Obama's Pardons and Commutations

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:52 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Disgraceful and dangerous to commit so many crimes against humanity, betray decency, and punish the ones who revealed it instead of the ones who perpetrated it.

The US did not commit ANY crimes against humanity, and these traitors did not reveal any such thing.

All they did was reveal the names of secret democracy activists so that they could be murdered by their dictators and help terrorists kill innocent Americans.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Putting a transgender in that setting was beyond reasonable.

As I said before, it is probably time for a national debate about how to incarcerate transgender inmates. What happened to Manning was no different from how any other transgender inmate is treated in our prison system.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:54 am
@oralloy,
Up all night on the computer again. It's a real social whirlwind with you.
Lash

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:52 am
@oralloy,
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/05/birgitta-jonsdottir-wikileaks-new-york-protest

Excerpt

The video was one of the most dramatic and impactful of the releases, as it showed US military personnel apparently taking pleasure in attacking Iraqis who they assumed were militants but turned out to be civilians including children and two Reuters journalists who were killed. The New York exhibition includes stills showing the helicopter's attack sites trained on individuals with captions drawn from the audio recorded inside the Apache.

"Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards"; "Keep shoot'n, keep shoot'n"; "Light 'em up, come on fire!" the captions say.

Jónsdóttir is struck by the fact that the only person who has been prosecuted as a result of the video was its alleged leaker, Manning. "None of the individuals responsible for the war crimes shown in Collateral Murder have been put on trial. Only him."

---------------------------------
This is just one. Snowden and Manning did leak high crimes by the US and to pretend otherwise is irresponsible.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Up all night on the computer again. It's a real social whirlwind with you.

My partying days are long in the past. Somehow I've became middle aged.

But speaking of late-night socializing, did I ever mention that the guy who used to buy beer for me and my friends when we were in high school ended up in prison. Really weird story.

We had a core of about 5 people who used to party all night in some sort of warehouse during the summer. I don't even remember where the warehouse is (was?) anymore. I remember one time one of the guys found some sort of kids bike that was way too small for him, and he kept tearing around and around the warehouse on it. There was also a traveling party of about 40 people (mostly college age, though not in college, whereas we were still in high school) that once in a while came and visited us for about an hour before traveling on to some other location. I imagine they made for a long convey of drunk drivers when they traveled from spot to spot. When they were with us suddenly everything got a lot more crowded with strangers everywhere jabbering about whatnot. I liked it much better when it was just a close group of friends drinking together in a warehouse and listening to rock and roll on the radio.

Anyway, there was a guy in his 20s who always bought kegs for us (our money of course, but his adult ID). He also left a big revolver for us in case we got in trouble and needed to shoot anyone. It was a .357 magnum L-frame with a 6 inch barrel. (Back in those days a .357 L-frame only held six shots.) We always left the gun alone and focused on the keg. The traveling party never knew it was there.

Anyway, about 10 years after high school, one day out of the blue all of my old high school friends came to me with this pyramid scheme to invest in. It was weird. Normally a pyramid scheme tries to disguise itself, but this was so obviously a pyramid scheme that it almost sounded like a parody of a pyramid scheme. Then a few days later it was all over the news getting busted by the police. It had apparently reached all over the state of Michigan by the point it got to me.

Needless to say I refused to invest.

Anyway, it turned out that the pyramid scheme was initially funded by the retirement funds of some gullible old people, and whenever they started asking questions the schemers sent someone to murder them.

And it turned out that the guy who murdered all the old people was the very same guy who used to buy our kegs and leave that big revolver with us.

I wondered at first if he did the killings with the same gun, but apparently he used a 9mm pistol instead.

Anyway, the jury mandated that he spend the rest of his life in prison, and the judge even gave a silly speech about him being one of the only truly evil people he had ever seen in his courtroom, so he's in prison now.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 03:49 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/05/birgitta-jonsdottir-wikileaks-new-york-protest

Excerpt

The video was one of the most dramatic and impactful of the releases, as it showed US military personnel apparently taking pleasure in attacking Iraqis who they assumed were militants but turned out to be civilians including children and two Reuters journalists who were killed. The New York exhibition includes stills showing the helicopter's attack sites trained on individuals with captions drawn from the audio recorded inside the Apache.

"Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards"; "Keep shoot'n, keep shoot'n"; "Light 'em up, come on fire!" the captions say.

The soldiers thought they were firing on the enemy. Friendly fire is always a tragedy, but it isn't a war crime.

Lash wrote:
Jónsdóttir is struck by the fact that the only person who has been prosecuted as a result of the video was its alleged leaker, Manning. "None of the individuals responsible for the war crimes shown in Collateral Murder have been put on trial. Only him."

No war crimes were shown in "Collateral Murder".

Friendly fire is not in any way a crime.

Lash wrote:
This is just one.

Except it isn't. All it is is a really bad case of friendly fire.

Lash wrote:
Snowden and Manning did leak high crimes by the US

That is incorrect. They leaked no crimes whatsoever, except for Iraqi crimes that everyone already knew about.

Lash wrote:
and to pretend otherwise is irresponsible.

There is no pretending. Neither of them leaked any US crime of any sort.

Friendly fire is something we want to try to prevent as much as possible, but such accidents are a part of war. They are not a crime.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:34 am
@oralloy,
As one judge told me once, in an unrelated case, "Two wrongs don't make a right."
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 05:41 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
As one judge told me once, in an unrelated case, "Two wrongs don't make a right."

This was an event that involved zero wrongs.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:03 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Putting a transgender in that setting was beyond reasonable.

Yeah, like this punk wants to complain about getting punked by the entire prison population, eh? It wouldn't surprise me if "she" refuses the commutation. "She" is in punk heaven, as it stands.
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:56 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Yeah, like this punk wants to complain about getting punked by the entire prison population, eh? It wouldn't surprise me if "she" refuses the commutation. "She" is in punk heaven, as it stands.

I respectfully disagree. I think it is pretty clear that she is not enjoying the experience of being transgender in a men's prison.

I hope she wasn't actually raped as you suggest may have happened.

This is not to justify her crimes. She should have served at least as much time as Jonathan Pollard served. But just because someone deserves to be in prison does not mean they deserve to be raped. And we should do everything possible to prevent such rapes from happening.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:29 pm

IN FINAL ACT AS PRESIDENT, OBAMA COMMUTES 330 DRUG SENTENCES
0 Replies

layman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:43 pm
@oralloy,
It aint rape when ya ask for it, aincha heard?
RABEL222

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:59 pm
@izzythepush,
I could already tell from the jealous posts you post.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 07:17 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
It aint rape when ya ask for it, aincha heard?

Chelsea Manning has not consented to any of this abuse whatsoever.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 07:26 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Friendly fire is always a tragedy, but it isn't a war crime.

I should also add that the case of friendly fire is entirely the fault of the reporters who were killed. They were the ones who:

a) did not inform the US military that they would be in the area, and

b) did not wear any emblems on their clothing (like the words "PRESS" or "TV" in large letters) that would clearly identify them as being reporters, and

c) went up to insurgents who without wearing a proper military uniform were firing on American soldiers, and intermingled with those insurgents.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
@RABEL222,
You keep telling yourself that. I'm happy to live somewhere with decent healthcare, an expectation that my kids won't be shot down in school, and proper tea.
0 Replies