a visual artist helps.I've been so many places. One time I HH from Edmonton to Norridgewock, Maine. I got stuck in the flat praries and do I mean flat.Big shy country really. I there too slept the night in a barn.But now I remember I was the only figure in such a magnificent setting. Like a living painting.The nextday when I got a ride a local said. I am from here and decided I could not stand it anymore and left.

Went to the mountains and the big city and then after several years decided this in it,s minimalistic way was more beautifull and peacefull than all of the rest of the places I have lived.
Now I remember those days me.19 on the flat plain ,fluffy white clouds.A morning after the night rain was greated by sweet smelling sunshine and the promise of etherial beauty. And now in my memory too that time spent there livesd on like a movie with no details but that of the great earth gaia and myself. In all the distance the eye could see dancing with the clouds , beside the road wondering that I can always return in my dreams to a place I called home somewhere along the road in SE Saskatchewan.

I never tired railway passage although in Maine where I grew up the train used to pass behind my home between the rolling hills and the Kennebec River I would always run to the passing the train for the conductors would always throw out a bag of popcorn or chips.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:00 am
paulaj wrote:
Well well I'm not the only girl on A2K that has thumbed (i was feeling unique).

SheW

I also HH when I was 14, I did it to visit my friends who lived a few towns away. I never got hurt but did have a close call one time.

I know the feeling.
Im sure you get the same responce I do when you tell someone that.

The look at you like you are crazy,
Laugh , make a joke..
Then ask .. " Are you serious?!"
Laughing
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 09:06 am
I don't tell to many people, infact I forgot about it, it was so long ago.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:27 pm
One of the finer moments of HH is the first contact. The first meeting of eyes and the Hitch Hikers note of gratitude.It all lies in this one little aspect. The good hello ,thanks for picking me up wrap is quite the thing to expand upon. If you have a
complacent thanks for stopping for me then the whole aspect of building up good HH style berings one back to thumbing on a deserted highway.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:30 pm
There was a period for me in !972 when I had long hair and everyone else who had long hairwould pick u up.This was great because it was still life under the peace love life banner and meeting other like minded folks was always a pleasure and duty.

Then it was only a matter of time before a van passed with some like minded hippies and they would pick you upand the party of findingothers like ourselves up there in Maine was quite wonderfull for a few years.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 02:37 pm
Algis

Have you been to the desert in Maine? I have heard about it in the past, and just watched a mini documentary about it.
Folklore, as the story goes one of the owners 2nd wife did not keep a deathbed promise to her husband,(giving the property to HIS son and not HER son from previous marriage) after his death the sand started to fill in the property. It's a large amount of land I believe. 50 acres?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 08:58 pm
And everyone called her Windy?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:14 pm
Everyone called who Windy?
0 Replies