How many countries have you visited?

cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@Miller,
I have given to charity, and volunteered with two charities on their board. So what? Even volunteered and served on the Santa Clara County 2003-2004 Civil Grand Jury. Was also foreman on the second longest criminal trial in the county up to that year. The trial lasted three months.
Foofie

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:02 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

...Buy the way, you're never wrong. Why would you be wrong now?

My error.
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Xenophobes are very good at legitimising their fear of other cultures. It's so much better to get out there like you've done.

And, who is going to pay for the therapy needed when one gets nightmares about foreigners?
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:07 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

I don't do much international travel.

I like to fund several charities with my money, instead.

I notice that nothing has been said about traveling less and giving MORE to charity.

That might go along with my premise that "travelling" was once the domain of the wealthy. So, now that travel is a "business," people of moderate means can mimic the wealthy of yesteryear. It is a form of "slumming" that doesn't get ridiculed, in my opinion. No one can convince me that travelling to foreign destinations does not evoke a degree of Schadenfreude, especially when one, gets home to the good ole U.S.A., in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I have given to charity, and volunteered with two charities on their board. So what? Even volunteered and served on the Santa Clara County 2003-2004 Civil Grand Jury. Was also foreman on the second longest criminal trial in the county up to that year. The trial lasted three months.

So, there are two ci's. The one who respects the foreigners with lesser resources, and the one who brags to other Americans. Quite interesting.
cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 01:34 pm
@Foofie,
Just stating facts. How anyone wishes to perceive it is not my problem.
Oh, and BTW, I worked in management for over 80% of my working career. That's a fact.
Foofie

Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Just stating facts. How anyone wishes to perceive it is not my problem.
Oh, and BTW, I worked in management for over 80% of my working career. That's a fact.

Indubitably!
0 Replies

maporsche

Wed 8 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Century Club counts airport transfers. I do too.
http://maphappy.org/2016/01/the-politics-of-country-counting/

That seems like a purely statistical way of "counting a visit".

Personally, I would have to do something or see something of substance or value in that country. I've probably been in 45 of the 50 states, but for example, I don't count Nebraska because the only thing I've ever done there is drive across it and stop at gas stations. I mean, I've probably spent dozens of hours in that state driving through it, but I won't count it until I "do something" there.

Not surprisingly then, I've would never count stop overs in other countries. For example, I don't count my Tokyo airport stop as me having visited Japan on my way to the Philippines. I don't even count some of my cruise stops as visits if all I did was see one town and have lunch and walk around.
maporsche

Wed 8 Mar, 2017 11:29 am
@maporsche,
I've actually started working on a map to keep track of some of the things I've seen/done. I plan on writing 1-pagers or attaching photos to help my failing memory.

It's free if you want to try it. www.zeemaps.com

cicerone imposter

Wed 8 Mar, 2017 12:13 pm
@maporsche,
Thanks. I just added my blog at zeemaps. Let me know what you think.
cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 06:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Can't seem to do anything with zeemaps.
I just checked my log on how many countries I have visited, and it's now 81.
I think the most remote place that I have visited that not many have is Esperanza Base at Antarctica. Also visited the grave of Ernest Shackleton at South Georgia Island at Grytviken.
Talking about visiting graves, here's my list:
Tchaikovsky, George Patton, John F Kennedy, Princess Di, Ernest Shackleton, all those at Westminster Abbey, King Tut and other Phoeroes, Ho Chi Min, Ming Tombs, all the royals and shoguns at Mt Koya in Japan, the memorial in Berlin of the Holocaust, Auschwitz-Birkenau, and Grant's tomb.
saab

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 12:25 am
@cicerone imposter,
The Memorial in Berlin of the Holocaust and
The Memorial and Museum, Auschwitz-Birkenau are not graves.
In Berlin it is a Memorial
Auschwitz was a German Nazi concentration camp which existed in the years 1940–1945. There is now a Memorial and Museum which you can visit.
It is good that you have visited both places - it is something we should have done if given a chance.
But please do not add these to the list of graves you have seen. Show a bit more respect than "been there - seen it"
saab

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 01:22 am
@cicerone imposter,
South Georgia Island at Grytviken (means Pot Bay).
Grytviken sounded so Swedish to me so I had to look it up.
It is Swedish.
It was so named in 1902 by the Swedish surveyor Johan Gunnar Andersson who found old English try pots used to render seal oil at the site.
The settlement at Grytviken was established on 16 November 1904 by the Norwegian sea captain Carl Anton Larsen, was a naturalised Briton born in Sandefjord, Norway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 10:43 am
@saab,
So touchy.
0 Replies

saab

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:11 am

If you think I am tochy, just because I think someone should show some respect for millions killed in concentration camps, then I can only say I am dam proud of being tochy.
cicerone imposter

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:21 am
@saab,
Your conclusions are ridiculous and uncalled for.
saab

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
May I ask why you said I am tochy?
It is not clear, so maybe my conclusions were wrong and you refered to what I said about Grytviken.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 11:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
Aren't you a self admitted consumerist of traveling ?
Perhaps she hit a nerve there.
She has a point some places you visit deserve pause and reflection.
Not implying you are intentionally dismissive of those. But it can happen to the best.
Now stop vote her down, its silly!
cicerone imposter

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 12:09 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Everything you said I agree with, but I don't have the patience of challenging other people's opinion about who I am. I don't want to be in a position where I need to defend myself.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:05 am
You could even get sent to jail for having extra marital sex.
0 Replies