2 English language questions

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:00 am
1. I'll be teaching Friday.
2. I'm teaching Friday.

Do these mean the same thing? Are they both acceptable?

1. I'll be teaching on Friday
2. I'm teaching on Friday.

Is it better to have a connecting word before Friday like "on," like inserted here, or possibly "this."

Thanks!

layman

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:29 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

2. I'm teaching Friday.

Do these mean the same thing? Are they both acceptable? Yeah.

Is it better to have a connecting word before Friday like "on," like inserted here, or possibly "this." Technically it's probably is, but in everyday speech people often don't bother. It adds nothing to the meaning, really. Without some stated qualification, it's implied that "Friday" refers to the next upcoming Friday.

Thanks!
fresco

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 08:43 am
@perennialloner,
Check out 'Robinson Crusoe'. Wink
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 08:43 am
@layman,
Thank you for your reply. Im a little confused as to why the present progressive is an acceptable form for future actions if it's meant to convey an action going on in the present, not Friday.
fresco

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 09:01 am
@perennialloner,
The 'dropping of prepositions' is more frequent in U.S. English as opposed to British English. A particular example is the pair..

U.S. I will write you.
U.K. I will write to you.

The first would be considered aberrent in the U.K. but is normal in the U.S.
However, with the rise of Asian immigration in the UK. statements like "I am going London" are becoming more frequent in spoken language and are likely to enter mainstream in the future. After all, language is about 'appropriateness' rather than 'correctness', and what is 'acceptable' shifts like fashion in clothes or politica.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@perennialloner,
Quote:
1. I'll be ....
2. I'm ....
Do these mean the same thing?
Yea

Quote:
Are they both acceptable?
Si, Peren

... on Friday

Quote:
Is it better to have a connecting word before Friday like "on," like inserted here, or possibly "this."
Don't need, Loner, otherwise perfectly okay

Quote:
Thanks!
Quite welcome, Nial
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:36 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

2. I'm teaching Friday.

Do these mean the same thing? Are they both acceptable?

Both can mean the same thing, all though "I'll be teaching on Friday" can mean "I very much expect to be teaching on Friday" and "I'm teaching on Friday" can mean "I am listed or scheduled to teach on Friday".

American English is much more likely to omit the preposition 'on' - I'll see you Friday, he came Tuesday, I'll be teaching Friday.

British English is much more likely to employ the preposition 'on' - I'll see you on Friday, he came on Tuesday, I'll be teaching on Friday.

dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:45 am
@centrox,
Cen is like Jes, isn't it remarkable...

Thanks to bothaya for so competently clarifying my idiocy
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:01 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
Both can mean the same thing, all though...

Sorry, a typo, that should be although
Below viewing threshold (view)
saab

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:40 pm
I thought, I was rather good in understanding English. Still I like to improve it - it never hurts to get better.So I read questions about the English language. As soon as I read some of dalehilemanĀ“s grammar and English explanations I realize how little I understand. Is it a form of upper class written American?
layman

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:00 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Im a little confused as to why the present progressive is an acceptable form for future actions if it's meant to convey an action going on in the present, not Friday.

The "am" part of"I'm teaching on Friday" is easily and readily interpreted as "will be" or "am going to be" by English speakers. They don't fret over precise rules of grammar, ya know?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 06:04 am
@saab,
Dalehileman writes a load of old bollocks. He uses his own abbreviations and acronyms to come up with a bunch of incoherent, confusing mush. The best thing to do is ignore everything he writes, he's not exactly compos mentis.
saab

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 06:12 am
@izzythepush,

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31400000/Sir-Yes-Sir-cc-the-penguin-31419711-480-360.png
I know, I know, but sometimes I just canĀ“t resist do say something.
Hey by the way it is the second time to-day that you tell me not answer someone.
Hope you do not mind me answering you
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 07:03 am
@saab,
The first one was because he's just nasty. I tell all people who speak English as a second language to ignore Dale. He seems to take a perverse pleasure in confusing people learning English. He's been asked very nicely not to by lots of people. I even promised to give a considered response to every single one of his inane posts if he stayed off the grammar threads but he won't have.

Btw, I'm not telling you what to do, just giving you advice.
saab

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
Your advice is good
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 11:21 am
@saab,
Thanks. I find Dalehileman's ramblings confusing. They remind me of some of the really low ability kids I used to teach.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 03:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Dalehileman's ramblings confusing...ignore Dale...incoherent, confusing mush...
I kep advisin' you fellas, y' don't needta read 'em, I won't be the least offended, not even a little

Quote:
of the really low ability kids I used to teach
Oh yes, dim past, I seem to remember....what did you call yourself then

Was that in Munising Mich or Chicago Ill...maybe U of I?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 04:13 pm
@dalehileman,
And I keep telling you people who are learning English don't necessarily know you're full of ****. I feel it's my duty to tell them, it would be remiss not to as they're trying to learn a foreign language which is hard enough at the best of times without some idiot talking bollocks.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2017 05:25 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I feel it's my duty to tell them, it would be remiss not to
Thanks Iz but I regularly write one inviting the esl not to read my OP's if they don't wish to be misled, but always offering expls; I'm not such a bad fellow after all
0 Replies