The U.N. Gun Ban Treaty - Gun Owners Beware

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:16 pm
You certainly know that the way offences are defined and collated vary from the UK to the USA - we Europeans include a couple more :wink:

[Home Office figures show the murder rate in the US in 1998 was 6.3 per 100,000 people compared with 1.4 per 100,000 in England and Wales.
But as noted above: perhaps single England data may make a difference.]
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:21 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Personally, I think the US should conduct military strikes against any foreign body that tries to coerce us into violating our Constitutional rights, and I'm willing to include the UN in that.

Welcome to A2K, oralloy.

Interesting statement.

Does this mean, you recomment a civil war as well against those US-citzens, who oppose private gun ownership?

And how, do you think, would a war against the UK - your strongest ally in Iraq - be thought of?

No desire for civil war, but I would like to see some sort of criminal prosecution for anti-gun politicians.

I'd hope that the UK would not try to coerce us into violating our rights. My guess is that the pressure will only come from UN-NGOs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:25 pm
oralloy wrote:
I'd hope that the UK would not try to coerce us into violating our rights. My guess is that the pressure will only come from UN-NGOs.

Yes, UNICEF are the worst Shocked . And of course the Labour Party in the UK.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:19 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Don't know about Canada, but in England the violent crime rate is triple that of the US.

The only published data for England are those by the British Crime Survey (BCS). Besides that I couldn't find any seperated figures only for England (they are for England and Wales, as far as I know), I couldn't furthermore find statistics, which affirm your above statement.

Coul you please give me a link to your figures?

OK, I have the figures. I didn't use the British Crime Survey for the UK, but "police recorded crime", because that is a better equivalent to the FBI figures.

The FBI has 494.6 violent crimes per 100,000 in 2002:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/html/web/offreported/02-nviolent02.html

The UK has 211 violent crimes per 10,000 people in 2003-2004.

The document is only on PDF so far as I can tell. It is available here:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/crimeew0304.html

I got the figure from page 82 of the document. It was page 93 of the PDF file though (page 38 if you only get the chapters 4-6 section).

Adjusting to compare both per 100,000 people, that would make it "2,110 violent crimes per 100,000" vs "494.6 violent crimes per 100,000".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:22 am
That's exactly what I meant:

"police recorde crime" means ...
Quote:
Police record crimes according to the dictates of the Home Office Counting Rules, and these then provide a measure of all crimes reported to (and recorded by) them.
:wink:

That really is a better equivalent to the FBI figures? These data include, if someone just calls the police and thinks that there has been someone vandalizing, includes every minor delict as well!

"violent crime" means ....
Quote:
Violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yes. Her attempt to violate our Constitutional rights is sinister.

Could you verify this a bit?

How she can ... in legal terms, and by practical means.

The threat is the treaty that she pushes. I don't think Kerry would hesitate to sign it.

Then it is a matter of ratification in the Senate, and her organization would ally themselves with US anti-gun groups to pressure the Senate to ratify. Given the way anti-gun groups demagog the issue and get people to mindlessly rally to ban guns that they don't even understand, there is a possibility that they could succeed in getting the ban ratified.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:31 am
But you said that she was attempting to violate Constitutional Rights.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:37 am
cjhsa wrote:
"Twelve days after 35 people were shot dead by a single gunman in Tasmania, Australia's state and federal governments agreed to enact wide-ranging new gun control laws to curb firearm-related death and injury."

Typical knee jerk reaction. Government, please save us from ourselves! I've said it before, I'm saying it again. You have lost a right. Forever. And you don't care. I'm not willing to allow that kind of thinking to take over here in the U.S.

I'm going to say this once more and then I'm going to leave the issue forever. Guns HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED IN AUSTRALIA. There were restrictions placed on the type of weapons available, and greater scrutiny of the need for said weapons. I'm acquainted with several people who own and use firearms on a regular basis.
But you're never going to allow anything remotely resembling the facts to interfere with your view of the world, so I suspect I've just wasted as much time as anyone else who has ever tried to promote the truth in your presence.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:41 am
re crime in the UK

From today's
Guardian:
Quote:
Alcohol-fuelled violence, "low-level thuggery" and better reporting levels were blamed yesterday for an 11% rise in violent crime recorded by the police between April and June.
The rise masked a continuing fall in crime overall - by 5% on police figures and by 7% on the more authoritative British Crime Survey which were both published by the Home Office yesterday.

The biggest falls were in domestic burglaries - down 23% on police figures, car crime which has fallen 18% and robberies down 15%.

