How much of Support for Israel is based on Biblical Mythology?

djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 08:09 am
How much of Support for Israel is based on Biblical Mythology?

all of it
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 09:07 am
@djjd62,
You tend to post flippant comments so, at times,it's hard to tell if you are being serious. This is one such time.

Do you really believe that ALL support for Israel is based on Biblical mythology, because I can tell you that I support Israel and am neither Christian nor Jewish and believe the Bible is largely a book of myths and legends. I'm under no delusion that the existence of Israel is somehow going to trigger the End of Days and the Second Coming.

I have a feeling I'm not alone.
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 09:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
often when a conflict exists between two peoples the nations of the world will attempt any solution to ease the conflict, this can and has involved creating new territories or states, i believe that the no quarter given to the Palestinians has much to do with the christian world view of bible prophecy and mythology

as for being flippant, my philosophy is, believe nothing absolutely, mock everything absolutely
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 10:51 am
@djjd62,
I've no issue with your philosophy other than it sometimes makes it difficult to tell if you are being serious with any given post.

For example, you answered the OP's question with "All" of the support for Israel is based on Biblical mythology.

Now you've explained that you believe that hardline stances against Palestinian positions has "much" to do with the Christian worldview of bible prophecy and mythology (whatever that is)

Will you acknowledge that support for Israel and "no quarter given to the Palestinians" are not synonymous? If not, then you would seem to be challenging folks like max on their claims of being "supporters" of Israel.

It seems clear by your most recent post that you don't actually believe that ALL support for Israel is based on any sort of a Christian world view. How could it be when there are quite a few Jews, Agnostics, and Atheists who "support" Israel? I imagine there may even be a few Muslims, Taoists and Jains who do as well.

I don't mean to nitpick here, but knowing the OP's view of Christianity and the Bible the title of this thread is, I believe, an attempt to broadly paint support for Israel as irrational. (I do BTW think that for at least the purposes of this thread, the OP is conflating "support" for Israel and a hardline stand against Palestinian positions). I was curious as to why you answered "All" because it seems to me to play into the unfair generalization of the OP, and if so I wish to challenge your view.

There are, of course, evangelical Christians whose support for Israel is tied up with their interpretation of Biblical prophesy, but I think it's a very weak case that most of Israel's support here in America comes from these prophesy motivated Christians (Obviously it can be "all") and I would like to see some evidence that this might be an accurate perception. Perhaps max had already provided what he believes to be such evidence and I've missed it by not reading the entirety of posts in this thread. If that's the case, I'm sure he'll direct me to it, but what leads you to your conclusion?

dalehileman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 12:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn Im impressed by your erudition (some of the others' too), and thank you for the profile with so many pertinent quotes. However, I've always maintained (with virtually no support whatever) that more of us should post a profile, but especially with personal info too

I suppose many are fearful of revelation, ID. Still I am [email protected] and apparently don't care who else knows it
Foofie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 01:56 pm
Let me offer another thought of what support for Israel is in a secular context. Israel continues to be the innovator of new technology. Back in the '70's they were tinkering with drones, before anyone thought of the concept. They also developed high tech digital innovations. Regardless, I see Israel for what it really is: a place that affords the west new money making technology due to their penchant for innovation. And, the payoff is that no one has to invite a Jew to dinner to avail their company of the research and development. Yup! Jewish brains, without the awkward lunch meetings. In effect, capitalist America benefits from Jewish brains, and they also benefit from having high tech military gear battle tested without putting American military in harms way. What a deal!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
you must be a riot at parties

as for challenging my view, good luck with that, it's more contrarian than the most contrarian thing you can think of, perhaps even more so
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:35 pm
@djjd62,
Actually I am, but unlike you (apparently) I don't consider this forum a "party."

You're not a bad guy; do you really want to invite insults?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:35 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
don't care who else knows it
Oops I just read a posting of somebody who says he was expelled from a2k for such a revelation. Mgmt, whomever you are and for whatever reason, if that's so, please first give us some sort of warning
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
insults?
Finn he was just trying to be funny. The longer I work here (17 years now, or is it 18 at 86) the more obvious some of these apparent crits are not, but actually hilarious
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:45 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
i just find it hard to take the little things in life (politics, religion, philosophy, grammar/esl etc) very seriously
dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:48 pm
@djjd62,
Well put Dj, my feeling exactly
....almost
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:52 pm
@djjd62,
I always like your crisp replies, deege. Sometimes I even agree with you. Whatever, keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:52 pm
@dalehileman,
We disagree.

He often is but not in this case.

Apparently it got under his skin to have his view "challenged."

That's fine, but if anyone responds to challenges in a discussion forum with "ha ha" insults, then they should expect the same in return.

You'll note I didn't do so, I simply asked him if he was inviting them.

As I acknowledged to him, he's a good guy, but he also wouldn't be the first jester to ever hide insults in "mirth." Whose job is it to monitor that? The jester or the mocked?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 02:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
they should expect the same in return.
True Finn, but when insult unintended, doesn't one kinda reveal himself when coming back with crit-crit

Quote:
√hide insults in "mirth."
Edited to acknowledge your concede. You write well

Quote:
Whose job is it to monitor that?
Okay Finn but one reason for the Average knownothing (me) to avoid that sort of thing is to avoid display of his ignorance

Again vastly enjoy all you fellas
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
i've got no problem with you. and if you felt i insulted you, it wasn't my intention, as you stated, i tend to be flippant, i like playing the fool, though i'm rarely, if ever, playing

dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:03 pm
@djjd62,
Yes yes Dj, yes 'flippant,' the very word was lookinfer
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:23 pm
@djjd62,
No kidding.

I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion with you. If you prefer not to, that's fine, just spare me the snark.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:25 pm
@dalehileman,
And precisely how would anyone know that what appeared to be an insult was not intended to be?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 03:27 pm
@djjd62,
I responded to a prior comment before I saw this.

I accept that your comment was not intended to insult.

I've no ax to grind with you.