Obama's Pardons and Commutations

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:44 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Manning revealed torture and other such crimes of the US.

Nonsense. No he didn't.

revelette1 wrote:
Pretty sure freedom the of press protects Assange, might be a gray area I don't really know.

It very well might. But.... he is wanted in Sweden on multiple rape charges.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:59 am
@edgarblythe,
The treatment Chelsea Manning has long been a stain on America's reputation. Obama did the right thing.

All Assange did is publish stuff he was given, he's not even an American. It wouldn't take much for America to guarantee they will not try to extradite him after he stands trial in Sweden.
Lash

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:05 am
@oralloy,
When you read the specifics of the "rape" charges, you'll laugh and wonder why anyone would ever have sex in Sweden.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The treatment Chelsea Manning has long been a stain on America's reputation. Obama did the right thing.

There is no shame in putting traitors in prison.

Apologies for calling Manning a "he" in my previous post. I'd been meaning to use "she" if I referred to her by pronoun but then I didn't even think about it when I wrote the sentence.
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:10 am
@oralloy,
I am no fan Assange, I think he was duped this last time and came off the loser for it. However, I read about those rape charges, it an odd case. From what I understand, both women consented but objected once a condom was no longer in use. Understandable. So, once having giving consent, you are no longer able to say no?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:16 am
@revelette1,
Rape is no joke, and Assange should answer the charges. The suspicion is that these are bogus charges just to get Assange out of Britain where he would not be extradited to America to Sweden where they would be more compliant.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:19 am
@oralloy,
Please don't address anymore of your nonsensical drivel towards me, the real world is very complicated and way bryond your level of understanding, stick to the World of Warcraft. Know your limits.
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:24 am
@izzythepush,
Well, I can see why that would be a suspicion, however, just because people admire someone and because it would be thought politically convenient, does not mean the charges are false; if so that would be pretty handy. I am not even sure the US is has expressed an interest in getting Assange. But then, I have never bothered to look into it. But the following is the woman's account.

10 Days in Sweden

I am not so sure the charges should be so automatically dismissed because Assange is not too friendly to US interest. If they are, it kind of gives him immunity for about anything.

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Please don't address anymore of your nonsensical drivel towards me,

Just because facts are inconvenient does not make them nonsensical drivel.

izzythepush wrote:
the real world is very complicated and way bryond your level of understanding, stick to the World of Warcraft. Know your limits.

As has already been explained to you, I'm actually the smartest person you've ever talked to, by a really big margin.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 11:39 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I am not even sure the US is has expressed an interest in getting Assange.

I'm pretty sure that we haven't.

Manning and Snowden could be prosecuted because they signed secrecy agreements with the US government. Assange has never signed such an agreement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 12:20 pm
" Ms. Manning, who twice tried to kill herself last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the men’s military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction."

Cruel and unusual punishment anyone?
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 01:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm not sure of cruel; however, with her being transgender in male military prison, not to mention the operation they were facing with Trump as President and considering she already served 7 years, I am very glad Obama was willing to let her case be time served in May. I am also glad she didn't ask for a pardon.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 01:18 pm
@revelette1,
He has said that he will answer charges in Sweden but only on condition that America will not attempt to extradite him afterwards. The ball is in America's court.
revelette1

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 02:42 pm
@izzythepush,
He says a lot of things. The ball is not in America's court, we have nothing to do with charges he faces.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 09:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do western jeans and a western style shirt qualify as a suit?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2017 10:19 pm
Whatever you want them to be.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
" Ms. Manning, who twice tried to kill herself last year, from an uncertain future as a transgender woman incarcerated at the men’s military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. She has been jailed for nearly seven years, and her 35-year sentence was by far the longest punishment ever imposed in the United States for a leak conviction."

Cruel and unusual punishment anyone?

There is no reason for her length of time served to be any different from Jonathan Pollard's length of time served.

Unless of course we're going to start giving Jews special lengthened sentences.

And I think that is actually it. I think the Democratic Party wants to give Jews longer sentences. That is why so many on the Left think Manning served too long of a sentence while at the same time wanting Jonathan Pollard to serve even more time.

As far as the plight of a transgender inmate in a men's prison goes, the nation should probably have a policy debate about how best to incarcerate transgender inmates.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:31 am
@revelette1,
America has everything to do with the threat of extradition on trumped up charges.

Obama may have freed Manning but the length of her original sentence was obscene.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 01:32 am
@RABEL222,
They normally qualify as looking like a dickhead.
hightor

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 03:29 am
Not a big fan of Snowden but I'd like to see Bowe Bergdahl get a pardon.

Quote:
Snowden revealed the techniques that the NSA uses to root out terrorist communications, thereby giving the terrorists an idea how to plan their attacks without getting caught.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to gloss over this fact.