What I can do to Reduce the Effect of Climate Change in the Future

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:24 am
@Frugal1,
That can't work unless The Trump suggests it. And then it will be Amazingly effective!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 07:29 am
One thing is enough among all. REDUCE your consumerism 10x fold...
Frugal1

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 07:31 am
Increase your consumerism 20x, it's the only way to ensure innovation.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 07:50 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
One thing is enough among all. REDUCE your consumerism 10x fold...

How would you deal with the increased unemployment pressure in that scenario? Literally followed, that would create chaos.

The cure must be less painful than the disease.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:31 am
Over 100 million trees in California have died from the draught. The state water control board is flushing fresh water down the river to save some fishes while farms and humans grapple with water shortage.
They've gone bonkers.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:47 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't think ordinary individuals can do much to reduce the amount of carbon they put into the atmosphere. Besides the obvious things like not burning your garbage and planting a tree now and then, we're kind of stuck in the system we live in. Individuals can't make big decisions like improving public transportation or redesigning cities to make them more walkable, or putting in solar farms. We can vote for these initiatives when they come up, but until they make economic sense, they're not going to happen.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:58 am
@TomTomBinks,
We can
make a difference by having fewer children. More sustainable population is key. However, I realize that's the elephant in the room no one will discuss.

Less people, less need for manufacturing, less unemployment.

Yeah it would suck slightly for some people who feel entitled. They can thank the people before them that were thoughtless and had to have every whim fulfilled.

Bottom line is some generation or 2 just has to suck it up.

Oh no! Somebody has to do something, just not us!
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 01:36 pm
@chai2,
I don't have any evidence, but I think the Earth can sustain it's present population and more without us destroying it if we're careful and thoughtful.
But we won't be careful and thoughtful. An individual might be, but a corporation or a government won't.
Conscientious people could have their power shut off, get rid of their cars and buy bicycles or horses and by doing so would suffer job loss and discomfort. Meanwhile the not-so-conscientious would continue living like they always did, the corporations would continue polluting and the effect on the amount of carbon in the atmosphere would be nil.
I think nothing will actually change until there is some real pain.

Quote:
Less people, less need for manufacturing, less unemployment.

That's a contradiction.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 04:29 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

That's a contradiction.

Or not.

If less mindless consumer stuff and the subsequent pollution/backlash isn't being produced, our time would be freed up to pursue other employment of a nature that isn't related to the cycle. More arts, including culinary, spirtual and relearning basic skills we used to use all the time.

If there wasn't so much the above stuff being produced, people wouldn't have to make as much money in the first place. Not as much need to work to pay endless credit card bills/loans etc for things that we are already bored of long before they are paid off.

People who have a child or two would be able to have one stay home, rather than pay sometimes the equivilent of college tuition to have someone take care of their own child, while they go out and work, and after all is said and done, coming home with maybe minimum wage or less. But they have to settle for that, as the bills just keep coming in.

In relationships that don't have children and all the expenses, one of them may not even have to work, and can pursue other worthwhile activities. They can trade off if they want.

Maybe not as many jobs, but not as many people needing jobs.

Quote:
I think the Earth can sustain it's present population and more without us destroying it if we're careful and thoughtful.

I think nothing will actually change until there is some real pain.

Now There's a contradiction for you!

In any event, I'm not anti-natal. In fact, the birth rate of developed countries are indeed going down. In regards to children, people are realizing more of something does not mean better. I see this trend continuing for awhile.

I agree that people will have to suffer real pain before the pendulum reverses direction. I believe every person who do have to go through that pain has every right to curse every person who has said "I have the RIGHT to (fill in the blank)"

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 06:25 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I believe every person who do have to go through that pain has every right to curse every person who has said "I have the RIGHT to (fill in the blank)"

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness?
gungasnake

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 06:45 pm
@RyanO45,

Quote:
What I can do to Reduce the Effect of Climate Change in the Future

Absolutely nothing; Try worrying about something you CAN affect...

Quote:
1. Is climate change something important to you or something you care about?
NO.

Quote:
2. What is the main cause of climate change in your opinion? How would you reduce the main cause?

