Marriage survival kit!

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 04:54 pm
A friend of mine is getting married - and one is supposed to bring a funny item for a "marriage survival kit" to be given to her at a party we are having for her...

Well, actually, it is a soiree - with a HARPIST!!!

(Driving the hostess nuts - cos she isn't used to holding elegant little soirees! Anyhoo...)

Now - I find myself stuck for ideas.

I actually have a visceral horror of marriage - so that freezes my invention a bit - and also, the bride wants things to be all tasteful and such - so, while it must be funny and witty (she is exctremely witty) it will be very distasteful to her if it is really vulgar - and I don't like smutty trash either.

So - ideas?????

Be free-flowing and silly - but some serious ideas amongst the fun would be great!!!!!

Anxious in Adelaide.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 29,010 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:15 pm
Talking Stick
The key to marriage survival is effective communication. Fighting is the thing that rips relationships to shreds. I suggest a "talking stick" (or safer yet, a "talking pillow.")

Perhaps engrave the rules for effective communication on the "talking stick" or embroider the rules on the "talking pillow." Or perhaps you could put together an instruction manual on effective communication and how to use the effective communication talking stick/pillow. The spouse holding the stick or pillow is allowed to talk (express his her feelings in a non-threatening manner) while the other must listen . . .

If you put together an "instruction manual," you could find several articles on "effective communication" to include in the manual. If the engaged couple would read the manual together, they will be miles ahead of other couples who are contemplating the walk down the aisle.

If you google "talking stick," you will find many websites concerning effective communication. Here's one:

Are you communicating?

Quote:
Excerpt:

"Many Native American tribes use a unique way of communicating. No, I'm not talking about sending smoke signals. I'm referring to the use of a Talking Stick. Only the person holding the Talking Stick is allowed to speak. This is very useful at a tribal "board" meeting because arguing is kept to a minimum then, and each person has one job to do - Listen - unless s/he has the Talking Stick. . . .

LISTEN, PAUSE, CLARIFY AND VALIDATE

OUR ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY is one of the most precious skills we can develop. Most of the time when we think of communicating well, we think of effectively expressing ourselves. This is certainly important, but listening is the single most important of all communication skills. It's what Stephen Covey calls "Seek first to understand and THEN to be understood."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:37 pm
A whole nutmeg.

Supposedly a marriage will flourish as long as there is an ungrated nutmeg in the house.

Two senses of humor would help, but this is not a gift you can bestow on the unendowed.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
A bullet to bite on?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:30 pm
Hmm - I think as a senior psychologist she might demur a bit at the stick - and the communication rules - but it was a cute idea!

Nutmeg ain't funny - is there a funnier spice?

Bullet - hmmmm - has possibilities!!!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:31 pm
(I'm thinking, but what I've come up with so far is way lame...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:36 pm
Lol! My problem in a nutshell!

Spit it out, though!!!!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:37 pm
A set of plush earplugs might be nice.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
marriage survival
Common question in relationships: "Honey, what's for dinner?"

Perhaps you can provide the bride--a professional working woman--with a fresh supply of take-home or delivery menus from every restaurant in town . . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:15 pm
Here's rosemary, that's for remembrance.

Of course Nutmeg isn't funny--its traditional.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:07 pm
His and Hers TV remote controls
0 Replies

Shay0810

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:20 pm
colorbook wrote:

His and hers houses?

I can't remember where I saw this, but how about a pillow that says "Tonite" on one side and "Not tonite" on the other. I saw a variation with "In the mood" and "I've got a headache" Okay, so these aren't the funniest suggestions, huh?

I can't really think of a thing that is funny about marriage...mine is definitely not, that's for sure. I think I am biased.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 12:13 am
How about two lovely leather chequebook covers. On hers will the the very elegantly scrolled word "Mine" and on his will be equally elegantly scrolled with the words "Mine too"?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:21 am
Swimpy wrote:
A set of plush earplugs might be nice.

Lol! Cute - but she is the talker....

he talks a lot too, actually - but she is like a machine gun...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:21 am
Re: marriage survival
Debra_Law wrote:
Common question in relationships: "Honey, what's for dinner?"

Perhaps you can provide the bride--a professional working woman--with a fresh supply of take-home or delivery menus from every restaurant in town . . . .

Lol - but he is the cook. And he is retired - and he loves it! The cooking, I mean - well, the retirement too....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:28 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Here's rosemary, that's for remembrance.

Of course Nutmeg isn't funny--its traditional.

Has to be funny.

Rosemary? I don't think Ophelia is a good look at this stage of the relationship....heeeheeeee......

http://persephone.cps.unizar.es/General/Gente/SPD/Pre-Raphaelites/Big/Ophelia.jpg

~Sings~
You must sing a-down a-down, An you call him a-down-a. O, how the wheel becomes it! It is the false steward, that stole his master's daughter.

Laertes This nothing's more than matter.

Ophelia There's rosemary, that's for remembrance; pray, love, remember: and there is pansies. that's for thoughts.

Laertes A document in madness, thoughts and remembrance fitted.

Ophelia There's fennel for you, and columbines: there's rue for you; and here's some for me: we may call it herb-grace o' Sundays: O you must wear your rue with a difference. There's a daisy: I would give you some violets, but they withered all when my father died: they say he made a good end,--
~Sings~ For bonny sweet Robin is all my joy.

Laertes Thought and affliction, passion, hell itself, She turns to favour and to prettiness.

Ophelia ~Sings~
And will he not come again?
And will he not come again?
No, no, he is dead: Go to thy death-bed:
He never will come again.
His beard was as white as snow,
All flaxen was his poll:
He is gone, he is gone,
And we cast away moan:
God ha' mercy on his soul!
And of all Christian souls, I pray God.
God be wi' ye.

Ophelia comes later....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:30 am
colorbook wrote:

Aagh! Expensive - this is a joke gift!!

Great idea though...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:31 am
Shay0810 wrote:
colorbook wrote:

His and hers houses?

I can't remember where I saw this, but how about a pillow that says "Tonite" on one side and "Not tonite" on the other. I saw a variation with "In the mood" and "I've got a headache" Okay, so these aren't the funniest suggestions, huh?

I can't really think of a thing that is funny about marriage...mine is definitely not, that's for sure. I think I am biased.

Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:32 am
Lady J wrote:
How about two lovely leather chequebook covers. On hers will the the very elegantly scrolled word "Mine" and on his will be equally elegantly scrolled with the words "Mine too"?

Hmmmm - money.......nah - each has their own

Very nice idea though.

SEE WHY IT IS HARD????
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 02:32 am
sounds like she's gonna get a basket ful of vibrators
0 Replies