How many countries have you visited?

ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:55 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If I find a route to the cookbooks, I'll post it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 02:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I was just being a bit daft. Pointless is a hugely popular quiz show over here. It's like the opposite of Family Fortunes. 100 people are asked a series of questions and the contestants have to get the correct answer the fewest people got. Countries are a category and the Richard Osman clip has been said over again.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own separate football teams.
izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 03:37 pm
@izzythepush,
pointless took over the slot from The Weakest Link. Unlike Anne Robinson, Alexander Armstrong is really nice, but sometimes it's hard. watch his reaction to this answer.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 03:51 pm
@izzythepush,
adds, i'd not caught on.

It is possible I like some of it.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 05:41 pm
@Foofie,
I think people who like to tour the world are more likely to travel within the country too but I could be wrong. Who knows.

@cicerone ive been to lebanon, syria, japan, canada, and usa. Favorite is usa by far.
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:13 pm
@perennialloner,
Can you explain why the US is one of your favorite?
Never been to Syria.
Roberta

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:38 pm
I've been to Italy, France, England, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Bahamas, and Mexico.

I met a friend at the airport in Madrid. From there we went to Italy. I don't count Spain.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 12:47 am
From England, (not a country,) I've been to Scotland, (not a country,) Wales,(not a country,) France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Italy, Monaco, (yes it is a country,) Holland, Czech Republic, USA, Mexico, Senegal, South Africa, St Helena, (not a country,) Ascension Island, (not a country,) Tenerife, (not a country,) and Crete, (not a country.)
0 Replies

saab

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 01:08 am
I usually do not watch Quiz Shows but saw one with this question-
"In which country is London the capital?"
Long pause then it came. Australia!

I have worked in a travel agency and had to figure out a lot of trips, train connections, hotels, places to see, etc. Is that not almost as good as flying over a country?

izzythepush

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 05:33 am
@saab,
That's nothing. The person answering this question, "Name a country with two consonants at the end of its name," is studying A level Geography.

0 Replies

perennialloner

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 11:19 am
@cicerone imposter,
As someone who feels like an outsider, I want to know the United States better and so prefer traveling in-country rather than out of. A lot of it is unexplored to me, but there's no reason not to explore it. It is diverse, vast, and beautiful, especially the West. Touring the US is like touring the whole of Europe I imagine. The regional differences are incredibly distinct and I think it's interesting to observe geographic and cultural variance from East to West Coast.

I'd encourage you to visit Syria if it weren't so messed up right now. I've only been to the parts like Lebanon, on the Coast, so little to no desert, either Shia or Christian communities. They're not much different from Lebanon if you've been to its interior, the Mountains. Very beautiful. But I can't speak about the country too much. I visited when I was very young, a few years before the civil war, and don't remember much besides driving and eating.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 11:35 am
@perennialloner,
California is a favorite destination for many visitors from abroad. Many who visit the US always visit San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. The city itself has many things to offer in terms of culture and the Golden Gate Park.
The museums there are also popular. We have Chinatown and Japantown, and even Little Italy, so the ambiance attracts many from around the world.
Fisherman's Wharf is also popular with Pier 39 with its restaurants and shops.
When young, one of my favorite places was to visit the Cliff House.
North of San Francisco is Muir Woods with redwood trees that are thousands of years old. In Southern California, there is Hollywood and San Diego.
The National Parks in this country is also amazing. Visitors to the US should also consider Washington DC with its many museums, and New York City for its vibrancy, theater district, and Statue of Liberty.
edgarblythe

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 01:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, I love San Francisco. I would love to visit again, to see how it differs from my last times there.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 02:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
San Francisco has built up many skyscrapers, but some are sinking. They didn't do their due diligence by their engineers.
It's still an attractive city to visit. We go there once or twice a year to spend time at Fisherman's wharf and Pier 39. The cable cars are pretty popular with visitors.
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:20 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Countries:
Sweden
Denmark
France
England
Canada

Favorite: USA

American States visited:
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Maine
Vermont
Florida
Texas
Michigan
Indiana
Minnesota
Wisconsin
California
New York
Nevada
Colorado
Nebraska

Favorite City to visit: New York City
Favorite City to live in: Boston
City that will always be in my heart, night & day: Chicago

One State, I forgot was Maryland, while I was at the NIH in Bethesda. Maryland has the nicest, warmest , most welcoming people I've ever met, any where in world.
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 03:34 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

This thread is giving me jet lag. Also culture shock.

Am I wrong, but many of those who travel to foreign destinations, tend not to tour the U.S.? Meaning, the cultural nuances; i.e. rodeos in the southwest; Graceland, in the South; Disneyworld in Florida, etc., etc.?

I suspect more Democrats do foreign travel, due to their "citizen of the world" orientation, while Republicans are content to tour the U.S.. Am I wrong?

Nothing beats a rodeo in Texas, or a giant, well done Texas steak. also, are there any men, anywhere as sexy as the Rangers?
Buy the way, you're never wrong. Why would you be wrong now?
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 04:01 pm
@Miller,
I'm not sure how the travel agencies would know the political leanings of the traveler. I have never been asked my political affiliation, and I've done my share of traveling.
izzythepush

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 06:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Xenophobes are very good at legitimising their fear of other cultures. It's so much better to get out there like you've done.
cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 06:23 pm
@saab,
I've been to Cuba several times with my travel buddy Alexander Ogilvie (Canadian now living in Mexico. He and I have traveled all over Europe, South America and Asia. We're planning on going to Cuba in Oct or Nov.), and actually have friends there - especially in Havana. Even the lady who makes cigars at the Nacional Hotel (VIPs such as Winston Churchill, Frank Sinatra, Gary Cooper, Eva Gardner et al stayed there in the 50s.) knows us, and gives us a freeby when she sees us.
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 10:48 am
I don't do much international travel.

I like to fund several charities with my money, instead.

I notice that nothing has been said about traveling less and giving MORE to charity.