monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 09:23 am
@McGentrix,
Obama probably didn't because the GOP bitterly resisted any healthcare benefits at all. Don't you remejmber the last eight years? And if Trump should do it, do you think that somehow makes up for a health care pland that will kick 24 million people off healthcare abd make everybody pay much, much mofre for it? Lock him up.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 15 May, 2017 10:43 am
You know during the campaign I don't know how many times I heard about Trump being a showman, he doesn't mean what he says, now Wallace says he is just trolling when hinted of having taped conversations of Comey and himself. I no longer believe it if I ever did. Granted he is illogical, impulsive and erratic, but there is a method to his madness. He has now created a self beneficial Presidential Commission on Election Integrity. It is pure hogwash headed by Mike Pence and Kris Kobach designed to back up his statements and in the process undermine voters. Trump just can't get over the fact he lost the popular vote and is determined to manufacture evidence to show otherwise.

0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:04 am
@giujohn,
blow it out yer fat ass. Your use of "appeasement" probably comes from a life of writing traffic tickets. Ever get shot at by someone trained?
farmerman

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:09 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If Iran was going to nuke the UK, the UK would have every right to launch such an attack
stop being purposely obtuse. If you dont get the analogy , ask someone who understands
Quote:
No. I prefer to see the US and our allies protected as much as is possible from nuclear attack
Wht scares me i if Trump has a one dimensional thought pattern as yours.

We will never agree to your "nuke em" crap.

ANY idea how many lives would be lost ?

Ps "T rex" is Rex Tillerson , one of a few folks in the qmdin who thinks like an adult.
blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 11:55 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Obama was just President of those same United States. Why didn't he just take care of that? Why don't liberal business owners offer paid maternity leave (Are their liberal business owners in the US?)? Why does something like that need to a Republicans/conservatives judgement?

Oh, and by the way... Trump may finally bring paid parental leave to America this year

Quote:
Republicans say they want to jettison the maternity coverage requirement, which is part of the ACA's list of 10 "essential" benefits. It's a valuable benefit, and removing it outright won't be easy since it would take complicated maneuvering in the Senate to do so. It remains intact in the bill moving through Congress, but that is due to budget rules, not because Republicans want to keep it.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/13/news/economy/maternity-obamacare-gop/

Quote:
And as Robert Costa and Sean Sullivan delicately put it in a Washington Post write-up of Trump’s child-care agenda, “conservative Republicans, in particular, have long seen a mandated expansion of the social safety net as anathema to their attempts to shrink government spending and give companies more control over their leave policies.”

So it should come as no surprise that conservatives have been quick to denounce Trump for embracing what looks like a big-government spending plan.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/09/donald_trump_s_family_leave_plan_and_the_gop_s_ideological_civil_war.html

Quote:
GOP hardliners demand maternity benefits be nixed from healthcare bill
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/24/republican-healthcare-bill-maternity-benefits-affordable-care-act
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:17 pm
American conservativism is so healthy, so sane, so responsbile

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_4uM8rXsAUixeT.jpg:large
giujohn

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:33 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

blow it out yer fat ass. Your use of "appeasement" probably comes from a life of writing traffic tickets. Ever get shot at by someone trained?

Ah...personal attacks from the tolerant cheeseheads. How typically left of you.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:33 pm
Jesus! That was close. I was just trimming our ceder hedge and almost decapitated Sean Spicer. Whew.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If it works out to a "first strike" , lets think about fully arming the S Koreaqns with NIKE ZEUS's and let THEM decide.
Your(and gooey's) light thinking will lead to WWIII as a definite possibility. However if we fully arm both sides and send them info about MAD, maybe they will come to respect each other a bit more. The new SK president thinks more like me than you.
I think thats the key to this all.

Yeah...let's leave our security to a newly elected liberal SK president...good idea cheese head.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:45 pm
@blatham,
Did you read the article?

There's nothing unhealthy, insane or irresponsible about it.
blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:51 pm
Will. Not. Go. Over. Well.
Quote:
The hosts of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” said on Monday that the White House counselor Kellyanne Conway complained extensively about President Trump in private conversations with them before he was elected.

Mika Brzezinski said during Monday’s broadcast that she heard Ms. Conway denounce the candidate in private after promoting him on television.

“She would get off the air, the camera would be turned off, the microphone would be taken off, and she would say ‘Blech, I need to take a shower,’ because she disliked her candidate so much,” Ms. Brzezinski said of Ms. Conway.

Joe Scarborough, Ms. Brzezinski’s co-host and fiancé, echoed the statements, saying that Ms. Conway said after being interviewed that she had only taken the job for money and that she would soon be done defending Mr. Trump.

“ ‘But first I have to take a shower, because it feels so dirty to be saying what I’m saying,’ ” Ms. Brzezinski added, mocking what the hosts said was Ms. Conway’s attitude at the time. “I guess she’s just used to it now.”
NYT

So, Conway grasps to some degree that her behavior is morally and intellectually equivalent to wading through the **** in a sewer.

But the money is really good, so she'll do it.

MontereyJack

Mon 15 May, 2017 12:57 pm
New NBC WSJ Poll. 78 percent of Americans think there should be aspecial prosecutotor for Trump andRussia probe and 15percent do not.
Mitch
mcconnell, donald trump and GungalsnaKKKe don't. Alre we a bation by the people for the people or a nation by Donald Trump for Donald Trump?
blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 01:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There's nothing unhealthy, insane or irresponsible about it.

