Wasserman Schultz

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2017 07:22 pm
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/326442-debbie-wasserman-schultz-dems-are-already-a-grassroots-party

Until we shake out Democrats like her, we will always be the party that might have been great but may not get the chance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,865 • Replies: 94

hightor

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 04:33 am
@edgarblythe,
What'd she say here that people find so objectionable? I don't see that she said much of anything.
Quote:
“If we were not [a 'grassroots' party], we would not have been able to help bring down the absolutely abhorrent healthcare repeal bill that would have knocked 24 million people over 10 years off of their healthcare.”

Dems weren't going to vote for that measure anyway — it was defeated by the Freedom Kooks.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 06:28 am
@hightor,
Pretty sure it's what she's said and done previously that makes her so objectionable.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2017 08:08 pm
@hightor,
They are complaining about her wanting Hillery to be president rather than St. Bernie. In retaliation for this grave sin they elected Trump. One can be educated but stupidity is forever.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 08:38 am
The dinosaurs in the Democratic party are losing the entire nation to right wing extremism. Governorships, congress, presidency, Supreme Court. Meanwhile condemning a man (Sanders) as extremist and rejecting positive change. What makes Sanders an extremist? He stands for these fundamentals: 1. restoring the New Deal (adjusted for the times) 2. Universal health care 3. money out of politics.

Money out of politics? The dinosaurs are there lapping it out of the same trough as the Republicans.
Universal health care? "It ain't gonna happen." - Hillary.
Restoring New Deal? The Dems helped write out much of it.
hightor

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:40 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The dinosaurs in the Democratic party are losing the entire nation to right wing extremism.

Then it will be the duty of the next generation of radicals to expose the social deficiencies caused by the implementation of conservative political philosophy. That's how the populists have taken power in the US and elsewhere — they exploit the dissatisfaction of the electorate by comparing the promises made by liberal politicians with their own economic reality.
Quote:
Meanwhile condemning a man (Sanders) as extremist and rejecting positive change.

I never heard him condemned as an "extremist" by Democrats, though. I never heard anyone condemn him "as a man", only that they didn't support his candidacy. A lot of establishment Dems just didn't find him appealing — and a lot of the people who did weren't even (registered) Democrats.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 07:35 pm
@hightor,
I only rejected Bernie because he wasent in the democrat party. None of the republicans would not have supported him and many of the dems would have opposed him because he wasent dem and hadent supported the party. He has many good ideas but our next candidate needs to be a young liberal party member. Not a 70 something over the hill politician.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:25 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I only rejected Bernie because he wasent in the democrat party. ... Not a 70 something over the hill politician.

How old is the person that you voted for?
roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Not nice, Max.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:47 pm
@roger,
But honest.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 09:54 pm
I, a long time democrat on the lefty side, moderately active, have no clue who Wasserman Schultz is.

If I don't, what other dems do?

Maybe it's the double name. When I married, I became double named for a while, but doctor's offices kept calling me his family name, not the duo name and the family didn't like me, or me, them. I went back to me, being the last of my father's family, still am. Things tempered later, but I still go by my father's name.
McGentrix

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 10:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Wiki on her.

Quote:
Chairperson of the Democratic National Committee[edit]

Chair Wasserman Schultz speaking to the College Democrats of America
On April 5, 2011, Vice President Joe Biden announced that Wasserman Schultz was President Barack Obama's choice to succeed Tim Kaine as the 52nd Chair of the Democratic National Committee. Until she assumed office, current DNC Vice-Chair Donna Brazile served as the interim Chair of the Democratic National Committee. Wasserman Schultz was confirmed at the meeting of the DNC held on May 4, 2011, in Washington, D.C.[54]

During an appearance on Face the Nation, Wasserman Schultz said, "The Republicans have a plan to end Medicare as we know it. What they would do is they would take the people who are younger than 55 years old today and tell them, 'You know what? You're on your own. Go and find private health insurance in the health-care insurance market.'".[55] Four non-partisan fact-checkers called her claim false.[56] She then came under criticism for her comments on Washington Watch with Roland Martin, in which she said, "You have the Republicans, who want to literally drag us all the way back to Jim Crow laws and literally—and very transparently—block access to the polls to voters who are more likely to vote for Democratic candidates than Republican candidates". The next day, she stated that "Jim Crow was the wrong analogy to use".[57]

In 2012, many of Obama's advisers questioned the move to select Wasserman Schultz as his DNC chairwoman, who they felt came across as too partisan on television. An internal focus study of the popularity of top Obama campaign surrogates ranked Wasserman Schultz at the bottom.[58] In February 2015, Politico, citing unnamed sources, reported that Wasserman Schultz had lined up supporters in 2013 to portray any decision by Barack Obama to replace her as DNC chair as "anti-woman and anti-Semitic".[59]

