Biased reporting - an example for your consideration.

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:44 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
My point is that if an article in a paper whose politics one doesn't agree with shows up in a section as specific as "On Politics" and one perceives as vaguely biased causes one to rant (violent and extravagant speech), maybe some anger management is in order. That's just what I would do 'cause I'm not really interested in your personal business. I'm generally empathetic toward all who allows something so trivial to raise their blood pressure -- I've recognized it as a slow suicide for many years.

Who exactly "ranted" and offered "violent and extravagant speech" in this discussion?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 02:50 pm
Quote: "I'd like to offer the following as just one example (which I encountered just this very moment) of the kind of reporting that--to me--reeks of a liberal bias and tends to set me off on a rant."

Only ranting in private, I presume -- or is there someone there to listen to it?
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:14 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Quote: "I'd like to offer the following as just one example (which I encountered just this very moment) of the kind of reporting that--to me--reeks of a liberal bias and tends to set me off on a rant."

Only ranting in private, I presume -- or is there someone there to listen to it?

Ahhhh. I thought you were accusing me of ranting here. Got it.

And no, no one here to hear me in my cave. Fortunately the droppings tend to keep the echoing to a minimum-imum-imum-imum.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 03:50 pm
Well you could be hooked up to a blood pressure machine while on A2K for all I know. I'm just poking at you, tres, 'cause you're so easy to poke at. You're not one of the three bats from Pogo, are you? If so, are you Bemitched, Bemothered or Bemildred?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:01 pm
pogo lives
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:07 pm
LW - Your good-natured poking is welcome anytime. No offense taken.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:26 pm
I can never take politics that seriously -- all those in it are too easy to laugh at. Otherwise, why would they be fodder for three TV comedy shows each day? They are so wrapped up in their officious, stupifyingly flimsy self-importance that if there are aliens visiting us from other planets, they are probably taping our actual newscasts verbatum and using it on their comedy shows.

As to journalist, they have to take a bath in all that crap every day and come up with something interesting to say that doesn't sound trite and redundant. They seldom succeed.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:27 pm
dys, Pogo does live! Crying or Very sad Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:44 pm
um just thinking, if an alien landed an asked to see a world leader, doh what could you say?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:18 pm
Probably take them to see Martin Sheen of "West Wing"!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:20 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I'm racing out to buy Eric Alterman's What Liberal Media? today.

It's too good and too long to excerpt, so here's the link to the .pdf file (you need Acrobat):

What Liberal Media?

Interesting. I read Goldberg's "Bias", I might need to read this too for comparison.

I'd be interested to see if Alterman discusses the lack of balance in who the media "goes to" for comment on issues. As an example, consider how often they consult NOW on issues concerning women, as opposed to how often they consult more conservative (or even less liberal) women's groups. The lack of balance is striking, and hard to explain away.

Of course, I don't think it's a conspiracy, I just think that to a liberal, NOW represents a mainstream woman's point of view. Journalists don't go to NOW to slant their coverage, they go to NOW because they wrongly identify NOW as being an apolitical body that speaks for women across the board.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:42 pm
Or they say, "Our scouts brought back a bunch of your Mad magazines with Alfred E. Neuman -- you mean he's your leader?"
I'm sorry, but the more he ages, the more he looks like Alfred. Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:32 pm
Recent events have revealed troubling deficiencies in our war-time resources. It must be said: our basic cable news media lacks the resources to cover a two-front war.

Say that Bush begins bombing Iraq. The physical resources are there, even if the intellectual ones are not. But then Phil Spector enters a not guilty plea and demands a speedy trial. Now what? Does Geraldo interview Gerry Spence and Mark Furhman from the Mideast, or does he fly to L.A.? And what if Laci Peterson's husband is arrested? My God! Connie Chung is only one woman. Can Larry King put Liz, Liza and Ozzy on the same all-star panel as Woody and Condi? And what if Wacko Jacko gives another interview? Do Bill O'Reilly and Greta Van Sustern have the stamina to cover both fronts? And, God forbid, what happens if Larry Kudlow falls off the wagon but the War on Terror has cut off all cocaine imports?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 03:33 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:52 pm
Tw

Quote:
Monday, February3, 2003
Bush Releases Proposed Budget
President Bush today sent Congress a $2.23 trillion budget
that will accelerate and expand tax cuts, increase spending
on the military and slow growth in social programs, while
racking up record deficits that at this point don't even factor
in the cost of a possible war with Iraq.

It is a little late to get into this post and I have read none of the responses however, I have read these exact words in more than one paper and I find nothing biased in what was said nor how it was said. I do not nor do I believe does anyone else read a story in the paper and try to determine the opinion of the writer particularly when he is stating raw facts.
I would ask you if you will rewrite that lead in a manner you feel it should have been written. Sans bias
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:31 pm
au - A reasonable and excellent suggestion. Let me see if I can take a stab at it...
Quote:
Monday, February3, 2003
on the military and slow growth in social programs. His
proposals do not factor in the cost of a possible war with Iraq.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:55 am
Lw
Monday, February3, 2003
on the military and slow growth in social programs, while
racking up record deficits
that at this point don't even factor
in the cost of a possible war with Iraq.

Monday, February3, 2003
on the military and slow growth in social programs. His
proposals do not factor in the cost of a possible war with Iraq.

You left out while racking up record deficits. Don't you think that is part of the story. Why leave it out.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 08:19 am
From Slate...Flavors of Bias...installment one: http://slate.msn.com/id/2078200/
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 08:33 am
Great article, blatham. I'll keep an eye out for the future installments.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 08:37 am
tres

You gotta admit...if this was a Democratic government being described, 'racking up record deficits' would be thought newsworthy...the 'tax and spend, tax and spent' thing, right?

"Record Deficits Accumulate Under Bush Administration" would be a factual headline. If the second sentence read...

"Just as the Reagan administration derided 'big government' and 'tax-drunk Democrats' while profligately engaging the largest national credit card debt in history, the Bush team (probably after bowing to some covered statue of Janus each morning) goes one better, crying "Oh goodness, Mister, I would never think it...I'm a budget virgin" all the while whoring away our hard earned tax dollars and our children's future."

...that might indicate bias, even though the economic picture it describes is factual.
0 Replies