"Survivor Amazon" -- Mars vs. Venus

husker

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 03:21 pm
sorry sozobe that's what they put on the suvivor site
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:56 pm
Didn't she say she had a hearing aid in one ear? She must not be completely deaf.

I would have voted Daniel out first- he seemed to be the one falling off the balance beam the most. He was the one who lied about catching fish at the challenge- and how come he brought a machete to the challenge?

I thought the first episode brought out the worst stereotypes in each gender. The men came off as a bunch of chest-beating testosterone-poisoned apes; and the women came off as directionless, whiney children. I think it will get better, though, as the worst stereotype-afflicted players get voted off.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:05 pm
No prob Husker. Again, it's definitely in use, but the weird part is that it's in use by the hearing people who are worried about offending deaf people rather than deaf people ourselves. Look at her job title, for example; "...for the Deaf", not "...for the Hearing-Impaired."

She's not completely deaf, no, but nobody is. If you've got a jawbone, you can pick up some vibrations. I wore hearing aids for a long time, even though I'm about as deaf as you can get -- they helped a tiny bit, but since I have a really good memory for sounds, they were more distracting than helpful overall. My understanding is that she has some residual hearing but relies on lipreading for communication (i.e. was totally out of the loop in the dark.)

Started to go into differences between hard-of-hearing, deaf, and Deaf, but I get into pedantic mode too easily, so will wait and see if there's any interest. Very Happy

Oh and I SO agree about Daniel. And stereotypes, too. (Boiling underwear? Puh-leeze...!)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:49 pm
hehehe..boiling underware and then sleeping on the ground..hello..priorities and oddities abound here folks Smile

I was pretty upset at that female gang as well for just walking off as if it didnt matter..when she so galantly brought up the issue and made it clear about her communication issues...then again, I would have been like..HELLO...wanna fill me in or do I not exist?? So, double edged sword on that one.

I was deaf as a child and slowly am regaining complete hearing, although reconsructive surgery when I was a wee one got me to 80% in one ear and 90% in the other, I find I still rely on observation a great deal. I recently found out that the ever present hole in one drum is finally healing over...only took 30 years..blah. But, it brought about some memories and reviewing the stuff I did...I was a pill I tell ya, I dont know how my mother did it. Nerve damage and preemie baby made childhood ear infections my worst enemy. However, I had learned to talk between episodes, and was very very good at reading lips, most adapt however was my vibration and air pressure sense...always could tell when someone entered a room, walked behind me, etc etc. I dont think I would have gone the hearing aid route either.

hearing impared Ive found can be related to...sight/visually impared...you know...blind. Rolling Eyes This PC crap makes ya nuts.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 08:50 pm
Tonight I thought they were gonna vote off Christy, I was thankful that they didnt, just a lack of communication issue really, and hopefully they can overcome this.

Next week looks interesting..what a date night??? Thats just strange.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 08:56 pm
Hey, I'm not really here, just um.... wanted to say Q, I keep forgeting all these fascinating details about you. You were deaf and had hearing restored to above my hearing level! No wonder we say what alot when we're together. Much less than I'd excpect, given the circumstances.

Ok, on with the silly survivor stuff (when's it on? What chanel?)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 08:58 pm
4, 8 oclock, Thursdays. <Just realized..I think you can actually watch it, cant you?>

yes, it is amazing...dang..keep forgetting to update Mom...how bad am I??

No wonder we have great conversations k...lol!!!!!!! Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:55 pm
What happened what happened what happened?

Committee meeting (all-Deaf -- we were all mad about timing) and hubby didn't tape it. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:58 pm
Aw! It was tonight!?! Durn. Yes, Cass, I get chanel 4, it's the only one I do get with any clarity.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:21 pm
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor6/index.shtml
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 07:44 am
I don't understand why the women aren't a bit more concerned about shelter. Krystie seems to be the only one who wants a roof over her head. And what's with the woman who doesn't want the immunity idol because it's, well, an idol, and she's a firm believer in the ten commandments.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:18 am
I saw the idol thing coming....its dang silly though...shes gonna make this interesting.
Yeah, why arent the women concerned about shelter? Wierd.
Who snuck in the food? I give them alot of credit for throwing it in the fire, Im just surprised someone did that.
I however am ashamed of their fishing skills, its just sad that they had those nice fish right there and they had great bait, and couldnt get them...its just sad. I think the guys would have had a feast.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:49 am
Geesh - I was so PO'd at the girls tribe, and feel bad for Christy. This is really some new territory for her to be on the show. Hope she can be strong. I was at a meeting lastnight so I missed the show, when I got home my MRS said I was going to be major PO'd when I watched the tape. Oh I was!!!

Remember I also have Christy in a Survivor pool.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:52 am
Help me out here wasn't Janet the one voted off - that got things a little stirred up with Christy and Joanna? If so she got what was coming!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:16 am
Can anyone give me more detail about what happened? I saw the synopsis -- Christy and Joanna fought 'cause Joanne was wigging out about the idol -- but can anyone tell me more about the fight? Did Christy hold her own, come off as whiny... what?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:16 am
Only saw bits of it last night (stupid telemarketers on the phone) and I got a bit of the black girl bawling out Christy for bad-mouthing her? I missed the bad-mouthing bit but I wanted to smash that black girls face in for being such a B. I would have clocked her right there for speaking to me like that! I also agree that the girls leave Christy out but this is SURVIVOR, it's a contest for a million dollars folks! Ain't no rules about making it easy for someone to win! If Christy has issues with the girls she is not shy about speaking up (good for her) but she came in with a disability and the others don't have to make exceptions for her - she's gotta get her nose in there and talk/ask questions and not allow them to fob her off with excuses or leave her behind.

I do agree with Equus, the men are doing the macho-shuffling-for-position thing and the women are just plain irritating right now. I hope this changes and things become more interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:20 am
I see what you're saying, Heeven, but at the same time I think it's in everyone's interest to work together at this point in the game -- build shelter, get food, win challenges -- and I think the other women are just making it that much more difficult for themselves if they are unrealistic about communicating with her. ('Specially since she seems to be the only one with a clue, outdoors-wise.)
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 09:35 am
Like I said, the women are irritating. I wanted her to yell at them when she was trying to build the shelter and they were all sitting around like slugs. I was delighted when it poured with rain and they were all miserable. At least the men had some sort of shelter going on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 10:44 am
Sozobe, The argument: I think it was Janet who filled in Crystie about the idol. Crystie remarked on how stupid that was, and Joanne heard her! Joanne came over to tell off C, who yelled right back at her. C ain't shy.

However, at the tribal council, I was disappointed when C said that she thought the problems she was having were the result of her being deaf. Yes, she's having communications problems because of that. But she's having other problems as well. For example, she was trying to get the women to participate in building a shelter. When they finally agreed to help, she said she wouldn't work on the shelter. She was going fishing instead. I thought that was a bad move and an unpolitic one.

Frankly, these women are an embarrassment to the sex. Stop washing your underwear and get a roof over your heads. Sheesh. IMO, if they don't get their act together, they won't be winning many more challenges. Unless Daniel has to get his ass across another balance beam.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 11:26 am
Roberta wrote:
For example, she was trying to get the women to participate in building a shelter. When they finally agreed to help, she said she wouldn't work on the shelter. She was going fishing instead. I thought that was a bad move and an unpolitic one.

Aw, phooey. Yeah, that wasn't smart of her. Sad

Thanks for the details, Roberta.
0 Replies