100 FACTS AND 1 OPINION

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:21 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
The Republicans are like Walmart. I don't normally shop at Walmart but I stopped in the other day to pick up a few things. Decided to pay at the self-checkout to avoid the sad-looking cashiers. A recorded voice warned me that I needed to consult with a cashier because I was purchasing an "age-restricted item." The dangerous product I needed to be protected from was Robitussin. The Walmart employee explained that the store has a responsibility to "protect underage customers from buying something that might kill them, like aerosol Cool Whip, canned air for cleaning computer keyboards, and things that might be used to make illegal drugs."

I'm over 21. And it was PLAIN Robitussin, alcohol-free and non-drowsy.

Protect me from myself, O Republicans and Walmart! Don't let me buy the new George Carlin book "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?"
Tell me what to believe and where to worship.

If in your example Walmart is like Republicans, it clearly has a lot of Democrats on board, exerting their influence. It is clear that by trying to protect you from the potential evils of cough medicine, they are implementing the pervasive mollycoddling prevelant in the Democratic party. It's amazing Wal-Mart's Democrats would allow you a self-checkout (clearly a Republican idea), because they would typically feel the organization must do everything for you, and you can't do anything for yourself.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:26 am
No. The Republicans are trying to limit freedom of choice and impose their mindset and values on others.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:27 am
and that, my friends, is a perfect example of SPIN.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:36 am
Is that what you call Tico's perverse rhetoric?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:40 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
No. The Republicans are trying to limit freedom of choice and impose their mindset and values on others.

In what way, exactly? Assuming the Republicans are in charge, they are what, afraid you will buy Robitussin when they want you to buy Vicks? Confused

No, it is a value held dearly by Democrats that a primary purpose of government is to protect its citizens from themselves. The freedom to take one's hard-earned money and invest it however that person sees fit is a value I believe held more closely by the Republican party.

Put that "spin" in your hat and smoke it. :wink:
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
I think Cinn is just ticked off he/she had to change to a different checkout line and finds it easier to blame republicans for the nuisance than the myraid of trial lawyers who would gladly sue Wal-Mart up the hind end if the medicine sold thru an automated teller was purchased by a minor who took too much of it and ended up in a hospital.

At least that is my take on it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:45 am
tico, I see the concept of paternalism as a worthwhile topic and certainly the dems are ripe for plucking re this issue, but spinning away a thought of cin by attacking dems is hardly a justified response. why not just go with "well, ever since 9/11 walmart has been more responsive to defending american against minors use of cough syrup" that would make as much sense as your answer.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:51 am
Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:

In what way, exactly? Assuming the Republicans are in charge, they are what, afraid you will buy Robitussin when they want you to buy Vicks? Confused

Walmart is afraid someone underage will buy Robitussin to make methamphetamine. Or be corrupted by buying a cd that has "explicit lyrics" so they sell censored/sanitized versions. Or buy a book by George Carlin, a book which for some reason you can buy at walmart.com but not in their brick-and-mortar stores.

This sounds more neocon/Republican than Democrat to me.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 10:55 am
Quote:
CoastalRat wrote:
I think Cinn is just ticked off he/she had to change to a different checkout line and finds it easier to blame republicans for the nuisance than the myraid of trial lawyers who would gladly sue Wal-Mart up the hind end if the medicine sold thru an automated teller was purchased by a minor who took too much of it and ended up in a hospital.

I don't get "ticked off" that easily. And plain Robitussin is not a narcotic-type drug. Walmart is overzealous in many ways.

He/she? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:03 am
dyslexia wrote:
tico, I see the concept of paternalism as a worthwhile topic and certainly the dems are ripe for plucking re this issue, but spinning away a thought of cin by attacking dems is hardly a justified response. why not just go with "well, ever since 9/11 walmart has been more responsive to defending american against minors use of cough syrup" that would make as much sense as your answer.

Whether you believe that I was attacking dems in my response to Cinn's post, or not, what I did was post my initial response to her post. I understand she is trying to claim that Republicans are trying to force their values down the throat of everyone else, and I suppose she's right to a point. But I don't see her example as representative of that concept, nearly as much as I see it an example of the, as you say, pervasive paternalism exhibited by the dems.

Cinnesthesia wrote:
Walmart is afraid someone underage will buy Robitussin to make methamphetamine. Or be corrupted by buying a cd that has "explicit lyrics" so they sell censored/sanitized versions. Or buy a book by George Carlin, a book which for some reason you can buy at walmart.com but not in their brick-and-mortar stores.

This sounds more neocon/Republican than Democrat to me.

Putting the spin away and just looking at the issue you present, are you suggesting you believe minors should be able to purchase CDs with explicit lyrics? Playboys? Cigarettes? What about beer?

To be honest, I don't know which party that sounds more like, but speaking as a parent, I'm damn glad they are trying to control the purchases of minors. When they are adults, let them buy whatever they want.

