edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 09:38 am
On a writer's site this morning, a few authors were touting hiring an editor for one's manuscript. I have never disputed the benefits of getting professional help. One of these authors pointed out the fact it helps to keep one from committing embearassing mistakes. Some of us are stuck with our own mess to clean up, as the finances are not there to pay for it. I am of the latter persuasion. Which is in part why it is taking so long to put the finishing polish on my latest effort. If when I read a passage it does not flow smoothly enough to suit me, I have to revisit it until it cannot be further improved on by my talents. It may not be great literature, but it is my literature.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:01 am
@edgarblythe,
If you have English grammar, content and style, nothing else matters.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:20 am
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for always being there, CI. You are a great human being.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Give Rocky a headscratch for me, eh? That is, if he likes headscratches, or similar.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:25 pm
@ossobucotemp,
He lives for head scratches and belly rubs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 10:34 pm
Planning on painting the house this coming up week or so. We were out picking color samples at Lowe's. I prefer buying at Home Depot, but did not want to drive so far today. Thinking about Delicate White walls, Phoenix Fossil trim and Forsythia Blossom shutters. White, grey, yellow. They look good on the color page.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Have fun! I like painting myself.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 07:12 pm
It's exceptionally beautiful out there, after a day of unceasing rain. The clouds have separated into long strands with great runs of silver in them, despite the sky being a few shades short of indigo. There is a hue of red cast over almost the entire scene. The stars shine as brightly as ever I saw them from right here. This a great curtain hung behind a framework of tall pines in stark silhouette. In the time it took me to write this description, this incredible scene will have vanished forever, as the sun drops further behind the horizon. Oh, well. Time to be in the kitchen, making dinner.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Our dinner was a very simple affair. Rice with tea, and a can of smoked clams and takuwan. Really enjoyed it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2017 08:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sounds great. We had hot dogs and iced tea.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:20 pm
My dog appears to have lost a taste for peanut butter. It may be a one time thing. I have been wrapping his monthly pill in it. After, I had been letting him lick up any excess peanut butter. He always loved it. This time he left it on the dish. I don't know what else I can use if I have to quit using peanut butter.
Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 12:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Can't you just shove it down his throat? That was my approach with cats. Maybe it won't work with dogs.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 05:50 am
@Roberta,
I can certainly try. He can swallow something the size of your fist without it touching the sides on its way down, but has a tough time swallowing one of these things.
Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 07:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Maybe it needs some lubrication. Butter?
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 09:49 am
@edgarblythe,
I used to put Katy's pill in a potato gnocchi - they're not hard to make if you are interested - she would scarf them. I can find the recipe if you want.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 04:58 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I would at least consider it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 04:59 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Maybe it needs some lubrication. Butter?

Butter. That could be it. He has so far managed to steal two sticks of butter. He ate wrapper and all. That means he likes it, right?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 05:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Very nice description Edgar: almost as good as the scene itself.

I recall one winter night a long time ago I was launched from a CV on a very dark, moonless, clear winter night in the mid Atlantic, and an hour or so later after the mission, while cruising back to the ship at fairly high altitude I saw a red glow over the Eastern Horizon which gradually grew brighter - I soon realized I was watching a rare event, the rising of a full Spring moon over an empty ocean in a chrystal clear sky. It was truly breathtaking. With the oceanic refraction one can see objects about 8 degrees below the horizon, and the moon was initially scarlet red, gradually fading to pink and yellow as it rose. I've never forgotten the sight and my reaction to it.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 05:45 pm
@georgeob1,
These scenes make life worthwhile.
Your mention that under certain conditions one can see about 8 degrees below the horizon reminds me of a time I stood watch and reported sighting one of our ships. The officer on deck could not see anything over there. But radar proved me correct. He admonished me to not use the radar to spot contacts.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 06:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
I just reread two Katy threads, took me some hours. That was a mix of sorrow and joy, but I haven't read the third or last one yet. Failing in gumption.

I'll noodle around for easy recipes that doggies like.

Besides me, an amateur, ehBeth is more knowledgeable.

But - gnocchi is both easy and tasty. I will presume you would want me to skip ricotta (cheese) gnocchi? Potato gnocchi is also delicious for humans and dogs.