Libertarian Purity Test

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:10 pm
I guess I have to take it again to see what 25 means. Will be amusing to see how I answer the second time. Er, for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 11:18 pm
Aha, this time I came out with 19, a soft core libertarian. Apparently one doesn't get to leave the sway until you get into the minuses.

So it goes.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:15 am
I check out being slightly to the left of center squarely in the libertarian sector with scores of 80 and 90%. Again, if the only names on the ballot for president were George W. Bush and the name of a libertarian candidate, I'd still be voting for George. The guy trying to predict anything from test scores would lose his bet.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 07:18 pm
msolga wrote:
Thank you for your response, Thomas. So then would I wrong in understanding that Libertarians believe individuals sink or swim as a result of your own efforts, or good or bad fortune ...? That intervention is appropriate in only very extreme cases of need?

That depends on the libertarian you ask. I cannot summarize the positions of all of them here, so I'll single out the position of Milton Friedman, who is arguably the most influential libertarian of the last 50 years. In his Capitalism and Freedom -- which I recommend both for its clarity and for its short, 200 page length -- he supports socially funded insurance for catastrophic health and finance problems. Moreover, he argues for replacing welfare with a greatly expanded version of what we now call the Earned Income Tax Credit. He also wants schools to be funded -- but not run -- by the government. Practically all other social programs he wants to leave to the private sector.

Hope that clarifies it
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 11:18 pm
Yes. Thank you, Thomas.
0 Replies