The U.N. Gun Ban Treaty - Gun Owners Beware

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
cjhsa wrote:
but guns and hunting are a big issue in the U.S. election this year. Why do you think ol' John-boy went out and whacked a goose with a borrowed shotgun?

I for one was not fooled by his act. I still know Kerry hates the Second Amendment.

Of course, I only vote for the candidates that are endorsed by the NRA in any case.

cjhsa wrote:
So as a gun owner I fear Kerry and the U.N.

That treaty that IANSA is pushing is a problem.

It would ban civilian ownership of rifles, pistols and revolvers, in every country that is a party to it.

Kerry wouldn't hesitate to sign it. It is hard to tell what the Senate would do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:28 pm
oralloy wrote:
I like the Switzerland model, as their militiamen keeping automatic rifles at home are exactly the sort of thing that was envisioned when the Second Amendment was written.

I'm glad to find again someone, who liks the "Swiss model".

So you are one of those, who are

- pro draft,
- private guns only allowed durcing military (reserve) services.

Nothing against that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:57 pm
Those statement, like yours, only prove again that you have no idea about what is going outside the USA:

- it seems, you bever heard of the Swiss Firearms Control Law (last alteration: June 20, 1997 - SR No. 514.54 - Federal Law about Weapons, Weapon Attachments and Amunition ['Weapon Law" WG])

- it seems, you don't know that the Swiss army is a militia army, and soldiers and officers keep their personal weapons (traditionally) only at home, because they use them during their regular annual service of two or three weeks per year. (With a special admission, they can use them after the left the army in order to continue practicing at rifle or pistol ranges managed by local communities.)

The rules rules governing hunting and sporting rifles are similar to those in other Eurpean countries.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:33 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I like the Switzerland model, as their militiamen keeping automatic rifles at home are exactly the sort of thing that was envisioned when the Second Amendment was written.

I'm glad to find again someone, who liks the "Swiss model".

So you are one of those, who are

- pro draft,
- private guns only allowed durcing military (reserve) services.

Nothing against that.

I am not pro draft.

But I *am* aware that Switzerland does not even come close to restricting private guns to only military uses.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 01:45 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Those statement, like yours, only prove again that you have no idea about what is going outside the USA:

- it seems, you bever heard of the Swiss Firearms Control Law (last alteration: June 20, 1997 - SR No. 514.54 - Federal Law about Weapons, Weapon Attachments and Amunition ['Weapon Law" WG])

- it seems, you don't know that the Swiss army is a militia army, and soldiers and officers keep their personal weapons (traditionally) only at home, because they use them during their regular annual service of two or three weeks per year. (With a special admission, they can use them after the left the army in order to continue practicing at rifle or pistol ranges managed by local communities.)

The rules rules governing hunting and sporting rifles are similar to those in other Eurpean countries.

My statement that I like the Swiss system is hardly proof of any ignorance.

If you'd like to make an argument, you might do better to address the issue instead of making wild accusations of ignorance.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 02:02 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(With a special admission, they can use them after the left the army in order to continue practicing at rifle or pistol ranges managed by local communities.)

By the way, if you knew Swiss gun laws as well as I do, you would have mentioned that the automatic rifles are rendered semi-auto-only if they keep the gun after leaving the militia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:56 am
oralloy wrote:

By the way, if you knew Swiss gun laws as well as I do, you would have mentioned that the automatic rifles are rendered semi-auto-only if they keep the gun after leaving the militia.

I didn't know that you studied Swiss (Public) Law, too. Sorry.

oralloy wrote:
But I *am* aware that Switzerland does not even come close to restricting private guns to only military uses.

Well, I've only the 2004 copies (= 2003 issues) of the Swiss laws to look at.
And their website* doesn't mention any changes until the date of today.
* there printed in copy, as you certainly will notice :wink:
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I didn't know that you studied Swiss (Public) Law, too. Sorry.

That's OK. No problem.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Well, I've only the 2004 copies (= 2003 issues) of the Swiss laws to look at.
And their website* doesn't mention any changes until the date of today.
* there printed in copy, as you certainly will notice :wink:

That is actually the set of regulations that go along with implementing the law.

The actual law is here:

http://www.gesetze.ch/inh/inhsub514.54.htm

Article 10 in the gun law:

http://www.gesetze.ch/sr/514.54/514.54_002.htm

Combined with article 14 in the gun regulations:

http://www.gesetze.ch/sr/514.541/514.541_003.htm

Seems to be saying that you don't even need a background check in Switzerland in order to get a double barreled shotgun or bolt-action rifle.

Article 8 in the gun law seems to be a reasonable background check for the purchase of other weapons.

