Which is smaller, a skosh or a smidgeon?

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 05:34 pm
http://www.greenscreen.org/newsletter/articles/images/bagel.jpg

schmear... Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:56 pm
yum...

(Aside to the important work we are doing here: the bagel places are hurting because of the Atkins diet. Slender waifs want their bagels alright but they want scooped out. That's right. "Can I get a sesame cut in half and scoop one half and filled with the low-fat veggie tuna salad. Oh, and a Diet Coke." They do not eat the other half.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
I have about given up. I am used to IMJoy Bagels on Temple in LA, an old line bagel maker.

The world is filled with Noah's Bagels now. Here in the upper hinterland we have two conceivable places to get a bagel; one was Winco grocers, and their bagels have ballooned in the last year into very breadlike giganzas. Cross that off.

Now I have Los Bagels, which I rejected at first, but am reconsidering. I think the proprietor is a Jewish man married to a Mexican woman, or something like that. Their bagels do not grow and fluff out. Must be eaten fresh or they turn to hockey pucks. All to the good. I don't go to the Los Bagels cafe because they have no toaster (or didn't), but I've started to purchase their bagels in my co-op.

Not that y'all care, but I thought I'd whine a bit.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
I heard a riddle:

On what day does no-one ever celebrate their first birthday*?

*the first anniversary of the day of their birth

The clue is in Noddy's last post.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:01 pm
SMOOT: a unit of length

This is the unit used by MIT students to measure the Harvard Bridge (which connects Boston across the Charles River to MIT, not Harvard -- but that's another story).

In 1958, Oliver R. Smoot (MIT, class of 1962) was used by his fraternity brothers to measure the length of the bridge. A smoot is thus five feet and seven inches (Oliver's height). The bridge's length was measured to be "364.4 smoots and one ear" and marks were painted on the bridge every ten smoots. The marks are repainted each year by the incoming pledge class of Lambda Chi Alpha.
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/02/07/atwood10702b.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
Quote:
(Aside to the important work we are doing here: the bagel places are hurting because of the Atkins diet. Slender waifs want their bagels alright but they want scooped out. That's right. "Can I get a sesame cut in half and scoop one half and filled with the low-fat veggie tuna salad. Oh, and a Diet Coke." They do not eat the other half.)
(bagel skins? Evil or Very Mad FEH!)

george, i had a high school chemistry textbook called Smoot (possibly the last name of the author...)

edit
that was probably Robert C. -- not the same Smoot...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 05:29 pm
Hmm, that reminds me of snootfull, or, perhaps, snoot full.

Snootfulls would vary...
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
ossobuco wrote:
...Snootfulls would vary...

You lookin' at ME?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:50 am
Very Happy Nah...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
There's also a skoshe (not a skosh, I don't think). It rhymes with gauche. It's a width measurement, used for benches, e. g. "Couldja move down just a skoshe?"

It's a fractional measurement, less than a standard butt width (which I suppose is also a measurement) and less than the remainder of the bench's own width. And, its absence denotes that a person wants to sit on the bench with the bench's current occupant(s). Skoshe is used only when something skinnier than a standard butt width, such as a small child's butt width or a package is to be added to the occupation of the bench. Hence, skoshe is not used when the new occupant is at least a standard butt width in width. Rather, the simpler, "Couldja move down please?" is used instead (alternative: "Can I sit there?" alternative #2: "Is this seat taken?").
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:07 am
following. Amazing! Soupcon is the only teensybit that I can think of. Trying to remember what Mama called alittleofthisandalittleof that.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:28 am
ALARM: measure of chili potency
You don't want to be near me after a bowl of five-alarm chili.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
here...I'm gonna light this match George...put your thumb in your mouth and blooooooooooowwww!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:51 am
FIRE IN THE HOLE!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
A skosh more on skosh. (Pronounced sko-shh)

In the Tobacco Valley of Connecticut a skosh is a little bit of something:
sugar, flour, strong drink or room on a bench. I had always believed that the word was brought back from Japan during the days of the Clipper Ships and the Yankee traders, but my father told me I was all wet, that he hadn't heard the word until after the GIs returned from the WWII Pacific.

The word in Japanese is sukoshi.
Skoshe must be a local spelling for the Bahston airya.
(It may rhyme with gauche, but it's spelled like scoshi.)

Anyone else on this important issue?

Oh, and I just had a horrible thought, are Bostonians mispronouncing 'gauche' as 'go she'.???

Joe Nation
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
Confused

Mad i don't say "gauche", and i don't eat "quiche" (howevvuh u pronounce it)... Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
The answer to the riddle is February 29th, because there isn't one one year later to celebrate on, or for the next two years thereafter. I know that, not because it's my birthday, it's not, but because I joined the USAF on February 29th 1967.

The USAD dutifully sent me discharge papers for February 29th 1971 and then, a few weeks later, some one must have noticed the odd date and decided it was wrong, sent me another discharge dated for the 28th. All was once again well with the world.

Joe
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:36 pm
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:07 pm
Try.

The literal meaning of 'A stitch in time saves nine' is that fixing a broken seam in one's clothing might require one stitch if done early instead of nine stitches in the future.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:25 pm
Well, Joe, the answer I was looking for is February 30! There is one, but only every 400 years -- nobody has yet lived that long.
0 Replies