Wife or Cohabitant?

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:04 pm
Here's a passage I find very interesting.

There are two women in every man's life. One is the destined to be your wife, and one is to be your cohabitant.

The wife is like a white rose, with delicate smells, not strong, but could go a long way. She is pure, and will be behind you all the time. You feel comfortable with her, although with the lack of compassion.

The cohabitant is a red rose. She is flaming the whole time, wild, gives you extreme feelings, don't care about details - in more common words, sex & drugs. You feel wild just as she does when you are with her, but not security.

Now it's time to choose. If you choose the white rose, the red rose will leave you, and no other red roses will ever appear in front of you. If you choose the red rose, the white rose will depart silently, and will not come back no matter how hard you try, for the rest of your life.

So... Red, or White? Wife, or Cohabitant?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,285 • Replies: 43
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:07 pm
I have managed to hold both roses in my hand and although I'm a bit tired it's been very worthwhile.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:08 pm
Seems rather limiting for the woman. Can she choose to be a striped rose? Or a pink one perhaps?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
good point mac
Rosslyn, what is the equivalent for a woman?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:14 pm
Where did this passage come from? A cave?

Come on...modern women can be both. Classy, elegant woman on his arm; wild, scorching whore in his bed. Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:16 pm
Kristie! So glad you're not pissed off anymore.
You forgot to add: hanging him upside down and cutting his cojones off.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:18 pm
No no this isn't about what a woman is like. This is about how a man should choose. However a woman can be a "pink" rose it must lean onto one of the colours. I personally don't think you can be perfectly balanced. And even if you can it's rare.

Holding both isn't an option. Think of it not as a test or game but as in life. You don't love them, but just a woman to spend the rest of your life with.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
panzade wrote:
Kristie! So glad you're not pissed off anymore.
You forgot to add: hanging him upside down and cutting his cojones off.

Laughing

no, I just find it somewhat offensive that this passage lumps women into sterotypical roles. I would even be able to begin to place myself in one "rose" role. When he needs support, he gets support. When he needs a compassionate, loving womanly type, he gets that. When he wants some hot lovin' or getting drunk and acting like we're 21 again, he sure gets that too! :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:20 pm
What Kristie is saying is that a man doesn't have to choose when he is happy with a white rose that becomes a red rose when the lights dim...I think it's what she's saying
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:21 pm
Rosslyn wrote:
You don't love them, but just a woman to spend the rest of your life with.

Why would you spend your life with someone you don't love? That's stupid and makes for a misrable life.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
panzade wrote:
What Kristie is saying is that a man doesn't have to choose when he is happy with a white rose that becomes a red rose when the lights dim...I think it's what she's saying

Sort of.....more that a man should choose a wife that can be everything he wants. Why marry her otherwise????
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Kristie wrote:

Laughing

no, I just find it somewhat offensive that this passage lumps women into sterotypical roles. I would even be able to begin to place myself in one "rose" role. When he needs support, he gets support. When he needs a compassionate, loving womanly type, he gets that. When he wants some hot lovin' or getting drunk and acting like we're 21 again, he sure gets that too! :wink:

Sorry I mean no offence. I'm a woman too you know. And Kristie that's all very good wish but just IMAGINE you are a man and haven't got a woman like you and you gotta choose between these two. they are the last two woman left on earth if you wanna think that way.
0 Replies

panzade

Let's clear something up here...because it might be important. Rosslyn, where do you live?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:23 pm
YOU didn't offend me rosslyn. The passage just seemed a little dated to me. And it isn't a wish....that is my life. I am married and my husband doesn't have to look elsewhere to get anything he needs. I wasn't wishing life could be that way. It is.

And panzade, you make an excellent point.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:26 pm
To Panzade

I live in U.K. You are probably thinking of some Asian place eh? I'm not the woman who stereotype myself, too. pink rose is what man wants, isn't it?

The passage didn't end there anyway... the end is the interesting bit. But maybe it''ll just offend you more......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:29 pm
What is being discussed here is commonly known as the "madonna-whore complex".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=madonna-whore+complex

Quote:
A man with a madonna-whore complex is a man who will sleep with and lust for a sexual and beautiful woman but he will never respect her as "wife" material and he will never marry her. In his eyes, she is tainted, impure, unworthy of the status of wife---yet he may possess passionate and contradictory feelings for her. He may even be in love with her but will never allow himself to be with her in any real sense.
He will look for a "good girl" to marry---usually a woman who is cold sexually but, for example, is good at "wifely" domestic things: cooking, cleaning, homemaking in general, etc. A proper, pure "madonna" type woman who will bear his children.

Men who have this complex are sexually immature. Many think in terms of black and white- a woman is either a "good girl", and wife material, or a "bad girl", and sexually exciting.

The mature male has integrated these two aspects of womanhood, so that he can both respect and lust for the same person.

In earlier times, our culture promoted this sort of dichotomy. Although the sexual revolution and feminism has changed attitudes somewhat, there are still men who think in terms of these opposites.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:30 pm
Perhaps offend was a bad word. I am always up for a hot debate. And the passage is what it is. Please feel free to post whatever you want.

Also, typing words versus saying them makes a difference in what you say and what you mean. When I asked where this was from, I guess it was more a joke than a jab.

I'm not angry or anything. Even if you want to believe that the passage is true. It is your right and your responsibilty to stand up for what you believe.

Please, post the rest if you'd like. I just hate to be generalized, don't you? It is bad enough that women are objectified everyday, make less money than men but work just as hard and still have to do most of the housework in most of the homes in America (notice I didn't say all :wink: ). We don't need o be limiting their personalities now do we?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:32 pm
Phoenix32890, You make a great point.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:33 pm
Rosslyn, I think you might be living in the UK but you were born in Hong Kong or mainland...thanks for bringing up this interesting discussion.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Agree totally. Woman's been looked down to for the past god-knows-how-many-years and these generalisations still exists these days......

the end of the passage is......

If you chose the white rose, later in life it will become a sticky blob of flour, and the red rose is still a red mole (?) on your heart;

if you chose the red rose, later in life it will become a splast of mosquito blood on the wall and the white rose is still the pure moon hanging on the sky.

So basically you'll never gonna be satisfied. :S

And the whole pink rose thing........ I dunno....... it that really you? do you wanna be the pink rose just because you love him or are you a born pink rose?
0 Replies