How many countries have you visited?

Pitter

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 09:00 am
A friend of mine found a stamp for Dubai in his Colombian girlfriend's passport. Not good.
Pitter

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 09:05 am
@Pitter,
My short list includes:

Canada
Mexico
Jamaica
Dominican Republic
Costa Rica
Panamá
Colombia (now resident)
Ecuador
Peru

Never crossed Atlantic or Pacific.
izzythepush

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 09:07 am
@Pitter,
How did you manage to visit Canada and Mexico without visiting the US?
ossobucotemp

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 09:36 am
@izzythepush,
If I remember, Pitter is american.
izzythepush

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 09:59 am
@ossobucotemp,
But he's never been there.
ossobucotemp

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 11:51 am
@izzythepush,
Are you positive of that? I remember him posting once from here quite a while ago. I suppose I could have mixed that up.
izzythepush

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 12:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You can be bloody infuriating at times, he's not mentioned America in his list that's all. I was just being a bit light hearted.

I'm not positive about anything.
ossobucotemp

Sun 11 Jun, 2017 03:14 pm
@izzythepush,
That was hard to tell.
Pitter

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 08:19 am
@ossobucotemp,
Ha ha I was listing the countries I "visited".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:15 am
@Pitter,
Crossed Atlantic by ship, and Pacific by airplane. The longest trip was from Los Angeles to Australia.
https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-sydney_-australia-and-los-angeles-california_-usa.htm
saab

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
On those two trips you did not visit any countries.
georgeob1

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 01:51 pm
I've travelled to Iceland, Norway, Sweden Denmark, Russia, the Netherlands & Belgium, Ireland & the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Portugal, Spain, Monaco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, Nigeria, Congo, Angola, South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya, Oman , India, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Vietnam, China, Tibet, Taiwan, The Marianas Islands , Canada (East & West), Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and most of the Islands in the Caribbean, from the Bahamas to Jamaica. I found interesting things, and amiable people everywhere - though the Icelanders were occasionally a bit off putting.
ossobucotemp

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 02:42 pm
@georgeob1,
Wow (I'm not kidding, am interested, tell more).

I haven't traveled all that much, but enjoyed those travels I got to do with strong good memories. I've been in lots of places in the US, family traversing the country several times, but little of the south. As mentioned earlier, I was in Mexico a lot, and Guatemala a little, Canada a dab as a child, and have been interested in Italy since fourth grade when Sr. Mary Rita showed us photos - finally got there a few times as an adult. Rio was on my hoped list, via Sr. M. Rita, but that won't be happening..

I know Rio has a lot of troubles, but that isn't why. I do Rio now by reading.
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 03:22 pm
@saab,
I have been to Europe often. The countries I have visited includes the following:
Russia, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Denmark, England, Ireland, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, France, Monaco, Italy, Serbia, Albania, Greece, Malta, Crete, Turkey, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Tunisia, Spain, Portugal, Canary Islands, Morocco (was stationed in Morocco near Marrakesh for one year with the USAF). Several countries in the south of Africa including Namibia, Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa on wild game safaris. The safaris were all photographic.
The amazing thing about wild safaris in Africa today is that the tented camps are luxury camps with tiled bathrooms and hot water. Ernest Hemingway never had it so good.
Also visited Karen Blixen's home, farm and museum. http://www.karenblixencamp.com/the-camp/karen-blixen/
georgeob1

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Well perhaps the most interesting trip was in a very small Navy single seat jet. six of us flew (with a USAF tanker) from An airfield in Northern Florida to Piarco airfield in Trinidad; then on to Recife Brazil ( the easternmost point);' and then to Ascension Island in the Mid Atlantic; Brazzaville in the Congo Republic; Walvis Bay in what is now Namibia; and finally to Cape Town, South Africa where we operated for a few months. I was then a very young, novice aviator and the trip filled me with new experiences (among them keeping close track of my fuel consumption).

Ascension is a fascinating little island in the Mid Atlantic, midway between South America and Africa - it's companion island is St Helena, where Napoleon spent his last days. It is capped by a 4,500 ft. mountain , and the terrain varies from semi arid at the base to damp and grassy above 2,000 ft. to a misty rain forest near the top. I found it all fascinating.

I've flown and sailed over every ocean but the Antarctic ( never south of the "roaring 40s" latitude); crossed the Bering Sea, well north of the Aleutians ( near the Pribilof islands) in February, and flown over Greenland and the Arctic islands including Jan Mayen and Svalbard.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:24 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I know Rio has a lot of troubles, but that isn't why. I do Rio now by reading.

I've travelled a lot in Brazil starting a long time ago. I always found Rio a bit too much, but until about 2000 it was OK and one could enjoy the place. Frankly now it's a bit dangerous. My preference was Sao Paulo and the southern State of Rio Grande do Sul, particularly Puerto Allegre (where, until WWII, German was spoken widely).

Now one must be careful, even in Sao Paulo. Brazil was once a very placid place, but that is long gone now. The people are still ebullient and very friendly, but the big cities have become a bit dangerous.
cicerone imposter

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:34 pm
@saab,
As for Asia and SE Asia, I've visited the following:
China, Japan, Bhutan, Cambodia, India (3xs from New Delhi to Chennai to Goa to Mumbai), Indonesia, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macau, Malaysia (I have friends in Malaysia), Nepal, Singapore (I have friends in Singapore), Tajikistan, Thailand, Tibet, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Vietnam (Halong Bay, Hanoi to Saigon).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 12 Jun, 2017 04:44 pm
@georgeob1,
I have sort of paid attention, remember there was some place with German spoken, different name than you said, I forget but I presume in a region.

I'm a long way away from my fourth grade nun, but still thank her. Her clues about the world were all about religion, but still, eye opening.
0 Replies

saab

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 12:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
I have not been to 81 countries and have no desire to travel that much.
I have also been to Africa and I have been to Karen Blixen´s farm. I have read all her books, I know people who knew her and also Bror Blixen. I have read his books too. I certainly like him more than her. I read Clara Selborn´s book - she was Karen´s secretary. Add Beryl Markham to the authors.
I have been to USA several times - often with a certain idea in our heads.
Once was MidWest and following the trails of Wilhelm Moberg´s books about the Swedish emmigrants. Standing on the cementry, going to church where they went to church. Looking out over the fields and farms in Minnesota where once Swedes settled and worked hard to accomplish a better life for themselves and their children. So again I got more books this time about emmigrants and emmigration.
I have made a lot of fun trips, but the best ones have been the ones which I can connect with special feelings and experiences. I am not much of been there done it, check off the list
Why bother even to tell you.........
0 Replies

saab

Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:37 am
Within a week, we made a trip, which I think very few if any of you have made.
I planned it and it was done just in the order the names are written down.

Berlin, Holstein, Altona, Kiel, St. Anna, Franken, Brussels, Namur, Luxemburg, Scandinavia, Denmark, Norway, Holland, Stockholm, Sabylund

Ha - all in Wisconsin!!!