Which is smaller, a skosh or a smidgeon?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:50 am
measure of time

Elvis impersonator karaoke night...every minute feels like a freakin' eternity......time suspended even more that root canal time or High Mass on Christmas Eve time.....
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
More distance ...a nugde
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:56 am
must be Russian
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
I must have been sleeping the last who knows how long...I just noticed that Pans' hurricane is wearing a doo rag......very FUSE.......
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
weights and liquids:
sprinkle
gob
scoop
squirt
sift
strain
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
a jot of
a pile of
a stack of
a sack of
a pack of
a sock of
a store of
a larder full of
a bag of
a purse full of
a room full of
a barrel full of (monkeys)
a truckload of (cardboard-like tomatoes)
a syringe full of (novocaine)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:38 pm
smidgeon--smaller than skosh.

smaller still, if the 'midge' part is pronounced in a tinny, high frequency tone.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:55 pm
Beer in Australia;

A 'Tinny' is a 375ml can of beer.
A 'Throwdown' is a 250ml bottle of beer.
A 'Stubby' is a 375ml bottle of beer.
A 'Longneck' is a 750ml bottle of beer.

Tinnies throwdowns and stubbies come in 'Slabs' of 24 bottles.

As far as draught beer goes you've got pots, pints, middies, schooners and ponies. The sizes of each vary somewhat from state to state, mainly just to confuse tourists I think.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
Fascinating, Adrian.

Thanks to everyone with special mention honors to Osso (for, IMO, being poetic with 'forever' ) and Bi Polar Bear for not disappointing me that someone would bring up the ever popular CH,

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:49 pm
In coterie with forever, I'll give you tomorrow and manana and domani, all those in a bit of a different context with some of the same nebulousness.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 04:58 am
Adrian writes on : "Beer in Australia"
I would advise caution.

Of course, the name of the beer container is only half the battle. You also have to know which beer is available in the particular part of Australia you are ordering in, and you also have to be aware of the correct usage
of the word mate.

For example, if a bloke is behind the bar you order a beer in Queensland if you are buying for yourself as follows:

Barman: Mate, are you right?
Queenslander: Pot a XXXX thanks mate
Barman (after getting money): Thanks mate
Queenslander (after getting beer): Thanks mate

or alternatively, if you are shouting:

Queenslander: G'day mate, a jug a XXXX thanks
Barman (after getting money): Thanks mate
Queenslander (after getting beer): Thanks mate

Note that all words are typically slurred together regardless of whether or not you are sober. Note also, that if you were lucky enough to be served by a barmaid, then you would typically, but not necessarily, drop the use of the word mate. If are really on the ball, you will observe the placement of mate at the end of the sentence in the first order but not in the second order (due to the use in G'day mate). Further, G'day mate is not used in the first order as the Barman enquired as to whether or not the Queenslander was 'right'. That's just the way it is.

However, this same ritual observed in New South Wales would result in a very dry evening. Observe:

Queenslander: Pot a XXXX thanks mate
Barman (looking confused?): Sorry?
Queenslander (thinking very hard and speaking slowly): Sorry, a schooner a New thanks
Barman: Are you from Queensland are you?
Barman (after receipt of money): Cheers
Queenslander (after receipt of beer and trying to fit in linguistically): Cheers

However, this won't get you very far if you wander up and west a little to the famous Northern Territory (which has the highest per capita beer consumption in the world). How would you cope, for example, if you heard this little exchange?

NT'er: Green can thanks bloke
Barman (after receipt of money): Thanks bloke
NT'er: Thanks bloke

You see, in order to speed up and simplify the process of ordering the nectar of the gods, the NT'ers have invented their own little code for fast and accurate delivery. It is based on the colours of the desired beer can (or tinnie):

You will also note the use of 'bloke' instead of mate. This is unique to the Territory. Bloke is used by Aussies all over Australia, but normally used in the same way as the american guy eg He's a good bloke; It's a bloke thing. Anyway, you now know the lingo. Give it a burl.

Also please note; Schooners, Glasses, Small Glasses and Ponys are pretty much unheard of and will identify the orderer as a novice, or worse, as a New South Welshman. Pot, Pint and Jug are the only measures to be used if credibility is to be maintained.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:21 am
jespah wrote:
Eleventeen is a good number, and you judge is a precise cooking measurement.

In law, we used to use helfino to describe anything unknown. "How long was it before you noticed the red light?" Helfino.
"Who's the judge assigned to this case?" "Helfino." "Okay, Judge Helfino."

* True story: I told a colleague that Helfino was assigned to a case and had to sprint later that day to keep him from sending a motion to the Honorable Justice Helfino.

I've learned the new word from Jespah! Very Happy

I'd like to know the etymology of Helfino!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:43 am
Q: What do you get when you cross and elephant with a rhinoceros?
A: Elifino (Hell if I know).
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
But returning to the topic,

"Until the twelfth of never (and that's a long, long time)"
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:06 am
Then there were the two schoolboys in Latin class. The teacher asked one of them to conjugate a word, but he didn't hear what she said. He turned to his companion and asked, "What was the word?" "Damfino," came the answer.

The boy stood up and recited, "Damfino, damfinas, damfinat..."
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:20 am
Iocum bonum!
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
Wy wrote:
Then there were the two schoolboys in Latin class. The teacher asked one of them to conjugate a word, but he didn't hear what she said. He turned to his companion and asked, "What was the word?" "Damfino," came the answer.

The boy stood up and recited, "Damfino, damfinas, damfinat..."

Hehe, "-fino" rules.

But please expain me with plain English about "Damfino, damfinas, damfinat...", Wy.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:41 am
In latin, to conjugate the present tense of a verb, you would say "amo, amas, amat; ammaus amatis, amant". In English this means "I love, you love, he loves; we love, you love they love." The student mistakes damn if I know to be the first person singular of a verb.

(Nothing like a long-winded explanation to knock the hell out of joke, eh?)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
Oh yeah, I forgot the eench. No, not an inch, an eench, as in "Here's an eenchy bit of sour cream, 'cause I know you're watching your calories."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 11:36 am
Once in a blue moon
On February 30
Second to the right and straight on til morning
0 Replies