And in the list of weapons you can't get (article 4 and 5 of the gun law), I don't see pump shotguns, lever-action rifles, or semi-auto hunting shotguns/rifles prohibited.

I didn't see anywhere that those guns would be limited to military/reserve use only. That restriction seems to only apply to the automatic rifles held by the militiamen.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 11:10 pm
Certainly you are correct.

But for all other weapons (as defined in the law), you must obtain a "Waffenerwerbsschein" ('permit to purchase'), which is exactly the same as in other European countries, like e.g. the UK, Germany ...
0 Replies

gpastonmartinlover

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:57 pm
Some Thoughts
I am an avid gun nut, just believe me. But at the same time, I'm realistic. There is NO place in the civilian (excluding ex-law enforcement) world for Uzis, Tec-9's, Mac-11s, Skorpions, ect. If you need a weapon that powerful for home defense, either A. you are paranoid and shouldn't own a pellet gun, B. A criminal with a bunch of enemies and that's your fault or C. You are elegible for a Class III permit, which would allow you to keep an MP5A5 9mmX19 fully automatic submachinegun in your home loaded with Hornady TAP law enforcement ammo. Civilians don't need armor piercing bullets, silencers, 75 round mags ect. The problem is, if you ban assault weapons, hi cap mags, people who really want to get them will still get them. And when the go to that black market dealer, they'll also pick up some grenades, body armor, and who know what else. I'd rather the psycho bought a semiauto AR-15 and a 30rd bannana mag loaded with nosler BTs than going to a black market dealer and getting a silenced AR-180, grenades, a machine pistol, striker shotgun loaded with armor piercing slugs, and interceptor body armor. The first guy would kill a lot fewer people before the cops took him out. The cops would have a much harder time with the second. But if the guy wants to kill a bunch of people, he is going to do it some way, and believe it or not, if he buys his weapons legally, he'll wind up with less killing power.

Some guns should never be sold, but banning them will never stop the psychos, it just might make it worse. So ban, but use discretion. And don't ever screw over the people who go through 3 years of backround checks for a class III permit.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:23 pm
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:
You are calling for mass murder.

Hardly. I am calling for a military strike against foreigners who apply pressure on us to violate our civil rights.

Hold on, hold on, back up the truck.

As examples of "foreigners who apply pressure on us to violate our civil rights" you have mentioned IANSA, "the one pushing this gun-ban treaty" and Rebecca Peters, its Chief Executive, who "is pushing to have us adopt a treaty that would violate our rights".

What do these people do? To quote cjhsa, they "bring world attention on the humantarian impact of these weapons". Eg, they do a publicity campaign, might organise a petition, will debate with politicians to see if they can be persuaded. They talk. And you consider that reason enough for a military strike against them? Are you out of your mind?

Your Congressmen and President will have the final say. They have the right to tell Rebecca no, if they dont agree. You have the right to try to convince them to say "no", just like some fellow-countrymen of yours will be trying to convince them to say "yes". In any case all the IANSA can do, too, is talk - debate, campaign, lobby - try to persuade people.

That's what democracy is: people trying to convince each other, and when the vote comes, those who have convinced most people get their way. Rebecca Peters and her colleagues don't do anything different from what the NRA honchos do - organise supporters, persuade politicians. In the end it'll always be up to the voters and the officials they elect, cause thats how democracy works.

And to you this sinister enough to want to, what, shoot them? Bomb them? What would this "military strike" be like? A sniper aiming for Ms. Peters' head?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:27 pm
Seemingly not - wants to get the whole lot of 'em, it seems. Why I said "mass murder".

It is funny - because I am sure Oralloy sees no problem in Americans presuring people re their domestic policies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:16 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Certainly you are correct.

But for all other weapons (as defined in the law), you must obtain a "Waffenerwerbsschein" ('permit to purchase'), which is exactly the same as in other European countries, like e.g. the UK, Germany ...

It seems like a reasonable permit, only screening for people who are not allowed to have guns, and not requiring anyone to "show a need". It is much like the background checks in the US too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:26 am
Re: Some Thoughts
gpastonmartinlover wrote:
But at the same time, I'm realistic. There is NO place in the civilian (excluding ex-law enforcement) world for Uzis, Tec-9's, Mac-11s, Skorpions, ect.

This is incorrect. Many civilians enjoy such guns for target shooting/collecting. Maybe also for self-defense.

If you need a weapon that powerful for home defense, either A. you are

What does "need" have to do with anything?

C. You are elegible for a Class III permit, which would allow you to keep an MP5A5 9mmX19 fully automatic submachinegun in your home

A Class III Special Occupational Taxpayer would be a dealer of such guns.

