Are tacos sandwhiches?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:15 pm
I think we all can agree that many things can be a Sammishes thus the generic reference requires a deepening of inquiry.

- It must be eatable.
- It must have bread.
- It must have something within the slice of bread.
- There are thousands of possible sammishes combinations to the point one can argue anything with a slice of bread n eatable stuff in it qualifies.
- It also can be argued what better defines a sammishe in ppl's minds is the shape rather than just what is in it.
That's how ppl can tell.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:15 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Sammiches exist because Setanta does - I remember him as coining the word, or maybe I just thought so and it was usual for him.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I saw "Sammishes" way before coming to A2K, I think they "emerged" naturally in the new age fast lingo.

PS - Setanta is just a figment of your imagination... Wink
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:33 pm
Back to the shape talk I wonder if a pizza in the shape of a sammishe would confuse people enough to the point of disconnecting from the idea they actually eating a pizza? I sure can relate if we are talking of a less than conventional classic pizza. Say, Sea food pizza.

PS - Which opens the question is Sammishe more shape than substance ?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Been to Rome? lots of places sans round pizza. Not places I've explored, not sure if I tried it or not. Maybe once.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Not just talking round vs not round pizza Osso, just literally imagine a full-fledged pizza literally in the shape of a sammishe. How many would recognize its pizza ? I really wonder.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:02 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Take the american biscuit. We can all agree it's bread.

nope

we don't all agree that a biscuit is bread
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:06 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
What about an "open faced sandwich"

not really a sandwich

in countries where those are served traditionally they are not considered /called sandwiches
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:08 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Anyway a pizza in a plate would make more sense square and cut in smaller chunks.

why would you put food baked on a plate ... on a plate?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
nope

not sandwiches
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:17 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I think I had a thread on that, but I'll have to find it. Sfuiuchiuni or some name like it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:34 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I can't just zap the thread, but I will find it. Probably via
main the recipe, very good. It take it as from Marcella Hazan.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:
Take the american biscuit. We can all agree it's bread.

nope

we don't all agree that a biscuit is bread

An American biscuit is a bread product.

If you were ordering food in a restaurant and the waitress asked if you want a biscuit, you wouldn't say "no, I want bread"

You might say "no I want toast" because you're indicating you'd like a different type of bread.

I'd be interested in your reasoning that tortillas and biscuits aren't bread. Just saying "nope they aren't" doesn't go anywhere. You can go into most fast food restaurants, or grocery store and buy already made, or in a store frozen biscuit sandwiches which clearly say "biscuit sandwich" on it.

An English muffin is a piece of bread too.

Go to Tom Hortons website and look at their breakfast menu. They sell breakfast sandwiches on a choice of English muffin, homestyle biscuit bagel or croissant. All are types of bread, as are tortillas, naan and pizza dough.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:00 pm
If a person was slightly hungry and took 1 piece of bread, put some meat on it, folded it over and ate it, you you not say he ate a sandwich, or half a sandwich?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:15 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Go to Tom Hortons website and look at their breakfast menu. They sell breakfast sandwiches on a choice of English muffin, homestyle biscuit bagel or croissant. All are types of bread, as are tortillas, naan and pizza dough.
There, I knew if you kept up youd come up with a great argument to support your sammich assertions
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:20 pm
@farmerman,
And TH is Canadian, so it's not like it's some terminology thing.

A biscuit isn't bread? What is it, chopped liver?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:27 pm
@farmerman,
The word "sandwich" in the title of the food called a "breakfast sandwich" means nothing.

Chicken Fingers aren't Fingers.
Buffaloes don't actually have Wings.
Hot Dogs aren't actually Dogs.
Breakfast Sandwiches aren't Sandwiches.
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:31 pm
Aha! The scientific faction, aka my step daughter's girlfriend, is weighing in via text.

She states "a taco is a tasty parabola "

What about club sandwiches, triple deckers, and Big Macs? They have 3 pieces of bread. That's over the allowed limit.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The word "sandwich" in the title of the food called a "breakfast sandwich" means nothing.

False. In your examples the words in question are are about taking animal parts and humorously calling them something else.

There is no animal called a sandwich, where calling the meal that would be a clever name. It's called a breakfast sandwich because it's a sandwich eaten primarily at breakfast.

So are you also saying things like biscuits, English muffins, bagels and croissants aren't bread?

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:40 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Wrong. Merely inspect the modifier and the modified, In each of your examples, the modified word is not a foodstuff . Actually it is only in combination that both terms have meaning as a food. In chai's TH example "breakfast " merely modifies "Sammich" both words can stand alone and the modified word is already a style of presentation of a food.