[Classic] Your Views On Life After Death

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:05 am
Guesses that a car going ninety miles per hour into a brick wall will be destroyed are comparable to guesses that there is no afterlife, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:07 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Guesses that a car going ninety miles per hour into a brick wall will be destroyed are comparable to guesses that there is no afterlife, Frank.

Only to someone in love with his guess that there is no afterlife, Edgar!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:14 am
Sure, we can nourish the fantasy of life after death til we drop. It's still a concept people invented, like Santa Claus.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:16 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Sure, we can nourish the fantasy of life after death til we drop. It's still a concept people invented, like Santa Claus.

That is an interesting guess, Edgar...and I will certainly factor it in among the guesses others have.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:17 am
Not a guess, Frank.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:29 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Not a guess, Frank.

Not in the mind of someone so in love with his guesses that he refuses to see guesses for what they are.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:32 am
I guess I might have an opportunity to meet Frank in NYC on OCt 20th, if I ever hear from frank before I leave Albaturkey in a few days.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:37 am
dyslexia wrote:
I guess I might have an opportunity to meet Frank in NYC on OCt 20th, if I ever hear from frank before I leave Albaturkey in a few days.

I'm guessing you are gonna tell me what time...and where to meet you...and we will meet.

I hope it will be after 6:00 pm...so Joe Nation can join us.

Send me an email: [email protected].
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:46 am
People are in love with inventing concepts to guess and speculate over. About as useful as watering rocks in hopes they'll grow.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:51 am
edgarblythe wrote:
People are in love with inventing concepts to guess and speculate over. About as useful as watering rocks in hopes they'll grow.

Exactly...which is why I suggest in the areas where there really is no evidence...we should pretty much stick with "I do not know."

If person "A" guesses one thing about the nature of reality, though...and then person "E" guesses in the other direction...

...all we have are competing guesses.

And that truthfully is about as useful as watering rocks in hopes they'll grow.

That has been my point all along.

Glad it finally got through.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:55 am
It can't be "I don't know" when the very concept is imaginary.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It can't be "I don't know" when the very concept is imaginary.

Only in the mind of someone so in love with his guesses...that he cannot see clearly nor think logically.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:23 am
What's illogical about dismissing childish fantasies instead of constructing elaborate what if discussions about it?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:29 am
Frank, your avatar is starting to look like Dr. Spock
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What's illogical about dismissing childish fantasies instead of constructing elaborate what if discussions about it?

Nothing.

What is illogical is suggesting that something is "childish fantasy" when you have no more evidence that it is fantasy than the others have that it is truth!

Give up on this Edgar.

Anyway you slice this baloney...it ain't ever gonna be prosuitto.

Every indication is that the thesits...whatever their variety...have absolutely no real idea about what the Ultimate REALITY is of existence.

Every indication is that atheists like you don't either.

The bottom line is that theists and atheists alike are guessing about the nature of REALITY....and including or eliminating whatever concepts they want on the basis of their unsubstantiated guesses.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
Well, and this is my final attempt, trying to make the argument that "I can't know" simply because somebody says I can't is the height of absurdity. I know because it is a made up concept, a snatching at mirages. I refuse to be drawn in by choruses of "You are guessing" and "I know it's so because somebody has almost experienced it." Somebody has got to take a stand for reality if humankind is to progress any farther.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:04 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Well, and this is my final attempt, trying to make the argument that "I can't know" simply because somebody says I can't is the height of absurdity.

Well...the plain and simple fact is, Edgar, YOU CANNOT KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS.

I cannot make that same statement about theists...because if there happens to be a GOD...at some point, that GOD, if It chose to do so, could communicate information to humans about Its existence.

(I don't think that has ever happened...but it could...if there is a GOD...which is something that I do not know...and suspect no one else does either.)

Quote:
I know because it is a made up concept, a snatching at mirages.

You are insisting that you know despite the fact that you are obviously guessing...and I suspect that is because you are guessing it is a made up concept...a snatching at mirages.

Quote:
I refuse to be drawn in by choruses of "You are guessing" and "I know it's so because somebody has almost experienced it."

Yes...you are hard-headed and obstinate in your belief system. We are, thankfully, at least in agreement on that.

Quote:
Somebody has got to take a stand for reality if humankind is to progress any farther.

That is what I am doing, Edgar.

Since you realize how important that is, why don't you join me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:09 am
I invite you to come over to the side of the atheists. Why fight any longer. You know you want to.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:12 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I invite you to come over to the side of the atheists. Why fight any longer. You know you want to.

Why take a step down into a belief system...when the truth is with me now.

I do not know if there is a God or not...and it is becoming very evident that both...

a) you don't either, and

b) you are no more able to concede that you do not know than any of the Christians with whom I debate.

You are still one of my favorite posters anyway, Edgar.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

f.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
I am your pal to the end, Frank. I will always look forward to your posts. I just won't let your mistakes become mine.
0 Replies