@hightor,
Wow. Great link. Thank you.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
hightor

Sat 20 May, 2017 06:48 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
That the Democrats were persecuting Nixon for things that they were doing themselves is no myth...

Correct. It is not a "myth"; it is a misconception.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 20 May, 2017 06:54 am
I'm seldom a fan of Erick Erickson but here I think he probably gets it right.
Quote:
A Republican reckoning is on the horizon. Voters are increasingly dissatisfied with a Republican Party unable to govern. And congressional Republicans increasingly find themselves in an impossible position: If they support the president, many Americans will believe they are neglecting their duty to hold him accountable. But if they do their duty, Trump’s core supporters will attack them as betrayers — and then run primary candidates against them.

Through it all, voter dissatisfaction has been growing. Trump’s core might stand with him, as he claimed, even if he killed someone in the middle of the street. But would those 70,000 voters who put him in the White House? As the president acts more irrationally and his Twitter rantings become more unhinged, will he draw more people to himself and his party than he will repel? I suspect not.
WP
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 May, 2017 08:12 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
That avenue of investigation was added in recent weeks after assertions by former FBI Director James Comey that President Donald Trump had tried to dissuade him from pressing an investigation into the actions of Trump's first national security adviser, retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, members of Congress said, though it was not clear whom that part of the probe might target.

Did I miss something?

Has Comey testified to congress or made a statement to a reporter that Trump tried to dissuade him from pressing the Flynn investigation?

Stories on this matter have been rapid fire and they all tend to blend into one another, but my understanding is that the "assertion" came from an unnamed source who is either familiar with the matter or a former associate of Comey.

There's a big difference between the assertion coming from Comey and an anonymous source.
giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 09:08 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

He said the Trump people had no contact with Russian officials. He was flagrantly WRONG.

He was flagrantly wrong Gracie?

You need a dictionary if you are going to use adverbs
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 09:24 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

jcboy wrote:

I read a new report saying Trumps campaign had at least 18 undisclosed contacts with Russia. This is bullshit. If this is proven true and unconstitutional, rather than him getting impeached and the bigot Pence becomes president, the entire campaign should be forfeited and the presidency should go to Hillary! Not to mention the 3 MILLION more Americans that voted for her, but I know, her emails. Razz

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkcxeJCPgz0[/youtube]

Isn't it ******* amazing that you don't see this **** ever reported in the liberal cheese head press...and then you wonder why the majority of the public don't trust the press.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 20 May, 2017 09:27 am
@Olivier5,
Because just like the lying cheese head you are you can't come up with any evidence to show the election was illegal other than you saying it is.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 10:57 am
There's a kinda interesting video at this site where the left-wing Harvard law professor, Dershowitz explains why he thinks a special prosecutor could help Trump.

Quote:
Although many on the left have expressed their approval of Robert Mueller being appointed as special counsel to investigate possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, Alan Dershowitz thinks Mueller could actually vindicate President Donald Trump, rather than bring about his downfall.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/19/alan-dershowitz-questions-russia-special-counsel-says-theres-no-crime
Lash

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

blatham wrote:
There's some good history to attend to here. Not least myth #3 because you'll bump into variants of this dodge presently. It is a dodge in that it refuses to acknowledge or even think about differences, thus allowing some favored individual or party to be excuse of any wrong-doing
Quote:
Watergate was politics as usual. Nixon just got caught.

As I recall, JFK and LBJ had the actual FBI investigating their political opponents, including Martin Luther King.

That the Democrats were persecuting Nixon for things that they were doing themselves is no myth, no mater how badly liberals would like to whitewash their dishonorable history.

This truth needs to be supported. You are correct, of course.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:20 am
One of the most cheese-eatiniest things I've seen lately, eh? Cheese-eaters from the executive and judical branches acting in concert to coddle a criminal like a kid with a cute little teddy bear.

Quote:
Colorado governor pardons felon to stave off deportation

The pardon from Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, was the latest twist in the saga of Rene Lima-Marin, 38....[His legal residency] was revoked following his 2000 criminal conviction. Lima-Marin was sentenced to 98 years in prison for the robbery. But he was mistakenly paroled from Colorado state prison in 2008.

State authorities realized their mistake in 2014 and sent him back for the remainder of his 98-year prison sentence.

A Colorado judge earlier this week ordered Lima-Marin released from state prison, saying it would be "draconian" to keep him incarcerated. But before he could return to his family, immigration authorities picked him up, citing a still-active deportation order from 2000.

His lawyers said a pardon was his only chance to stave off deportation. It's unclear whether the governor's action will be enough to stop Lima-Marin's deportation. Carl Rusnok, a spokesman for ICE, indicated that Hickenlooper's pardon would not be enough to stop the deportation

"Rene Michael Lima Marin currently has final orders of removal from a federal immigration judge," he said in a statement. Hans Meyer, Lima-Marin's lawyer, said he'd file motions to vacate that order

District Attorney George Brauchler, whose office prosecuted Lima-Marin, said Hickenlooper did not give prosecutors time to review the pardon application as required by state law.

"The hasty decision to ignore state law was made seemingly to skirt federal law, and that is not an appropriate use of the governor's pardon power," said Brauchler, who is running for governor.

They will try ANYTHING to keep a criminal in this country and on the streets, eh?

revelette1

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:22 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Has Comey testified to congress or made a statement to a reporter that Trump tried to dissuade him from pressing the Flynn investigation?