As far as regulation of cough medicine purchases by Wal-Mart, I'm not aware of teens buying lots of Robitussin in order to get "high," but I am aware that large purchases of pseudoephedrine found in over-the-counter cold and allergy pills or cough medicine is an indicator of a meth lab. Meth production is a big problem in my state, and there are frequent arrests of people making large purchases for that reason.

If Wal-Mart is doing what it can to try and protect youth, why are you so concerned? It sounds like the action of a responsible company to me.

Edit: But if it really upsets you .... why not shop elsewhere.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:20 am
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Quote:
CoastalRat wrote:

I don't get "ticked off" that easily. And plain Robitussin is not a narcotic-type drug. Walmart is overzealous in many ways.

He/she? Rolling Eyes

Next time I will refer to you as "it". I have on several occasions been referred to in uncomplimentary terms for referring to a poster as "he" when said poster is a "she", thus, unless I know for sure, I use he/she if necessary. Sorry you find even that to be somehow not to your liking.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:38 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Quote:
CoastalRat wrote:

He/she? Rolling Eyes

Next time I will refer to you as "it". I have on several occasions been referred to in uncomplimentary terms for referring to a poster as "he" when said poster is a "she", thus, unless I know for sure, I use he/she if necessary. Sorry you find even that to be somehow not to your liking.

CR, I have had the same problem. Now I'm on record that my "he" or "his" designations are gender-neutral. (Small comfort for those that feel slighted, I suppose.)

In this case, I went with my gut instinct (and the seductive eyes in the avatar) and went out on a limb with a "her" designation. I could be wrong.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Putting the spin away and just looking at the issue you present, are you suggesting you believe minors should be able to purchase CDs with explicit lyrics? Playboys? Cigarettes? What about beer?

I'm pretty sure they sell ONLY the censored versions of the cds in question. I did not suggest minors should be allowed to buy "Playboy, cigarettes, beer."

Ticomaya wrote:
As far as regulation of cough medicine purchases by Wal-Mart, I'm not aware of teens buying lots of Robitussin in order to get "high," but I am aware that large purchases of pseudoephedrine found in over-the-counter cold and allergy pills or cough medicine is an indicator of a meth lab. Meth production is a big problem in my state, and there are frequent arrests of people making large purchases for that reason.

There is no pseudoephedrine in regular Robitussin, and the checkout process would go more smoothly if only the potentially problematic OTCs brought up the red flags at the self-scan registers. [If I'm wrong, and plain Robitussin (guaifenesin only) is actually used to produce meth, someone please correct me.]

Ticomaya wrote:
If Wal-Mart is doing what it can to try and protect youth, why are you so concerned? It sounds like the action of a responsible company to me.

Edit: But if it really upsets you .... why not shop elsewhere.

There are reasonable limits to protection. Maybe I'm a Libertarian.
And the Walmart thing didn't upset me; I was just making a comparison to aspects of the neocon system. And like I said, I almost never shop at Walmart.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 12:19 pm
Quote:
CoastalRat wrote:

I was just rolling my eyes via emoticon because I was amused.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 12:26 pm
Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:

CR, I have had the same problem. Now I'm on record that my "he" or "his" designations are gender-neutral. (Small comfort for those that feel slighted, I suppose.)

In this case, I went with my gut instinct (and the seductive eyes in the avatar) and went out on a limb with a "her" designation. I could be wrong.

Anyone who's seen my posts in So......what are you wearing...? would know I'm a woman. Or a crossdresser.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 03:35 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Quote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Anyone who's seen my posts in So......what are you wearing...? would know I'm a woman. Or a crossdresser.

lol. Unfortunately, in this day and age the description you offered is not a reliable indicator of your gender ... as you acknowledge. Very Happy

Quote:
Me: Knee-length turquoise robe, black bra, gray tank top, blue boxers with moons and stars, a white sock on my right foot and on my left ankle alternately an ice pack and an Ace wrap. On my hands: my wedding rings and a little too much idle time.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:41 pm
Most crossdressers can only dream about having a body like this.

This is straying a bit from politics...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
Cinnesthesia wrote:
Most crossdressers can only dream about having a body like this.

This is straying a bit from politics...

Pictures! I demand photographic evidence! Twisted Evil

What? Are we off-topic?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
Ticomaya wrote:
What? Are we off-topic?

Maybe.

- - - - - - -

H.L. Mencken foretelling the election of George W. Bush as president:

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental -- men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack, or count himself lost. His one aim is to disarm suspicion, to arouse confidence in his orthodoxy, to avoid challenge. If he is a man of convictions, of enthusiasm, or self-respect, it is cruelly hardÂ…

The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even a mob with him by the force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second or third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically the most devious and mediocre -- the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.
The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

--H.L. Mencken, The Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

0 Replies