Biased reporting - an example for your consideration.

PDiddie

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:58 pm
NYT Online
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:12 pm
That's pretty awful, PDiddie. But not unexpected. We really need to Clean House.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:57 pm
PDiddie - Any thoughts on Rumsfeld's stance here? I guess I'm wondering whether you have any grudging respect for his willingness to let those journalists ask these kinds of questions.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:03 am
On an abuzz discussion of about one year ago, a fellow who worked for US military information services came on line. It was very interesting. He was very bright, fairly forthcoming and quite slick. When I made the observation that Panama had set a new precedent of severe restrictions to news reporting of military action, he acknowledged this was so. When I further commented that this was clearly intended to prevent information from arriving back home which might turn public opinion against the action, he didn't address that question directly, but slipped into something else. When I inquired as to whether his training had been in history and political theory, or if it had been in marketing, he disappeared.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 05:42 am
Rumsfeld doesn't even let Dubya ask any questions, t will.

During a White House planning session with his top military advisers late last month, Bush turned to Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and ask:

"How long would war with Iraq last?"

But before General Myers could respond, Rumsfeld put a hand on his arm and said, "Now, Dick, you don't want to answer that."

If Bush was a grown man and a real President he would have told his subordinate Rumsfeld to shut his goddamn mouth and look back at Myers and bark, "You were asked a question by your Commander-in-Chief!"

(But no, Bush is a figurehead/pinhead whose job it is to act like Joe Six Pack and put the simple-minded voters' minds at ease.

Which reminds me of another joke of a President...

Bobcat Goldthwait wrote the line: "Reagan is like Ronald McDonald. He's good with the kids, but he's not the guy you want to talk to if you get served a bad cheeseburger.")
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:54 am
pdiddie-
Ronald McDonald? ROTFLMBAO!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 07:08 am
By gosh, I've been avoiding this thread because of the rancor that might occur, but I just discovered it's very entertaining in addition to being informative.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:23 am
"When I inquired as to whether his training had been in history and political theory, or if it had been in marketing, he disappeared."

Blatham you are a card*! You've given me the first good laugh since the illegitimate imperialist attack on a sovereign nation some hours back. That was a wonderful question to ask that guy!

(*When I wrote that, I remembered an old chant: You're a card. When you walk, you shuffle. Which is paired in my mind with: You're a riot. You oughta go on the stage!.... One leaves in ten minutes.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 09:10 am
Tartarin

Weren't those adolescent 'witticisms' fun? Another..."You're a real card - you ought to be dealt with." or "You ought to take a long walk- off a short pier".
0 Replies