[Classic] Your Views On Life After Death

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:17 am
If I ever let my interactions with those who disagree with me become rancorous, I will be the diminished one. To any I have offended, no harm intended. I just don't enjoy seeing you misleading yourself so.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
A fine little debate, mano a mano and tete a tete. The stuff that makes A2K so worthwhile.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:03 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I am your pal to the end, Frank. I will always look forward to your posts.

Good. And I look forward to yours.

Quote:
I just won't let your mistakes become mine.

Hummm...so my saying that I do not know the true nature of REALITY is a mistake...and your insistence that you do, is not.

Hummmm. (agains)

I would suggest you spend no more time worrying that you might make my mistakes yours...and more time dealing with the fact that you are making your mistakes...your mistakes.

All said with a big wink, of course. :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:05 am
There are areas in which my cognitions have erred. Not so in a discussion like this.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:15 am
edgarblythe wrote:
There are areas in which my cognitions have erred. Not so in a discussion like this.

Interesting you should think that.

I would have guessed the exact opposite.

This, it seems to me, is precisely the area where I see you way off base.

But that's the way it is with all people who suppose they know what the REALITY is.

I'm having a doozy in another thread with Asherman, JL, and Twyvel.

They all KNOW there is no soul...and that the world is an illusion...but they also KNOW that we keep coming back after death in some way.

And I've had, as you know, several real barnburners with theists who, like you, think they know the REALITY.

Ahhh, if only all you people who KNOW what REALITY is could get your stories coordinated...it would make for much less farce.

I'll stick with "I do not know."

Really...there is nothing wrong with the truth, Edgar.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 03:32 pm
The truth? Seems people can't handle it. Theists know there is god and afterlife, some folks know there is transmigration, even Frank is willing to entertain many of these fallacies, even if to say, "I don't know." You can know, Frank, by letting go the compulsion to overcompensate, to be overly fair. You can't be fair to delusion and get at the truth. I know many of the people you interact with have more knowledge than I and sharper minds, but they are flat out wrong to accept deism, souls reincarnation, etc. I know that should humankind survive so long, these concepts will eventually drop by the wayside as people realize they represent dead ends of mental and social activity. All contingent on the race being prepared to move upward, evolutionally speaking.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:27 am
Hmm. I still agree with Frank---we don't know---AND with Egdar---there is no afterlife---although, in my case, I must add IN MY OPINION.

The evidence, to me, points to no other conclusion; but, considered objectively, the evidence does not constitute evidence at all.

A hypothetical case: one theory explains the workings of the internal combustion engine, invoking only natural principles. A second theory acknowledges the APPEARANCE of natural law, BUT asserts that it only works because invisible, undetectable spirits are secretly doing the work.

I CHOOSE to believe theory #1 is sufficient, and feel comfortable asserting it is true, and the invisible spirits proposed by theory #2 are imaginary.

But I can't prove it.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:34 am
Consider this: IF there was an omnipotent God, who knew everything, and had created the universe, He would still be unable to disprove the existence of a God greater than Himself. He could know everything there is to know, but He couldn't KNOW He knows everything; He might have been created by a being or beings who existed in a dimension which He could not detect, and who had given Him omnipotence (or a belief in His own omnipotence) in the lesser realm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
Will it go round in circles
Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky
Will it go round in circles
Will it fly high like a bird up in the sky
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:42 am
edgarblythe wrote:
The truth? Seems people can't handle it. Theists know there is god and afterlife, some folks know there is transmigration, even Frank is willing to entertain many of these fallacies, even if to say, "I don't know." You can know, Frank, by letting go the compulsion to overcompensate, to be overly fair. You can't be fair to delusion and get at the truth. I know many of the people you interact with have more knowledge than I and sharper minds, but they are flat out wrong to accept deism, souls reincarnation, etc. I know that should humankind survive so long, these concepts will eventually drop by the wayside as people realize they represent dead ends of mental and social activity. All contingent on the race being prepared to move upward, evolutionally speaking.

I don't know the nature of Ultimate REALITY...therefore, I cannot categorically say there is no God...nor can I say there are no gods.

