No Mammograms!

husker

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:54 pm
Breast Cancer in Men link
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 06:23 pm
offering a (((((((((( husker ))))))))))))))).

where's that dang hug thread?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:07 am
Hug-a-bug!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:11 pm
I'm back.............. Phew! Close call I guess. I do have a mass about the size of a quarter, mammogram and and Ultra-sound were read by a Doctor. They want me to get a check-up in 6 months. Doc said today it's not uncommon for men to develop some tissue like that of a females. And it's kind of be like a young girl going through puberty\development. I guess the ladies know what I'm saying.<blush>

It was interesting as they sent me to the women's center\radiology for the tests, so I was the only guy in a room of about 15-20 women.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:14 pm
wow, what a guy! A weaker man would have run screaming for a football game and a cold beer....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:18 pm
There's now a group of folks - friends of mine that want me to be a mentor for a few other guys, one for sure his father died for male breast cancer.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:23 pm
the wonders of human bonding are never more inspiring than in times like these. My father had angina a few years ago, changed his life and many many men turned to him for help when they were diagnosed with heart disease. In turn, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago and he received tremendous support from men who'd gone through various forms of treatment.

You can be a poster boy. Maybe start a group of men who've survived to 'be there' for the newly diagnosed.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:47 pm
Husker:

Was a biopsy taken? If not be sure to request one. I truly question a 6 month interval. After the biopsy, be sure to get another opinion.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:48 pm
Ultrasound on the breast?

I've only heard of ultrasound on the ovaries to evaluate ovarian cancer. Shocked
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 01:56 pm
New Haven - no biopsy taken - they were pretty sure, looking at the tissue, with both x-rays and ultra-sound. I do not have ANY cancer history in my family or any of the other signs that go with male breat cancer. So I'm ok for now, unless something changes.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 02:23 pm
That's good! Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
Thank God, husker.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:39 am
Bravo for Husker! It takes a real man to not run the other way when confronted with a mamogram.

Male breast cancer has received a lot of attention in my city. A male breast cancer survivor signed up for the Race for the Cure - when he arrived and requested his race T-shirt identifying him as a survivor several women became upset and accused him of horning in on a "women's issue".

This man has gone on to become quite an activist in bringing this health issue to the attention of men and has surely saved a few lives.

Good luck to you on your next check up!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:47 am
boomerang
thanks! Wonderful story abou the man.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:47 am
Husker- Yippee! Very Happy

New Haven- I have had ultrasound on my breasts, many times. If a mammogram is taken, and somthing is seen that is suspicious but not conclusive, the docs will order an ultrasound just to make sure!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2003 08:59 am
Phoenix - then why not just do ultrasounds and not mammograms?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:10 am
Interesting, I never heard of sonograms on breasts. But if the breast tissue is very dense, it could probably be a useful tool in diagnosis. Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
I think that this explains the situation clearly, and will answer your Q littlek:

Link to Breast ultrasound
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:27 am
Phoenix:

Good link.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 10:28 am
Doctors are also using ultrasound guided breast biopsies to determine whether a suspicious lump is benign or mallignant:
Link to Ultrasound Guided Breast Biopsy
0 Replies