To keep one in your home you would only need to have it registered on a Form 4.

This link does a good job of explaining US laws on such guns:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

Civilians don't need armor piercing bullets, silencers, 75 round mags ect.

They may not "need" them, but they certainly have legitimate use for them, particularly armor-piercing rifle bullets, which are beneficial for self-defense if you face a home invasion team wearing heavy armor.

The problem is, if you ban assault weapons, hi cap mags, people who really want to get them will still get them. And when the go to that black market dealer, they'll also pick up some grenades, body armor, and who know what else. I'd rather the psycho bought a semiauto AR-15 and a 30rd bannana mag loaded with nosler BTs than going to a black market dealer and getting a silenced AR-180, grenades, a machine pistol, striker shotgun loaded with armor piercing slugs, and interceptor body armor. The first guy would kill a lot fewer people before the cops took him out. The cops would have a much harder time with the second. But if the guy wants to kill a bunch of people, he is going to do it some way, and believe it or not, if he buys his weapons legally, he'll wind up with less killing power.

Some guns should never be sold, but banning them will never stop the psychos, it just might make it worse. So ban, but use discretion. And don't ever screw over the people who go through 3 years of backround checks for a class III permit.

Armor-piercing shotgun slugs???

(Not disagreeing with your overall point there.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:52 am
nimh wrote:
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:
You are calling for mass murder.

Hardly. I am calling for a military strike against foreigners who apply pressure on us to violate our civil rights.

Hold on, hold on, back up the truck.

As examples of "foreigners who apply pressure on us to violate our civil rights" you have mentioned IANSA, "the one pushing this gun-ban treaty" and Rebecca Peters, its Chief Executive, who "is pushing to have us adopt a treaty that would violate our rights".

What do these people do? To quote cjhsa, they "bring world attention on the humantarian impact of these weapons". Eg, they do a publicity campaign, might organise a petition, will debate with politicians to see if they can be persuaded. They talk. And you consider that reason enough for a military strike against them?

Yes. They are trying to "talk" people into banning our guns.

nimh wrote:
Your Congressmen and President will have the final say. They have the right to tell Rebecca no, if they dont agree. You have the right to try to convince them to say "no", just like some fellow-countrymen of yours will be trying to convince them to say "yes". In any case all the IANSA can do, too, is talk - debate, campaign, lobby - try to persuade people.

That's what democracy is: people trying to convince each other, and when the vote comes, those who have convinced most people get their way. Rebecca Peters and her colleagues don't do anything different from what the NRA honchos do - organise supporters, persuade politicians. In the end it'll always be up to the voters and the officials they elect, cause thats how democracy works.

In America, there is also the issue of the Constitution, which is supposed to supersede the will of the voters/politicians unless they can pass a constitutional amendment.

And even if we satisfied the Constitutional requirements by setting up something like the Swiss militia, it is outrageous that anyone would try to ban other self-defense guns and restrict hunting guns to those who "show a need".

nimh wrote:
And to you this sinister enough to want to, what, shoot them? Bomb them? What would this "military strike" be like? A sniper aiming for Ms. Peters' head?

I hadn't really thought about it. Just tell the Pentagon to get rid of them and let the generals work out the details.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:23 am
oralloy wrote:
They may not "need" them, but they certainly have legitimate use for them, particularly armor-piercing rifle bullets, which are beneficial for self-defense if you face a home invasion team wearing heavy armor.

And what exactly would one need to have done in America to get to face a "home invasion team wearing heavy armor"? What scenario are you preparing for here?

Quote:
I hadn't really thought about it. Just tell the Pentagon to get rid of them and let the generals work out the details.

So, does that work the other way round too? I mean, if some American NGO or government official tries to talk yer Bulgarian or Zimbabwean politician into implementing something that a Bulgarian or Zimbabwean of your mindset would consider a violation of their constitution, would he have the right to shoot this American official?

State Department diplomat expresses the US's dissatisfaction with the Zimbabwean elections, tells Mugabe to change the law so as to give the opposition a fair chance - does that give Zimbabwe the right to kill Powell in a military strike? After all, he was trying to "talk" Mugabe into changing the country's laws?

Or does the right only apply outwards, from America to other countries trying to interfere?
0 Replies

Greedo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:36 am
Australia introduced tighter gun laws - restrictions on semi-automatics, getting tough on permits, extended cooling off periods etc - after the Port Arthur massacre as has been mentioned.

There are strong arguments either way here for and against the laws and plenty of times the point of not being able to stop the crims getting their hands on the guns has been made. Our police are armed and they have shot quite a few people since the laws were introduced, mostly out of control guys armed with knives etc.

