Obama's Pardons and Commutations

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:26 am
Chelsea Manning, Willie McCovey, some general I for got his name. Any opinions on his choices?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,995 • Replies: 75

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:29 am
After pressure from Bernie Sanders, Puerto Rican independence activist wins commutation
Washington Post - ‎12 hours ago‎
Oscar Lopez Rivera, a Puerto Rican independence activist convicted 35 years ago of a conspiracy against the U.S. government, will be freed from prison after President Obama commuted his sentence.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 06:47 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_granted_executive_clemency_by_Barack_Obama
Wikipedia list of commutations
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:16 am
Cool things about being President: Nice suits, the ability to give these commutations. May not agree with all of them, but that is his prerogative.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:20 am
@McGentrix,
You could wear nice suits too, if that is what you really want.
Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 07:58 am
@oralloy,
Yeah, I know. Shoot them all to make America safe and great again. Yada yada.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:08 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

There should be no disparity between the amount of time served by Chelsea Manning and Jonathan Pollard.

Either Manning got away with an appallingly light sentence or the US government kept Pollard in prison for a long time because they don't like Jews.
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:19 am
@edgarblythe,
I read about Chelsea Manning's request. I liked that she didn't try to minimize her guilt and admitted to doing wrong. But then I forgot about it. Glad to know she will be let out.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:21 am
@oralloy,
It's all in the holy book, dude - or dudess ;

…15Do I not have the right to do as I please with what is mine? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ 16So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:21 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

There should be no disparity between the amount of time served by Chelsea Manning and Jonathan Pollard.

Either Manning got away with an appallingly light sentence or the US government kept Pollard in prison for a long time because they don't like Jews.

It may not be that absolute about him being a Jew. I would say Manning is getting away with a light sentence all things being equal. I'd like to see Kristian Saucier get out if Manning is getting out though.
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 08:41 am
@McGentrix,
Actually from what I understand, the time she will have served is a bit longer than the few other leak cases.

Quote:
In her commutation application, Ms. Manning said she had not imagined that she would be sentenced to the “extreme” term of 35 years, a term for which there was “no historical precedent.” (There have been only a handful of leak cases, and most sentence are one to three years.)

source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:06 am
I'm thrilled for Manning, and want Snowden and Assange freed.

The brave whistleblowers who reveal crimes against the people should be rewarded, and the criminals prosecuted. What a fucked up judicial system we have.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:10 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The brave whistleblowers who reveal crimes against the people should be rewarded, and the criminals prosecuted. What a fucked up judicial system we have.

Not one of them revealed a single crime of any sort. All any of them did was potentially get innocent people killed, further the cause of terrorism, and set back the cause of democracy around the world.
oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:13 am

Assange, by the way, recently pledged to turn himself in to US authorities if we freed the Manning traitor.

We'll see if he holds to his word. (Although it is actually the Swedish authorities who seek him.)
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:20 am
@oralloy,
I think they revealed that others were guilty of killing innocent people, furthering the cause of terrorism, and perverting democracy.

Kill the guilty, not the messenger.
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:21 am
@oralloy,
I know. I think they want Assange so bad, it led to the commutation.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:33 am
@Lash,
If you want to be accurate, Snowden revealed US spying plus took tons of unrelated data and did Lord knows with it. Manning revealed torture and other such crimes of the US. Both were wrong in that they revealed methods and put diplomats in danger and Manning has admitted to it and never went off and hid; a lot more courageous than Snowden. Pretty sure freedom the of press protects Assange, might be a gray area I don't really know.
maporsche

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:36 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think Snowden/Assange would have had a chance had he actually faced trial. I highly doubt any president would give any pardon/commutation to someone where the case hasn't been pled in court.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I think they revealed that others were guilty of killing innocent people, furthering the cause of terrorism, and perverting democracy.

None of them revealed any crime of any sort.

Manning however revealed the names of secret democracy advocates within brutal dictatorships, potentially getting some of them killed, and definitely eliminating any possibility that they would be able to secretly work toward democracy in their country.

Manning also revealed combat techniques used by US soldiers, which helped Iraqi insurgents learn how to kill Americans better.

Snowden revealed the techniques that the NSA uses to root out terrorist communications, thereby giving the terrorists an idea how to plan their attacks without getting caught. He also ensured that the NSA was busy with damage control instead of spending their energy looking for terrorists. It is possible that if not for Snowden the NSA would have detected the recent truck attacks in Europe in time to stop them.
0 Replies