Modern American Canasta

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2023 08:18 pm
I am playing Modern American Canasta. I have a question about melding at the time of picking the pack. Here is the scenario: I threw a nine on the pack and the next player to my left had not yet melded. She needed 155 points to meld. She went down with five wild cards: J2222 (130 points) and 4 nines (40 points), and took the pack by adding the 9 to the others. Is this legal? Sure, she could meld with that hand, but I don't agree that she can take the pack because she didn't have FIVE nines in her hand. Doesn't she have to meld the J2222 and the 3 nines (160 points) PLUS have 2 more nines in her hand to take the pack?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 373 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Em24

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2023 05:12 am
@nbct99eaela,
Great question. Yes this is typically acceptable in Modern American Canasta because the player is not relying on the top card from the discard pile to meet their opening requirement. For example, if they opened with J2222 and 999 (let’s say two nines in hand and one nine from the pack), this would NOT be allowed because the nine helps meet the point requirement. However, if they had three or more nines in their hand then they can take the pack and tag on the nine from the discard pile to their existing meld. One caveat with all things canasta is that there are different table rules, but this is commonly accepted.
0 Replies