personalize licsence plates

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:01 am
yea have a cousin who is the day after... she gets ripped all the time
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:45 am
Really? She needs to just get a different attitude, Seed. My birthday is within a week of Christmas, but I love it. As far as I'm concerned the whole darn season is because of me -- Me -- ME!!! All the lovely lights and the singing and the parties and the presents -- I bask in them. What's not to love? Frankly, it is also quite possible to 'guilt' anyone who gives one present and your friend needs to learn how to manipulate people better. Ask her if she needs some advice on this.

JoeFX -- I'd wondered if the Days of the Dead were more of a northern thing. I like the idea myself -- first heard about it through the writings of Terry Tempest Williams. Happy Birthday (soon) to your pa.

Jane -- Anytime. Thanks again. I am still procratinating on truly learning to use the new computer. So easy just to stumble along.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:49 am
eh i havnt talked to her in ages... i think she has grown out of it. Or at least I would hope she would. After all that time of year isnt about give ya know. either way... she should get over it...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:03 pm
Seed wrote:
eh i havnt talked to her in ages... i think she has grown out of it. Or at least I would hope she would. After all that time of year isnt about give ya know. either way... she should get over it...

Yeah, I know.... it's about mE, ME, me!!!!!

*I hope you recognize I'm kidding. Wink
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:05 pm
oh your aint kidding.. i can hear it in your voice... by the way who moved my thread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:08 pm
I'm guessing that someone who hasn't read the thread moved it. You can go to the bottom of the page - go to 'contact us' - and pose your question through the help desk.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:21 pm
eh it doesnt really matter to me... just wondering... now that i have your attention Beth.. do you still have my avatar in a bigger form?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:01 pm
Thanks Piffka, what I most enjoy about el Día de Muertos are the Calaveras or Calaveritas, they are verses that make a comic caricature of a person and it always involves the death taking people to the graveyard, it's an honor to be mentioned in one, even if it ends up making fun of you.

ie.

La flaca llorando llegó
Pues Carlos cantando estaba
Y tanto era lo que desafinaba
Que al panteón se lo llevó
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:03 pm
Indeed I do, seed. It's in my puter at home. I'll get it for you this evening.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:10 pm
Oh please, pretty please, will you translate that for me? I dearly love to write poetry, even if it's doggerel and I think with a little more guidance I can get busy on some calaveritas of my own. What fun!

This is my problem... Free Translation's always faulty interpretation for your piece is:

The thin one crying Carlos arrived
Therefore cantanando was
AND so much was what put out of tune
That al panteó was carried it

<major frustration>
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 02:02 pm
When I worked at the car dealership, a coworker sold a car to the person that (I think) invented the laser eye surgery machine. His plate read "EYE ONE." He traded in a Ferrari.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
Sure, that's a short one I improvised and a literal translation would go something like this:

The thin one arrived crying
For Carlos was singing
And he was so out of tune
That she took him to the graveyard

La flaca (thin, slim one), la muerte (death), la calaca (not sure this one hsa a translation), la huesuda (bony one), etc. are all used to portray the same character.

But since a major focus is put on rhyme, let me see what I can do:

La Flaca has just waken up from her dreams
Her eyes are on Carlos who sings karaoke
He sings just like he screams when he's facing his fears
So La Muerte had to bury him covering her ears

[edit] thanks to this post I now will write a short calavera for my family
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:58 pm
Oh, I think I get it. The slim one is another way to say a skeleton or a dead one. So she wakes up, as we expect the dead to do at this time of year, but we're blaming it on Carlos because he has such a bad singing voice. Thanks!

How's this one? Is it too gross?

The skeleton chick hears a fast car drive by.
It's Carlos again and he's speeding.
She's had enough and she stops him this time.
He's a goner, all broken and bleeding.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 12:00 am
Yay! This thread has made me start thinking about calaveras a lot. They're pretty cool. They sound kind of weird on English though, mostly the words to describe death maybe I need to get used to it.

It's a good one, Piffka. Maybe a little grosser than most but I like it. Remeber that's it's like a caricature (make fun of one's characteristics) so that one would work best if you had a friend or relative named Carlos who loves to speed on his car.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 09:55 am
I am listening to you and wonder if you mean that the words to describe death should be more subtle?

Yeah, I knew it was gross and I knew that it would need to be about a real person's characteristics. I had just seen the thread on "How fast have you driven a car?" -- and there was Slappy with the very cool EYE ONE (I WON) license plate, so that idea was in my head.

There are not so many good words to rhyme with speeding, now, I think, I could have said something about the worms that will be happily feeding --- hmmmm, also gross.

Thank you for the fun idea. I like el Día de Muertos because it seems so natural to me. Death is like the gorilla in the living room -- everyone is afraid to talk about it. For me, I think making fun of death and acknowledging it is the first step to overcoming the fear.

Back to License Plates...
FRW 925 was a license plate we had when our kids were small. They talked it over and decided that it meant "For R.W." R.W. are the initials and one of the nicknames of our son and both he and his sister were SURE that the car would be his when he grew up.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:37 am
They are mostly more subtle, at least the ones that I've heard. Maybe it's because I've read them at school or at libraries and such. Anyways, since I've never seen one in English before, I say you do as you please as you already know the basics. Smile

That's exactly the idea of making fun of death we have over here! There's a big death culture over here, as you can figure it out from el Día de Muertos.

I'm not only happy you like Calaveras, I'm also happy I like 'em.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
So we are both happy, then. Very Happy Good luck with your writings -- you only have a week!
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
saw one the other day... 2smrt4u
0 Replies

DERAIL MAN

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:01 am
There was one that said:
IH8DABS

(I HATE DA BEE'S)

Hard to understand.. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
My buddy in Wisconsin put LIL4RE (little Ferrari) on his 91 MR2 Turbo.

http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/lrg/91812091990519LRG.jpg

Many people thought is said (little FAVRE) and he never argued. :cool:
0 Replies