Biased reporting - an example for your consideration.

trespassers will

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:09 am
blatham wrote:
You gotta admit...if this was a Democratic government being described, 'racking up record deficits' would be thought newsworthy...the 'tax and spend, tax and spent' thing, right?

That I might agree with the sentiment does not mean it might not indicate bias.

Is it an egregious example? No. I even applauded the author for some of his word choices. I think we both realize that one can be factually accurate, but still influence the tone of the reporting (is this a good thing or a bad thing) by choosing what facts to focus on. Are the deficits really that big a deal in light of the economy we're facing? Isn't pointing to their record size in raw dollars (rather than percentage of GDP) a way to portray the deficit in the worst possible light, and another choice which may show bias?

I see that statement as a way to portray the President's budget proposal in a negative light. Now, perhaps that is my bias. The rest of the statements are largely neutral or positive. Perhaps including a negative comment merely provides a balanced view of the package and I only keyed on it because of MY bias.

See, now you've done it! You've gone and made me think! :wink: I hate it when that happens.

Thanks for the excellent and courteous discussion. I'll have to give some more thought to what I perceive as biased reporting, and whether the bias is in the reporting, or in the eye of the beholder, and I'll hope that maybe someone else out there will view the news with a bit more skeptical eye than they might otherwise have.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 09:59 am
tres

It REALLY is very much in the eye of the beholder, for each of us, and so I think we do have to be careful most particularly of generalizations about it.

The only trends that really concern me are systemic, such as the increasing monopolization of news/communication outlets by fewer and fewer corporate voices....but monopolies are always dangerous. There are a zillion web sites yelling everything under the sun, but who reads them?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:02 pm
Actually, I think more and more people are using the internet for news, though we're obviously still in the minority. We'll know when we're reaching critical mass: the FCC or the Justice Department will tighten the screws a little more on independent information sources. I don't believe the huge corporations which own mainstream information will loosen their grip any time soon... (Each time I hit a stone wall of this kind, my attention turns back to campaign finance... )
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 06:44 pm
Tartarin

I am less optimistic than many about the use of the WWW for citizens in the future. Variety of information sources is a good thing, but if those sources number in the millions, it becomes a bit like white noise. The more singular media (tv news, papers) get to so many people at the same time and will be far more effective for encouraging consensus. Thus their increasingly concentrated ownership I think a truly dangerous trend.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:20 pm
Blatham

I'm urging (constantly, and getting pretty unpopular because of it!) much greater discrimination on the part of the individual when it comes to mainstream media -- any media for that matter. Can't tell you how my life changed after I "killed" my TV. Wow! The full and delicious life returns! It's like recovering from a long, painful back injury. As for the 'net, it comes to the same thing. Discrimination! That's not to say everyone will achieve mind over mouse each time... What's certain, of course, is that we're going to hell in a handcart... pretty fast.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 07:36 pm
Tartarin

I'm not sure how old you are (I'm 54). I've argued elsewhere that we older folks can get a bit grumpy and ought to be cautious to not fall prey to that common temptation to assume the past loverly as a Cole Porter song and the future as bleak as Orwell, because this can happen with aging.

On the other hand, things can evolve in lousy and ugly directions, so we have to cautious about our caution too.

And here I thought it would get easier!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 10:27 pm
Au contraire -- I think the past is part of the present (not an advocate of the concept of linear time). And my grumpiness is limited geographically to the US (not a great believer in the idea that huge resources and great good fortune make for wisdom!)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 11:30 pm
Past is definitely part of the present...old ideas very tenacious.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 01:47 pm
So, I turn on Fox to find that the biggest news of the week is that Michael Jackson is sleeping with 12 year old boys and he might be designated an unlawful combatant and shipped to Gitmo for interrogation.

They also said we are going to have something like a 500 Gazillion dollar deficit that can only be cured by eliminating all taxes on donors to George W. Bush's re-election campaign; a plan which Neal Cavuto reported had full bipartisan support in the Congress, led by Joe Lieberman and a coalition of the willing. Some band named Oh Sama something put out two new tapes this week. And we are now on Code Orange which is (coincidentally, I'm sure) the color of a nuclear fireball and Tom Ridge wants us to lay in a big supply of duct tape for some reason.

I'm not entirely sure, but from what I gathered listening to Mort and Fred, North Korea and the whole Iraq thing are up in the air due to the greater threat from Belgium. It sounded like troops are already gathering on the Spanish and Italian borders in preparation for a little coup de gras (or was it foie gras?) in France while the felicitously named Charles Krauthammer indicated that those German pussies are begging for a little regime change next.

Oh yeah. And Bill Clinton got a blow job.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 05:27 pm
Did anyone else catch Dennis Miller on Donahue yesterday? It was a great show!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 06:56 pm
yeah i caught the MIller, pretty amazing since i dont watch Donahue, and while i am a 50/50 supporter of Miller, i always have respected the man, kinda like Bill Maher. I think both are exceptionally honest. and thats rare enough to make me listen.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2003 11:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:
yeah i caught the MIller, pretty amazing since i dont watch Donahue, and while i am a 50/50 supporter of Miller, i always have respected the man, kinda like Bill Maher. I think both are exceptionally honest. and thats rare enough to make me listen.

I must say that I've not had any reason to watch Donahue before, but I give him kudos for taking on DM. In fact, my respect for Donahue doubled at least. (What's two times zero?) :wink:

Seriously, I hope that Donahue brings on more tough, intelligent people who disagree with him. It makes for a very informative and entertaining hour, and Donahue came across as a decent guy willing to disagree with mutual respect. I can't fault that.

I think my favorite moment was when Donahue was praising this "greatest experiment in the history of the world" that we call America. Dennis responded that he wanted to see us do what was necessary to maintain this country as a place where Donahue could retain the right "to continue to miss the point". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 12:16 pm
Yeah, it's always impressive to me how good ole Phil can hold his own without resorting to being snide.

....better man than me, in that respect.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:34 am
Might not really fit in here,
but interesting.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003081386,,00.html
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003081198,00.html
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:15 am
This posting might be more suitable in the forum on the birth of liberal radio, but I simply must say that someone should give the blindingly smart and stupifyingly babealicious Janeane Garafalo her own show.

She's been on Crossfire, and Frontline, and even Jimmy Kimmel all this week.

I know it's crass of me to say, but I do believe that I would crawl through 5 miles of barbed wire and broken glass to listen to her fart over a walkie-talkie.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:25 am
Oh, PDiddie, I hope you get a chance to tell her that!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 04:20 pm
PDiddie, that's mighty militarist of you! Got the sound, now you need the smell! Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 05:14 pm
I know, diddie - she is a real bodacious sweetie pie. And she does all that cuteness without being catty, or wearing much makeup. Damn.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 05:58 pm
Is this her?

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/tomatoes/299/28fa0970.jpg
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:10 pm
I'm not getting your picture, Bill, so I'll put up this one:

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0119632/1-7.jpg
0 Replies