In the land of rightwing mythology, he's Hollywood done right - manly, square-jawed, a flag-waving patriot with muscles who, by strength of will, his absolute certainty re right and wrong, and through the god-like strength of character can single-handedly best the most evil and organized forces endangering liberty, picket fences and tail-gate parties. Guns and physical intimidation are good (really good). Self-reflection and self-doubt are bad (very bad). You could put this dude up against two dozen scientists and another three dozen artists along with thirty philosophers and dude would make mincemeat out of all of them in seconds - audience cheering cheering cheering.

And if he does ever run, you'll vote for him. You'd vote for him even if he was a serial liar who has bragged about assaulting women and who knows absolutely **** all about anything related to governance, world affairs or US history.
farmerman

Mon 15 May, 2017 01:48 pm
@oralloy,
Your entire attitude is "**** S Korea and **** Japan while were at it" Im glad that Trump is being distanced by a growing number of his "colleagues " in the Senate
blatham

Mon 15 May, 2017 01:55 pm
Here's a really excellent interview with Jay Rosen (9 min) on media and the Trump era. Attend to the point made at about 8:30 - the breathless coverage of WH intrigue isn't very important because it does not delve into the policies being considered or put into place and under which Americans will live. And it doesn't address what is really going on...
Quote:
which is an attempt to break off part of the public and keep it within an information loop that the mainstream media doesn't even enter

http://www.wnyc.org/story/why-normal-news-language-unfit-trump/?hootPostID=e7db4f94d0641592efc94e12d8607c3a
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 15 May, 2017 02:01 pm
@farmerman,
FM wrote:
The new SK president thinks more like me than you (oralloy).
I think thats the key to this all.

Thinking like you is the key to peace in the region?

We have to get you leading the UN!

Seriously though, this isn't exactly a localized squabble that if not worked out by the two Koreas, won't have much of an impact on the US or it's allies.

You've criticized others for light thinking and then propose fully arming both sides and sending them a Powerpoint slide show on MAD. I can imagine some stoner remarking how heavy such an idea is but I don't think that's much of an endorsement.

I just read in the Washington Post that some "experts" are saying that based on the latest test NK's ability to develop a means to deliver a nuke to our shores could be only one year away rather than the previously considered five. Even if such a projection is well off (which they seem to often be), NK can currently reach South Korea and Japan with nukes.

We have strong ties to SK and even stronger ones to Japan. Japan has been, essentially, demilitarized for over 70 years. The taming of Imperial Japan has long been a major factor in the economic and political development of the region, and while a large number of Japanese citizens have, for quite some time, had no interest in a re-militarized Land of the Rising Sun, I'm very sure their aversion to the idea is nothing compared to that of billions of other Asians.

The primary reason for the tight control of Japanese militarization is not the will of the Japanese people, but the promise of the US that the island nation doesn't need a full throated military (which everyone has to admit they could have had if they chose to at some point to change directions) because it has the US military to protect it.

I'm not predicting NK will attack Japan, but if it did, unless a US president wanted to go down in history as one of the most perfidious betrayers of all time, and simultaneously assure that bushido will sweep through the island like a firestorm and quickly lead to a people with the capacity and reason to strike back with nukes, we would have to respond as if we had been attacked.

I'm also not, at this time, calling for US strikes (of any kind) against NK, but the idea of withdrawing from the conflict and letting the two Koreas sort things out is irresponsible. Fully arming both sides is simply ridiculous.

Without doubt we need to consult with and listen very closely to the desires of the people most threatened by a powerful nation that is as close to one being led by a madman as I've ever seen, but I suspect that they have less faith in MAD reigning in Kim than you do.
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 15 May, 2017 02:18 pm
@blatham,
Sounds like you didn't read it or didn't understand it.

There was no call for him to run for president (or any other office). The author very pointedly makes the case that his value to the nation is as a unifying cultural figure who promotes ideas like hard work and respect. Personally I think the sentiment is a bit overblown, but hardly insane, unhealthy or irresponsible as you clearly think.

Quote:
The Rock is one of the few culturally unifying figures in American life, and he’s a culturally unifying figure with a message of gratitude and hard work that also happens to be culturally edifying. If he moves into the naturally polarizing world of politics, where he’ll have to take positions on issues great and small, will he be forsaking a larger unifying role for the lesser polarizing path of public policy? At the risk of sounding corny: At this time in American life, we need points of agreement, and right now tens of millions of Americans on both sides of the political divide agree on The Rock.

I'm sure the notions of hard work, respect and gratitude seem, at best, quaint to you, and with your obvious aversion to anything even approaching traditional masculinity, Johnson must seem like a hulking barbarian; just another dick-swinger.

I don't think he'll ever run, but if he does and his opponent is a copy of Hillary Clinton, you can bet your ass I'll vote for him.

0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 15 May, 2017 03:33 pm
Quote:
Trump revealed highly classified info to Russian diplomats in meeting

President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said that Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information Trump relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

The partner had not given the United States permission to share the material with Russia, and officials said that Trump’s decision to do so risks cooperation from an ally that has access to the inner workings of the Islamic State. After Trump’s meeting, senior White House officials took steps to contain the damage, placing calls to the CIA and National Security Agency.

“This is code-word information,” said a U.S. official familiar with the matter, using terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies. Trump “revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies.”

The revelation comes as Trump faces rising legal and political pressure on multiple Russia-related fronts. Last week, he fired FBI Director James B. Comey in the midst of a bureau investigation into links between the Trump campaign and Moscow. Trump’s subsequent admission that his decision was driven by “this Russia thing” was seen by critics as attempted obstruction of justice.

One day after dismissing Comey, Trump welcomed Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Ambassador Sergey Kislyak — a key figure in earlier Russia controversies — into the Oval Office. It was during that meeting, officials said, that Trump went off script and began describing details about an Islamic State terrorist threat related to the use of laptop computers on aircraft.

More at WP