Fluctuations in the output of our sun caused either by variations in the power of the dark-mode Birkeland current which powers it or by moving through regions of space with varying electrical charge.

Quote:
3. What do you think will happen in the future?

We appear to be headed into a new little ice age.

Quote:
4. What would you do to reduce the effect of climate change? How would you get people involved?

Start building thorium reactors to produce electricity immediately. Make some sort of a meaningful attempt at fusion energy. Start developing new farming techniques particularly large-scale aquaponics. Eliminate political roadblocks to new ideas...

Quote:
5. Is this a topic people should be aware of?

Yes.

chai2

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 07:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
...and yet those "rights" are taken from people every day.

Plus, it says the pursuit, not obtaining.

If you truly need to pursue distruction of your planet, at the expense of future people, taking away their life and liberty, how happy can you really ever be?

And the people who will curse those who caused this because they just had to have their disposible items, have the right to do so.

Those who carelessly throw that LL&PofH around don't understand those things aren't free. Or, if they do understand it, don't care if it's others that have to pay the price.

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:14 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
If less mindless consumer stuff and the subsequent pollution/backlash isn't being produced, our time would be freed up to pursue other employment of a nature that isn't related to the cycle. More arts, including culinary, spirtual and relearning basic skills we used to use all the time.

If there wasn't so much the above stuff being produced, people wouldn't have to make as much money in the first place. Not as much need to work to pay endless credit card bills/loans etc for things that we are already bored of long before they are paid off.

People who have a child or two would be able to have one stay home, rather than pay sometimes the equivilent of college tuition to have someone take care of their own child, while they go out and work, and after all is said and done, coming home with maybe minimum wage or less. But they have to settle for that, as the bills just keep coming in.

In relationships that don't have children and all the expenses, one of them may not even have to work, and can pursue other worthwhile activities. They can trade off if they want.

That would be great. How do we do it? How do you convince hundreds of millions, no, billions of people to live more meaningful lives by not buying mindless consumer crap? You would think that a more fulfilling life would be it's own reward, but it's not. This is how people are.
TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 11:17 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Fluctuations in the output of our sun caused either by variations in the power of the dark-mode Birkeland current which powers it or by moving through regions of space with varying electrical charge.

What have you been smoking?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:19 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.

Did big mean ossobuco offer some insight and urge you think before you write? Well thats just terrible, and Im glad you had it moderated, because now the rest of us won't feel like little pissy pants for reporting some of the other posters who are way meaner than her. Actually, OB is not mean, but thank you for giving the rest of us permission to be smarmy tattletales. Did you previously post as Hawkeye? He was a massive crybaby.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 12:50 am
I live in Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland 7 minutes from the Chesapeake Bay and 90 minutes from the Atlantic. This area is a network of water ways, rivers, streams. Traffic can be a nightmare because routing roadways away from the water makes for traffic snafu's. So, here I am with access to all the wonderful beaches and bridges I enjoyed when I was a kid, but the waterways are so polluted the warnings are issued everyday about the safety of the water. Many days, its not safe for animals or people. Run off from developments, farms and sewage have made the water toxic.

I do worry about global warming, but we can't seem to get anyone interested in cleaning up our water. Im hoping my State will prioritize clean water, and hopefully we will do our bit to reduce pollution and any negatives that endanger the planet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:06 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Fluctuations in the output of our sun caused either by variations in the power of the dark-mode Birkeland current
We are trapped by our previous posts in fora uch as these. Youve always (in the past) argued for the ""electric universe" but have enied the magnetohydrodynamical basis of earths magnetic field. NOW, it appears that you are slowly "coming round" by applying Birkeland currents to your "bag of tricks".

Does this men tht you accept the earth as dynamo?
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:37 am
GW/CC is a HOAX, and anyone that believes humans can alter the global temperature is an idiot.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:50 am
Broken down and rusting, is this the future of Britain's 'wind rush'?

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 09:38 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Those who carelessly throw that LL&PofH around don't understand those things aren't free.

Didn't say they were free. But that does not mean they are not Rights.

And I'll give a big FU to anyone who "curses" me for defending my Right to Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness.