Biased reporting - an example for your consideration.

BillW

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:02 pm
They look the same - I need to look for this young lady. If I remember correctly, is this the person the Extreme Right Wing cut down as a pretty face full of fluff but no substance. Oh well, looks good to me, and I hear she can talk a good line!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:34 pm
Here's another:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/3001/jg02.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:36 pm
And one more, for good measure...

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/3001/jg09.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:54 pm
What's her best movie?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:13 pm
I especially enjoy her in understated bit parts like one of the cops in "Copland".
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 07:57 pm
"Once the war against Saddam Hussein begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if you can't do that, just shut up. Americans, and indeed our foreign allies who actively work against our military once the war is underway, will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbra Streisand and others who see the world as you do: I don't want to demonize anyone, but anyone who hurts this country in a time like this, well... let's just say you will be spotlighted. 'Talking Points' invites all points of view and believes vigorous debate strengthens the country, but once decisions have been made and lives are on the line, patriotism must be factored in."

--Bill O'Reilly, from last night's The O'Reilly Factor
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:06 pm
PDiddie
--Bill O'Reilly is the most obnoxious individual on television. Free speech to O'Reilly means you either agree with him or shut up.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 08:11 pm
au its pretty much a toss-up between O'Reilly and Sean Hannity
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:06 pm
It's really impressive how well these fellas understand the rationale behind the principle of free speech. Also, their understanding of 'patriotism' is quite winningly inclusive, isn't it?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:24 pm
I bet Asherman likes 'em. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:42 pm
I dislike all the commentators where ever they appear. News reporting in my experience is almost always 90% opinion, and 10% mis-statement of facts. If you can sort out the facts and find a couple of independant sources, you may be reasonably safe in assuming something happened.

I try to assemble as many facts as possible, then form my own judgement based on what I've learned over many years of study and experience in analysis. Generally, I try to form the conclusions into ranges of probability. Probability ranges usually calculated to insure correctness of between 90 and 95%. My box scores have been pretty good over the last 15 years -- good enough to make me comfortable in retirement.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:47 pm
PDiddie wrote:
"Once the war against Saddam Hussein begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if you can't do that, just shut up. Americans, and indeed our foreign allies who actively work against our military once the war is underway, will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbra Streisand and others who see the world as you do: I don't want to demonize anyone, but anyone who hurts this country in a time like this, well... let's just say you will be spotlighted. 'Talking Points' invites all points of view and believes vigorous debate strengthens the country, but once decisions have been made and lives are on the line, patriotism must be factored in."

--Bill O'Reilly, from last night's The O'Reilly Factor

that is truly awful
<shakes head>
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:48 pm
Listening to a call-in the other day on local (KTSA, Snood) talk radio, the set-up was about a basketball player who, at the beginning of a game who turned 45 degrees to the flag during the anthem, as a protest. No hooplah, just turned. You wouldn't believe the people (well,yes you would) who called in and suggested she be deported... at best.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:55 pm
Asherman wrote:
If you can sort out the facts and find a couple of independant sources, you may be reasonably safe in assuming something happened. I try to assemble as many facts as possible

Sounds impressive. Itshould be easy for you to help me out, then - and you others on this thread perhaps too: I'm still recruiting posters to find new sources to add to Iraqi (exile) views on war?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:59 pm
Nimh,

I haven't anything better on point than you are already finding. I make it a point to read the post on that thread as they come on. Generally, I try to look at the big picture, rather than that generally available to the "man in the street". You're doing good, and the posts have been interesting.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:10 pm
On February 24, Newsweek broke what may be the biggest story of the Iraq crisis. In a revelation that "raises questions about whether the WMD [weapons of mass destruction] stockpiles attributed to Iraq still exist," the magazine's issue dated March 3 reported that the Iraqi weapons chief who defected from the regime in 1995 told U.N. inspectors that Iraq had destroyed its entire stockpile of chemical and biological weapons and banned missiles, as Iraq claims.
http://www.fair.org/press-releases/kamel.html

War Correspondent's Advice: Stay Off the Press Bus
Chris Hedges Covered Many Armed Conflicts
By Barbara Bedway
On a day the Pentagon was announcing its guidelines for the more than 500 "embedded" reporters accompanying U.S. forces in any attack on Iraq, veteran war correspondent Chris Hedges remained worried about what, on the face of it, might seem extraordinary measures by the Pentagon to facilitate press coverage.
http://editorandpublisher.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=&urlID=5529865&fb=Y&partnerID=60
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:20 pm
tartarin, i would say we are all bozos on that bus being taken for a ride
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
I'd say you hit the nail... right on the thumb, Dys.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 11:13 am
Tartarin wrote:
On February 24, Newsweek broke what may be the biggest story of the Iraq crisis. In a revelation that "raises questions about whether the WMD [weapons of mass destruction] stockpiles attributed to Iraq still exist," the magazine's issue dated March 3 reported that the Iraqi weapons chief who defected from the regime in 1995 told U.N. inspectors that Iraq had destroyed its entire stockpile of chemical and biological weapons and banned missiles, as Iraq claims.
http://www.fair.org/press-releases/kamel.html

So the missiles Iraq claims they are going to destroy now are what, exactly? And did the dog eat their homework, or did they just forget to document what they were doing?

Seriously, how can a rational person believe that they secretly destroyed this stuff while they were hiding the fact that it existed?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:53 pm
"I just have to laugh when I hear about the bias of a 'liberal media' that is increasingly concentrated, corporate and conservative. Where are these guys on the biggest stories of our lifetime? I mean, the media were (still are?) relentless on Clinton for Whitewater land speculation losses a decade earlier, but Enron insider traders in the White House, lights out in California, and (Ken) Lay's con of his own 401(k) investors is fast fading from memory without prosecution of the leaders protected by their campaign contributors."
--Mark Lamb, Feedback from the Pews, seattlepi.nwsource.com
0 Replies