The drive against gun crime is to be intensified in the wake of annual figures showing firearms offences continuing to rise by 3% to 10,590 in the 12 months to June 2004.

However, the number of people killed as a result of shootings fell from 82 to 70 over the same period. The fall may be linked to a 10% drop in the number of incidents involving a handgun and a 35% rise in the number involving a replica or imitation weapon.

Home Office statisticians said that changes in the way the police record violent crime meant much of what is recorded, such as common assault, amounted to actions such as pushing and shoving, and involves little or no physical injury.

The police recorded 303,000 violent incidents out of 1,447,400 offences between April and June this year.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:46 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That's exactly what I meant:

"police recorde crime" means ...
Quote:
Police record crimes according to the dictates of the Home Office Counting Rules, and these then provide a measure of all crimes reported to (and recorded by) them.
:wink:

That really is a better equivalent to the FBI figures? These data include, if someone just calls the police and thinks that there has been someone vandalizing, includes every minor delict as well!

I think the vandalizing would be included in property crime, not violent crime.

They are comparable because both are based on police records. Crime victim surveys tend to be less restrictive in what they consider to be a crime, and thus produce much higher figures of reported crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yes, UNICEF are the worst Shocked . And of course the Labour Party in the UK.

I don't know that the Labor Party is a threat, or UNICEF.

But there are other UN-NGOs, like the one pushing this gun-ban treaty: IANSA.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 12:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But you said that she was attempting to violate Constitutional Rights.

Yes. She is pushing to have us adopt a treaty that would violate our rights. It matters little to me that she would not be one of the actual government officials who would decide to adopt the treaty.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:05 am
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:
There seems to be something about just debating the issues that is scary to gun folk.

Is it not a normal practice in a democratic country to debate the rights and wrongs of all manner of things?

Seems people here do not see anything sinister in gun debate - and a UN involvement in such.

When the debate is about whether to violate our civil rights, it tends to be cause for concern for those who value those rights.

Personally, I think the US should conduct military strikes against any foreign body that tries to coerce us into violating our Constitutional rights, and I'm willing to include the UN in that.

One is perfectly comfortable to rest one's case here, Your Honour.

Gun nuts should NEVER be permitted to make policy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:06 am
Wilso wrote:
I'm going to say this once more and then I'm going to leave the issue forever. Guns HAVE NOT BEEN BANNED IN AUSTRALIA. There were restrictions placed on the type of weapons available, and greater scrutiny of the need for said weapons. I'm acquainted with several people who own and use firearms on a regular basis.
But you're never going to allow anything remotely resembling the facts to interfere with your view of the world, so I suspect I've just wasted as much time as anyone else who has ever tried to promote the truth in your presence.

Many (most?) TYPES of guns were banned.

And people are only allowed to have the remaining types if they can show a need (and self-defense doesn't count as a need), meaning many people will not be able to get them.

That is a ban, even if there are a few token people there who are allowed to have token guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:13 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
re crime in the UK

From today's
Guardian:
Quote:
However, the number of people killed as a result of shootings fell from 82 to 70 over the same period. The fall may be linked to a 10% drop in the number of incidents involving a handgun and a 35% rise in the number involving a replica or imitation weapon.

But how about the number of people killed total?

If the lower number of gun deaths is offset by a higher number of non-gun deaths, then nothing has been achieved by violating (or repealing) people's rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:15 am
dlowan wrote:

Bigoted name calling is a poor substitute for a reasoned argument.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:25 am
oralloy wrote:
Wilso wrote:

And people are only allowed to have the remaining types if they can show a need (and self-defense doesn't count as a need), meaning many people will not be able to get them.

That is a ban, even if there are a few token people there who are allowed to have token guns.

Crap.

Demonstrate your ignorant drivel.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:30 am
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Bigoted name calling is a poor substitute for a reasoned argument.

I respond but in kind.

You are calling for mass murder.

Show me an example of reasoned argument from you, and I will respond in kind...

Waiting....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:34 am
dlowan wrote:
Crap.

Just found this recent article in the NROThe British Gun Closet

Quote:
Overall, Britain now suffers from a higher violent crime rate than the U.S., and has reverted to its medieval status of being substantially more dangerous than most of the European continent. (Continental gun laws are generally more repressive than in the U.S., but more liberal than in England.)

That is purest nonsense as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 01:38 am
dlowan wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Crap.

Do you deny that Australia banned many types of guns?

Do you deny that Australia requires people to show a need before they can get one of the remaining types?

Do you deny that Australia does not consider self defense to be a valid reason when they require people to show a need?

Maybe you should research their gun laws before you attempt to talk about them?
0 Replies