I do feel good about the laws. About the amount of firearms handed in here during the amnesty following the introduction of the laws in 1996 and the mountains of guns that were destroyed during that time. Anything that can cut down the amount of weapons circulation in the community can only be positive in my opinion.

I have never understood the theory about feeling 'safer' via the stockpiling of weapons. The - 'if they come for me I'll be able to protect myself' arguement. Who is going to come for you and why do you assume they are going to be coming in shooting?

It seems this reasoning is only legitimate in a culture of fear, where the freedom to bear arms crosses into the grey area of the need to bear arms. I look at the American situation and I see a history of fear mongering and government mistrust that has led to the most paranoid state of mind, all predicated on the excuse of a sacred 'right' that has become untouchable even though it undermines the freedoms it supposedly supports. How free are you when you must build your own private barricades and arm yourself to the teeth?

If this sounds naieve to you, please know that I grew up shooting rabbits, I have handled and shot all kinds of handguns and rifles and enjoy shooting - I have friends who are collectors and policemen/army reservists and they all have strong opinions on the issue.

I just do not swallow the arguement that because someone in another age far removed from mine helped put together a law that in context was a necessity, I should two hundred years later, in a far different time be able to point to that law and demand to own something so obviously designed to take a life.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:10 am
nimh wrote:
oralloy wrote:

And what exactly would one need to have done in America to get to face a "home invasion team wearing heavy armor"? What scenario are you preparing for here?

Me personally? I'm not preparing for any self-defense scenarios. But some people are attacked by home invasion teams, and some people choose to be prepared just in case.

I am not sure what one needs to do to be targeted by such criminals. I'd guess they would just have to be prosperous enough to make it seem worthwhile to rob them.

nimh wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So, does that work the other way round too? I mean, if some American NGO or government official tries to talk yer Bulgarian or Zimbabwean politician into implementing something that a Bulgarian or Zimbabwean of your mindset would consider a violation of their constitution, would he have the right to shoot this American official?

He would have the right to advocate that his government take such an action.

nimh wrote:
State Department diplomat expresses the US's dissatisfaction with the Zimbabwean elections, tells Mugabe to change the law so as to give the opposition a fair chance - does that give Zimbabwe the right to kill Powell in a military strike? After all, he was trying to "talk" Mugabe into changing the country's laws?

Or does the right only apply outwards, from America to other countries trying to interfere?

I am not sure this is so much a "right" as just something that governments "do".

I would not be surprised if they tried such a thing, but I'm sure we take precautions that would prevent them from succeeding.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 05:33 am
Greedo wrote:
There are strong arguments either way here for and against the laws

What would be an argument for the laws?

Greedo wrote:
I do feel good about the laws.

Personally, I was horrified at the thought of all those people who were forced to give up guns against their will.

Greedo wrote:
I have never understood the theory about feeling 'safer' via the stockpiling of weapons. The - 'if they come for me I'll be able to protect myself' arguement. Who is going to come for you and why do you assume they are going to be coming in shooting?

I'd guess the argument refers to defending against the random criminal.

Criminals do not have to come in shooting for the gun to be a useful defense. Note your statement about police shooting guys with knives.

Greedo wrote:
It seems this reasoning is only legitimate in a culture of fear, where the freedom to bear arms crosses into the grey area of the need to bear arms.

Not really. It holds wherever there are criminals that could be defended against, and there is also freedom to have arms.

With the freedom to have them, some people freely choose to have them in case a criminal targets them.

Greedo wrote:
I look at the American situation and I see a history of fear mongering and government mistrust that has led to the most paranoid state of mind, all predicated on the excuse of a sacred 'right' that has become untouchable even though it undermines the freedoms it supposedly supports. How free are you when you must build your own private barricades and arm yourself to the teeth?

I do not see how the right to have arms undermines any freedoms.

Greedo wrote:
I just do not swallow the arguement that because someone in another age far removed from mine helped put together a law that in context was a necessity, I should two hundred years later, in a far different time be able to point to that law and demand to own something so obviously designed to take a life.

This freedom was not a necessity when the right was created in English common law 400 years ago, or when the right was put into the Constitution 200 years ago.

The keeping of militia arms was a necessity back when the Assize of Arms was passed some 800 years ago, but at that time it was not a right.

And unless someone actually repeals the right out of the Constitution, it has legal force.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
Guns in the hands of law abiding citizens is no problem, never has been.

Notice how many Aussies are on this site? Notice how they all submit to their government? "Guns are bad" they all say. It's called indoctrination.
0 Replies