edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 07:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I was completely serious about not wanting to eat cheese. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 09:30 pm
Our new rings came today. Hers is just a tad loose. In my case, the ring is perfect, which means my fingers must be larger than before. Time was, a thirteen and a half was perfect. Now it's fourteen. If they continue to get bigger I am just going to give up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 05:54 am
I had two pairs of shoes on the floor together. Got on a slip on and the other one on and tied, before I noticed a problem. I tend to walk lopsided when I wear them that way.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:52 am
@edgarblythe,
I knew that... but not about your doggy's likes. Very Happy
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 10:58 am
@ossobucotemp,
Rocky is a garbage disposal, for all but heartworm pills.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 11:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Some potato gnocchi recipes listed on google have cheese, but plenty don't...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/potato-gnocchi-recipe

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lauras-potato-gnocchi.aspx

You can buy them ready made at a lot of grocery stores and likely at italian markets if there are any near you. No italian markets in my neighborhood, but several regular grocery stores here have them. Walmart has them, if you shop there. I'm not a walmart fan, but go there once in a blue moon.

I'm probably repeating myself, but Katy loved her gnocchi, even stuffed with a pill.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 11:48 am
@ossobucotemp,
I'm surrounded by Walmarts. Last week they opened a new one to my north. So, in five minutes or less I can now be at one, no matter which way I turn out of the neighborhood. The new one made national news, because you can pay as you shop and then just leave.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
We've got two close to us, one very large and one smaller - and we lost our favorite market, John Brooks Market, when the smaller walmart showed up on Unser Blvd., a royal pain since Diane and I both liked Brooks and it was much closer to our homes. Brooks couldn't compete. Grrrrr.

On the other hand, their vegetable selection in the big W market is better than a lot of other not too far away stores.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I haven't visited the new one. Waiting on the early rush to die. Across the street from it they are building an organic only Aldi's.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Aren't they the people that started Trader Joe's? I could easily be wrong on that.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

These scenes make life worthwhile.
Your mention that under certain conditions one can see about 8 degrees below the horizon reminds me of a time I stood watch and reported sighting one of our ships. The officer on deck could not see anything over there. But radar proved me correct. He admonished me to not use the radar to spot contacts.

He was a jerk, but young "Os" are like that some times.With some differential refraction one sometimes sees the superstructure of distant ships that appear to float above the horizon while the hull remains invisible.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:17 pm
@georgeob1,
He was green, all right. We had a steady succession of those. One looked and acted very much like Tim Conway.
Chief: "I wouldn't do that to that engine."
Brand new Ensign: "I know what I'm doing. I'm an officer."
Engine blows.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I know of Trader Joes, but have no experience with them.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 12:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
They usually get over that nonsense by the time they make Lieutenant. It's mostly a result of ignorance and insecurity. Aviation was a fairly hard school that required fast learning. One of the many pithy sayings I recall from then was , "When you're headed for a cliff, the guy who tells you you're ******* up isn't really your enemy, and the guy who keeps his mouth shut isn't really your friend."
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:15 pm
@georgeob1,
I sounded pretty harsh about them, but, most turned out okay.
I never got into the engine room, except to deliver messages. They had one funny routine. Every new guy was cautioned about the scooba valve. To pull it out was like pulling the plug on a bathtub, except the water rushed in. Every so often they would have someone thinking he moved it.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I remember Walter posting about Aldi's and TJ's some years ago, but not the details. I think I'm glad Aldi's will be local to you. For me, TJ's is a long way away, across the city.

But, before all this, TJ's installed their store in a sort of then crumby place in west Los Angeles, and my friends and I and later husband used to go there, this back in the 70's. I've read that was the second TJ's, the first being in Pasadena.
Years later, my niece worked at TJs in a location closer to all of us, off and on while she pursued her education. She's still pursuing it.

When he called after Christmas, he told me she's working at our old TJ's again, I presume a revision of that old crumby place a long time ago. This makes me quite happy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:49 pm
I think Aldi's just recently went organic. They are still putting the store together.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
all organic or part organic?

I think I've only been to our cross town TJ's once since the funny ride that
RealJohnBoy and Roger and I spent with anxiety and phone calls to find the place.
OK, maybe twice or three. Three is the max so far.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm not sure, until I go in. I saw an ad recently proclaiming that Aldi's has gone organic. It better be good or I won't be back.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 05:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Listening.
0 Replies