Initial meld pick pack with Aces and Joker

Fri 13 Jan, 2017 10:34 am
I had a heated discussion on this topic. I have 3 aces in my hand, and the player before me discards an ace. Then at my initial meld I put down the 3 aces from my hand with a big joker, and 3 pure of something else, (over 125 points), and then I took the pack with the top ace which is added to the initial non-pure Ace meld. I have satisfied all conditions for picking the pack at the initial meld, including using a joker with Aces. It should not matter that I took the pack with an Ace on top to create a non-pure Aces meld. I think this is a legal meld with aces and joker. Please confirm my position. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,779 • Replies: 2
Topic Closed
No top replies

ehbsumm

Wed 2 Jan, 2019 02:16 pm
@psilversmith,
In order to meld by picking the pack, you have to show that you have the requirements without using the pack or the 2 aces in your hand. You set aside the aces in your hand and the picked pack, meld without the aces (or the pack) to show that you have the correct count and then use the aces and picked pack with whatever cards you like to add to your melded cards. An ace canasta with wild cards is legitimate ONLY WHEN MELDING if you have another pure 3 card number to meld AT THE SAME TIME. But you cannot use the picked pack as part of your meld under any circumstances, nor can you put down the three aces with wild cards unless you have a pure triple as well. If you can show that you have a clean triple and two or more aces with wildcards to meld, you are entitled to pick the pack, meld with the cards in your hand and then use the pack. after you meld, all ace canastas must be pure.
Sarahj

Mon 15 Apr, 2019 12:16 am
@ehbsumm,
So if I put an ace on discard pile can the next person, who hasn’t melded yet, pick the pile, put down two aces with a wild card and five eights from her hand to meld, and then add that ace to her other aces? I thought she would have to add two more aces from her hand to be able to pick the pile.
0 Replies