I suspect you are in the same position, Edgar...but, like the theists with their defense of their beliefs...you are insisting that it makes more sense and is more ethical to pretend that you know there are no gods...and to consider that to be the "truth"...and to suggest that I, with my acknowledgement of "I do not know" am somehow in a one down position relative to yours.

Edgar...normally you make lots of sense...and I appreciate hearing your views on many things. But on this one issue YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:50 am
Frank, you made a typographical error. Where you meant to say "YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT WRONG", hollering in jubilation, as the truth has set you free, you left out the word NOT.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:43 am
Re: [Classic] Your Views On Life After Death
Rosslyn wrote:
Personally I believe in Karma, (i'm not buddhist by the way) and that your consciousness goes into another body after u die. Don't believe in heaven or wings + harps or eating philodophia. What about you guys?

As the supply of bodies increases (over 6 billion people living today), where do the additional consciousnesses needed to occupy them come from?

Given all of the studies that have shown that damage to certain areas of the brain impairs consciousness, why do you believe that consciousness can exist independently after the brain dies? What form do you think that consciousness takes when it is not being produced by a living brain? If you think that it is an energy pattern, what keeps it organized and why can't we detect it?

And what is "philodophia"?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 11:44 am
a cream cheese spread popular on bagels
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Frank, you made a typographical error. Where you meant to say "YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT WRONG", hollering in jubilation, as the truth has set you free, you left out the word NOT.

Nope...I meant exactly what I said.

It is rather sad to watch you insist that you know what the REALITY is.

Anyone listening into this discussion has to realize that whenever someone like you INSISTS there are no gods....or whenever someone like you INSISTS there is a God...

...that person is just shooting off his/her mouth.

Now...apparently you cannot stop. You just intend to insist you know stuff it is obvious you don't. And like I said...that is rather sad to watch.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:56 pm
It is much more than sad to see the great bulk of humanity get sucked into sucker issues like these. It is dangerous to the long range outlook for humanity.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:08 pm
Philodopia is a cheese spread just like panzade said. It's just this ad that keeps popping up on UK tely...

Frank, er, are you by any chance a Matrix enthusiast? I know when I watched the Matrix it changed my idea of the world. Unknown. That's what makes life worth living. You are only living for the next few minutes........
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
Plus I want the last word.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
Re: [Classic] Your Views On Life After Death
Terry wrote:

As the supply of bodies increases (over 6 billion people living today), where do the additional consciousnesses needed to occupy them come from?

Given all of the studies that have shown that damage to certain areas of the brain impairs consciousness, why do you believe that consciousness can exist independently after the brain dies? What form do you think that consciousness takes when it is not being produced by a living brain? If you think that it is an energy pattern, what keeps it organized and why can't we detect it?

I cannot answer the first question you have. Then again, most religious theories have their own flaws that cannot be answered.

I'm not saying that the consciousness keeps organised after you die... I'm not even sure what the actual Buddhism saying is. Even if it does, human tech can't detect it that's perfectly reasonable. We haven't the advanced tech yet. It's like you cannot describe how DNA works to a Victorian guy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:38 pm
Rosslyn wrote:
Philodopia is a cheese spread just like panzade said. It's just this ad that keeps popping up on UK tely...

Frank, er, are you by any chance a Matrix enthusiast? I know when I watched the Matrix it changed my idea of the world. Unknown. That's what makes life worth living. You are only living for the next few minutes........

I enjoyed the movie "The Matrix" very much.

I'm an agnostic.

I have no idea of what is going on here.

I am mystified by my own existence...and when I think that rocks and trees also exist...I am in awe.

Truly...this "living"...is an unusual experience.

To pat myself on the back...I go out of my way to enjoy the experience as much as absolutely possible...and I am succeeding. In another thread recently, when asked to suppose what heaven is like...I said that I thought this might be Heaven....or Hell, for those who choose that.

But I do not know.

Some people pretend they know.

You really gotta feel sorry enough for those kind to give them the last word...and then just chuckle about it. :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 05:17 pm
Thank you, Frank.
0 Replies