Wife or Cohabitant?

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:09 pm
Kristie wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
There is an old wive's tale that says if a man gives you white roses, he will be unfaithful.

What if you don't get roses at all? What do other flowers mean?

Flowers of all shapes and varieties have symbolism attached to them, and different cultures have quite different views about what they mean. If you get no roses at all, that may be a problem. My take, and I'm using a literary reference here, so bear with me, a man who really loves a woman should bring them blue roses. These days, you can find them. When Tennessee Williams wrote The Glass Menagerie, you could not, and one had to resort to fine speech instead, a lost art these days.

This is really tailored to brides, and a bit simplistic, but a good primer: http://www.weddingbokay.com/symbolism.html They did not mention orchids. Those are generally associated with death. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:19 pm
When I do get roses, they are red but...I've also gotten various bouquets before as well. Just curious.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:20 pm
I once got yellow roses...sniff
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 04:11 am
From my understanding red roses are symbols for love, white for pureness, yellow for peace. Or at least I think.
0 Replies