Stories on this matter have been rapid fire and they all tend to blend into one another, but my understanding is that the "assertion" came from an unnamed source who is either familiar with the matter or a former associate of Comey.

There's a big difference between the assertion coming from Comey and an anonymous source.

Comey made the assertion if the memos are authentic. Pretty sure they will be because the memos would easy enough to disprove simply by asking Comey which they will do as he is coming to testify in an open hearing.
revelette1

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:46 am
Quote:
Embattled Trump starts foreign tour with Saudi arms deal

The White House announced a huge arms deal with Saudi Arabia on Saturday as President Donald Trump took his first steps on the world stage, looking to leave mounting troubles behind at home.

The $110 billion deal for Saudi purchases of US defence equipment and services came at the start of an eight-day foreign tour that will also take Trump to Jerusalem, the Vatican and meetings with leaders in Europe.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said deals worth in excess of $380 billion were signed during Trump's visit.

"That was a tremendous day. Tremendous investments in the United States," Trump said at talks with Saudi King Salman.

"Hundreds of billions of dollars of investments into the United States and jobs, jobs, jobs."

The US president was given a warm welcome in the oil-rich kingdom -- a mood in sharp contrast to Washington where pressure is building after fresh claims over his team's alleged links to Moscow.

AFP
Below viewing threshold (view)
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:55 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
If the memos are authentic

Precisely, and unless I missed something else, the guy who reported the story never saw any memo and was only read an excerpt from one.

Now this doesn't mean that the memos don't exist or that they don't contain what the source is claiming they contain, but, clearly, an article that reports Comey has asserted anything concerning the alleged content of the alleged memo is not accurate and not good journalism.

It wouldn't have been difficult to add "It has been alleged by a NYT source that Comey asserted..." or even "It is being said that Comey asserted...," but the way this was written, it implies that it is a matter of fact that Comey asserted something which is not something the NYT reporter or this reporter knows to be the case.

I have something of a problem with the original story relying on an unnamed source who didn't even produce the alleged memo, but essentially told the reporter something to the effect of "Trust me, I'm sitting here on the phone with you and I am reading to you from a memo in my hand, that I know without a shadow of a doubt was written by James Comey."

The NYT reporter may know and trust the source, but to my knowledge there was no second source confirming the memo and it's contents. I'm pretty sure the second reporter didn't know who the original source is and there is nothing about his finding a second source to confirm the memo's existence and content.

Even if one doesn't accept that the NYT story is sketchy journalism that reporter, unlike the second one, didn't write "James Comey asserted.."

This is, in my opinion, no small thing. When I read it I did think that maybe I had missed something and Comey had (since the NYT story) confirmed the existence and content of the memo, but that is not the case. The memo and its content are no more certain now than they were when the Times ran the story, but the second reporter has written a story that indicates that it is. That is shoddy journalism and should not be dismissed because anyone believes it will at some future date, be proven that the memo exists and it's content is what was reported.

If reporters don't want to be accused of bias (let alone shoddy reporting) then they should take greater care in avoiding very preventable errors like this one or not write with a political bias.

By beginning with a portfolio of unconfirmed allegations from single unnamed sources, the MSM is constructing a narrative that Trump and his staff have colluded with the Russians and Trump has been trying to block any investigation of the matter. This is suspect enough, but if each time the stories are retold by other outlets, certain key points about the nature of the information upon which the narrative is based are deleted or obscured, an impression is being created that the narrative is more authoritative than it actually is and therefore more likely to be true.

If such a thing happens unintentionally that there's a lot of lousy journalism out there but if it is by design, whether an individual's or a group's, it is unconscionable and the reason why the MSM is not trusted and in many cases, despised.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 11:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Good post, Finn. I agree, and I think the points you make are presented in a dispassionate manner.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 20 May, 2017 12:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Be that as it may, more than likely, Comey will be asked about the memos, he will answer. My bet, they are real, but we will see.
layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 12:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It is very routine (and inevitable) that, when it comes to flimsy allegations against Trump, what is reported by the MSM as an "allegation" today, will be treated by them tomorrow as an indisputable, proven fact. And, even beyond that, they will (subtly or otherwise) change the content of the actual allegation in a manner that advances the narrative they want to create.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 20 May, 2017 12:43 pm
Man, talk about Islamophobia, eh!? Trump just dissed them BIGTIME. He pissed all over them. He should be barred from entering any muslim country:

Quote:
Trump shakes hands with Saudi leader, doesn't bow as Obama

President Trump upon arriving in Saudi Arabia on Saturday did not bow to the Gulf leader as former President Barack Obama appeared to do -- a move interpreted as American weakness. Videos show Obama bending at the waist toward the king. Obama critics said the former president suggested several times in 2009, just after getting elected, that the United States owed the Arab world an apology.

I try to help out around this here joint. I made this post to save some cheese-eater the trouble. More grounds for impeachment, ya know?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 May, 2017 12:47 pm
@revelette1,
And that may be, but it's too bad that you won't bother to recognize what is more likely a result of journalistic bias than incompetence when the people who debate in this forum have fairly firm opinions on the matter.

I could be wrong and if so, my apologies, but I seem to recall that you have, in the past, disputed allegations of a liberal bias in the MSM, but here is it, right in front of you and you seem to want to ignore it.