Wasserman Schultz has also been criticized for what has been termed her "frequent absences" from Congress. In 2011, she missed 62 votes of Congress, placing her 45th of 535 in missing Congressional votes.[60] She has been criticized for her frequent appearances on MSNBC. Dylan Ratigan accused her of coming on his show and just "doing talking points". He later apologized for his "very rude" conduct.[61]

2016 Presidential election[edit]
Clinton's opponents, Martin O'Malley and Bernie Sanders, separately criticized the decision by Wasserman Schultz to schedule only six debates in the 2016 Presidential Primary, fewer than in previous election cycles, as well as the timing of the debates.[62][63]

In May, MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski called on Schultz to step down over the DNC's bias against the Bernie Sanders campaign.[64] The 2016 Democratic National Committee email leak revealed that Schultz was furious at the negative coverage of her actions in the media, and she emailed Chuck Todd that such coverage of her "must stop".[65] Describing the coverage as the "LAST straw", she ordered the DNC's communications director to call MSNBC president Phil Griffin to demand an apology from Brzezinski.[66][67][68]

Resignation[edit]
See also: 2016 Democratic National Committee email leak
After WikiLeaks published Democratic National Committee emails which suggested that DNC staffers had inappropriately backed Hillary Clinton in the primary campaigns while criticizing the Bernie Sanders campaign, Wasserman Schultz tendered her resignation as the head of the DNC, to become effective as of the close of the nominating convention in Philadelphia. According to reports in The Washington Post, Wasserman Schultz strongly resisted suggestions she resign, requiring a phone call from President Barack Obama to finally force her resignation.[69]

Following a speech at the convention before the Florida delegation where Wasserman Schultz was "booed off stage" the DNC announced she would not gavel open the convention.[70][71][72] She was subsequently appointed honorary chair of the Clinton campaign's "50 state program".[73]
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 10:26 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks. I thought I answered, but maybe not clicked. That was useful.

tilt...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 09:03 am
I am pretty sure that most politically active liberals know who Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is. She has had a lot of political leverage, been featured on news shows from Msnbc to CNN.

Sturgis

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 12:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I am a long time democrat on the lefty side, moderately active, have no clue who Wasserman Schultz is.

If I don't, what other dems do?

This surprised, saddened and scared me.

Until her somewhat forced stepping down as Chair, from The DNC, she had been their head for some 5 years. This included 2012, the year of President Obama's reelection.

I don't consider myself particularly involved in politics, definitely not to a level of 'moderately active' and a fair distance from being a 'lefty'. However, I know who she is. Her name has been in the news for several years, even prior to her becoming DNC Chair.

As I said, surprised, saddened and scared. If other Democrats are as equally unaware, is it any wonder that Hillary Rodham Clinton was defeated?

This is not said with intent to hurt, in is said to question where people are in gathering there information and why so many have so little in their circuitry.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Well Max like most imbeciles I voted for Trump. Any more stupid questions? Rolling Eyes
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:35 pm
@Sturgis,
Some of us have been living our lives, with their own complications. I did know she was DNC and that there was a bunch of noise. Most of my political involvement was on the local side in California. One of our neighbors that we walked with to fight a certain building at a certain place became an assembly woman and later secretary of state. I knew and supported local people in my next move to northern California.

I've no sense of the internecine ways of national dem politics, though as a kid I was somewhat raised on a bunch of that. I am easy to bore, read fast. I get that is a fault, but I'm likely not the only one. I read on, when I find info on people I turn out to like and try to support them.

Oh, wait. We did know, long time friend of a friend, a guy in the Carter administration whom we had met for lunch on a visit to DC; he had a feisty situation going on with Roger Ailes at some point. There was a New Yorker article about all that.

I'm one who flipped for being quite pro Sanders, still am somewhat, but whom I figured couldn't win, and moved to Clinton. Mad at self.

Tell me all about your self involvement - I don't mean that meanly.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:53 pm
@RABEL222,
maxdancona wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

I only rejected Bernie because he wasent in the democrat party. ... Not a 70 something over the hill politician.

How old is the person that you voted for?

RABEL222 wrote:

Well Max like most imbeciles I voted for Trump. Any more stupid questions? Rolling Eyes

I didn't ask you for whom you voted. The question was the AGE of the person you voted for.

I just hope it wasn't a 70 year old over the hill person (although at this point, I hope we are all over the "Hill").
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 06:59 pm
Wasserman Schultz

i prefer Charles

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ff/db/45/ffdb451e217872015a723b027a90592a.gif
maxdancona

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2017 07:00 pm
@djjd62,