Libertarian Purity Test

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
I find the test doesn't really pull in those of us who have anarchist, rather than "anarcho-capitalist" (as they called it) leanings.

For example, in my ideal, utopian world, there wouldn't be a state, it's true. But only if there is no corporate power either, no oligarchs and multinationals. The state, in my view, in the end is a necessary evil that steps in to check/counterweigh corporate-commercial hierarchies, and commpensates for community ties that have become fractured in the process of increase in size and scope.

The utopia of self-governing communities can not be realised anymore in the modern world, imho - it sadly belongs to the age of 19th century Russian villagers toiling their land communally. Modern technology and the ever increasing reduction of distance has by definition increased the scale of institutional arrangements too. Now libertarians want to break down one half of that institutional equation - all government arrangements, all its checks and balances - while letting the other half, that of commercial globalisation and concentration of economic power, gallop on without constraint.

Practical example: in, I dunno, El Paso in 1886, the average employer might have been the owner of a shoe-repair place, with two, three or five assistants. You have something to sort out with your boss? You can sort it out with him, if he ain't too cruel. Now, the average employer might be a transnational business with three thousand employees in twelve cities (if not much more still). The scale and concentration of power has increased proportionally, and you as lone employee have little to bring up anywhere.

The only solution here is if you have your own concentration of power on similar scale - a strong national union or yes, a government agency that enforces labour standards. Libertarians want to break down all that half, but have a blind spot for the similarly institutionalised, globalised, concentrated power structures in the private space. Thats no way to create individual self-rule. Privatising the roads or army doesn't make the individual any more free - it just transfers the power over him from one (publicly owned) national entity to another (privately owned) one.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:40 pm
I like the idea of a 'big state' that represents the whole and prevents the 'little states' from bullying each other. Isn't that the whole purpose of Law? To keep bullies in check?

Where I am libertarian is that I want the big state to focus solely on the big stuff as denoted in our constitution: the national defense, protect our inalienable rights, promote (not provide) the national welfare, and reign in the bullies. I want the federal and state governments to do only that which cannot be done more efficiently and effectively by the private sector.

All the other stuff I want returned to the local communities to decide based on the corporate local community values.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:47 pm
nimh wrote:
Wow, this is being quite the revelation. An utterly different way to group A2K' ers by their political conviction than the usual tired left/right, liberal/conservative one.

That's indeed a revelation. Especially since you and I end up at such opposite ends of the scale. From arguing with you, I had always gotten the impression that we have a fairly similar outlook on politics. We are presuaded by the same kind of evidence and by the same kind of arguments. True, we often disagree in the conclusions we draw, but I'm still surprised we ended up on opposite ends of the scale.

nimh wrote:
Now, the average employer might be a transnational business with three thousand employees in twelve cities (if not much more still). The scale and concentration of power has increased proportionally, and you as lone employee have little to bring up anywhere.

I would offer two arguments against this practical example. One, multinationals are "the average employer" only if weighted by the press coverage they are getting. The average business is still small to midsized (I can look up the stats if you want), and the average employee works for a small to mid-sized business. But small companies never make news on TV and national newspapers, so you are likely to be unaware of how widespread they are.

Second counterargument: I agree that concentration of power is a problem, but this is a much bigger problem with states than with corporations. For a rough measure of what I mean, consider that the size of the ten largest nations is measured in hundreds of millions of citizens, the 10 largest cities is measured in millions of citizens, and the size of the ten largest companies is measured in hundreds of thousands of employees. Control over a nation concentrates much more power in the hands of a few than control over a corporation does. Hence, when power is shifted from the national to the private level or at least to the regional level, that's part of the solution to your problem, not part of your problem. it is also an answer to your following interjection:

nimh wrote:
Libertarians want to break down all that half, but have a blind spot for the similarly institutionalised, globalised, concentrated power structures in the private space.

As I hope I have demonstrated, we are not blind to private power structures. We only think that they compare to the power concentration in governments like chickenpox compares to small pox, and so we think it worthwile to trade off the latter for the former.

nimh wrote:
Libertarians want to break down all that half, but have a blind spot for the similarly institutionalised, globalised, concentrated power structures in the private space. Thats no way to create individual self-rule. Privatising the roads or army doesn't make the individual any more free - it just transfers the power over him from one (publicly owned) national entity to another (privately owned) one.

As it happens, this extreme position is not held by all libertarians. Most of us want a nightwatchman state of approximately the size Adam Smith described. This state would supply national defense, courts, police, roads, and it would finance -- but not necessarily operate -- the schools. All of this can be done with about 10% of GDP, which is 1/3 the size we have in the USA and about 1/4 - 1/5 of what we have in Europe.

As to your example, I tend to agree with you about interstate highways; but over the centuries, in countries like Switzerland and the early US, private militias appear to have done a fairly adequate job in defending civil liberties against the threat of military dictatorship. Anarcho-capitalists typically want to abolish the standing army and have the government defended exclusively by citizen militias of the kind I just described. Intuitively I don't think that would work. But it might, and I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:55 pm
In the United States, the interstate highway system was initiated by Eisenhower specifically for purposes of national defense. So in that sense that would be a legitimate function of the federal government.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
12, I'm even more libertarian than Nimh!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In the United States, the interstate highway system was initiated by Eisenhower specifically for purposes of national defense. So in that sense that would be a legitimate function of the federal government.

Also note that several large roads, such as the original Pennsylvania turnpike, were built and operated by private companies. So there is a defensible case it might work. I just don't have very much confidence in this case on the gut level.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
Hmmm .. updated the list ... and added a specification of where the Europeans in the list are. Interesting :wink:

99 CannibalCrowley
77 Bi-Polar Bear
76 Flyboy804
70 Thomas - Eur
68 Phoenix
48 Montana
31-50 Dyslexia
37 Edgarblythe
35 Msolga
31 Foxfyre
28 Revel
16-30 Larry434
23 McGentrix
17 Ebrown
14 Cycloptichorn
14 Walter Hinteler - Eur
12 Einherjar - Eur
11 Nimh - Eur
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:36 pm
Well, Thomas is from Bavaria. (At least, he lives there.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:40 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, Thomas is from Bavaria.

LOL Walter ;-)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:42 pm
Interesting indeed. Almost all Europeans are communists, and the only one who holds mainstream views is planning to move to America in a few months. Maybe I should have asked for political exile, not a Green Card Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:44 pm
Hehhehheh ...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
29 - soft core libertarian
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:54 pm
Oy! When I was hehhehhehing at Thomas he didnt have that bit about "communists" in his post yet!

nimhwhoisastridentanticommunist
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
Quote:
Almost all Europeans are communists

I can see you are an american at heart...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Walter joins nimhwhoisastridentanticommunist - what did I say: Bavarian.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
nimh wrote:
Oy! When I was hehhehhehing at Thomas he didnt have that bit about "communists" in his post yet!

nimhwhoisastridentanticommunist

Sorry about that. I hadn't seen that you'd already replied.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
's OK <grins>

<also at the others>
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Walter joins nimhwhoisastridentanticommunist - what did I say: Bavarian.

From Baden, actually -- I just moved to Munich because I liked the conductor of the Munich Philharmonic and because I thought the university there would be nice to study at -- in this order. I didn't move to Bavaria because I prefer its monarchy over Baden-Wuerttemberg's democracy -- which I don't.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:28 pm
Earlier I've written that you (just) live there.

I mean, being from Baden (-Würtemberg) ("'s gibt Badische und Unsymbadische"), you must be a libertarian - Catholics are born with the original sin, Badenser as libertarians.
0 Replies