monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:24 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

jcboy wrote:

Oh my, Susan Collins just debunked Trumps statement in Comey's letter about "reassuring him 3 times that he wasn't under investigation."

Yeah? How was that accomplished, exactly? Got any kinda link for this wild-ass claim?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:29 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

So where the Right's solution to the problem of nuclear waste?

Yucca Mountain is a suitable place. It was designed to be geostable for as long as we can reliably predict such things. It is in the middle of the former Nuclear Weapons Test site - where we have detonated well over a hundred underground nuclear weapons in various test programs. It was built and fully paid for with special taxes levied on nuclear power plants. The companies that own them have since successfully sued the Federal government for continued payment of their current storage costs for the repository that was built, but never opened. Moreover, Yucca Mtn. was built to be a recoverable facility - i.e. the nuclear waste stored there can subsequently be removed and placed somewhere else if necessary.

Finally the total amount high level nuclear waste resulting from the production of about 45% of our electrical energy for the past 40 years is surprisingly small: all of it would fill a football field to a depth of about three feet - not a very significant design or construction problem. The French store theirs quite nicely in Alpine tunnels bored for that purpose.

New nuclear plant designs involving more highly enriched fuels produce far less nuclear waste. The Navy's reactors powering our aircraft carriers are fueled once in their lifetimes ( 50 years) . They produce 1,000 MW of power and are powered - for the entire period - by a few hundred kilograms of fuel - a direct measure of the high level waste involved when the ship is decommissioned. That's about 1/15th what contemporary nuclear plants produce.

Ex Senator Harry Reid was an avid fan of the Yucca Mountain project and an energetic defender of its budget during the two decades it was under construction, but once it was completed he suddenly reversed course and singlehandedly (as Senate Majority leader) prevented its opening.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 06:05 pm
Well, OK, then!

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: KABUL, Afghanistan – It has been one month since the U.S. military dropped its largest non-nuclear combat weapon -- the MOAB -- to eradicate ISIS from its base in Afghanistan's Nanganhar province. And still, the ghostly destruction zone is a vision that haunts.

FoxNews.com has obtained exclusive images illuminating the bomb’s impact taken this week, showing the gouged and singed earth and even the limb of a dead fighter that had yet to be removed or buried.

...it worked extremely well, not only to kill more than 90 ISIS fighters, but to eliminate supply routes and squash morale within the terrorist organization.

"This was very effective -- many of ISIS' training camps are gone, bunkers destroyed," Gen. Qadamshah Shahim, chief of the general staff of the Afghan Ministry of Defense, who just stepped down from his role following the Mazar-i-Sharif attack, told Fox News.

But according to one high-ranking Afghan defense official the decision to use the MOAB was not taken hastily. Rather, it was a carefully calculated move.

The official said that a request to use such a weapon was brought to the attention of Afghan officials several months ago, and wasn't given the green light until all other options were explored and potential collateral damage and effectiveness studied.

"This wasn't about sending quick messages to show strength to other threatening countries like North Korea. This was about saving innocent Afghan lives from ISIS torture."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/11/moab-damage-in-afghanistan-extreme-widespread.html
0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 06:34 pm
New old news, eh? Credit to Lash for finding this sordid tale:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton Lobbied Bangladesh PM on Behalf of Clinton Foundation Donor

Another Clinton Foundation pay-to-play scheme has been revealed by a foreign government. On May 11, Circa reported, “The Office of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina confirmed to Circa that Mrs. Clinton called her office in March 2011 to demand that Dr. Muhammed Yunus be restored to his role as chairman of the country’s most famous microcredit bank, Grameen Bank.”

In May 2012, the Bangladesh government was investigating the bank and Yunus for financial mismanagement and allegations that Yunus diverted bank funds to his private enterprises... the bank Grameen America donated between $100,000 and $250,000 to the Clinton Foundation and Grameen Research donated an additional $25,000 to $50,000.

The Associated Press reported Yunus “met with Clinton three times and talked with her by phone during a period when Bangladeshi government authorities investigated his oversight of a nonprofit bank...Throughout the process, he pleaded for help in messages routed to Clinton, and she ordered aides to find ways to assist him.

Clinton State Department aides threatened the Bangladesh prime minister with an IRS audit of her son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, who is a United States resident. “They would say over and over again, ‘Yunus has powerful friends,’ and we all knew they were talking of Secretary Clinton. Everybody knew it was Mrs. Clinton.”

Former Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni told Daily Caller there was likely a correlation between the World Bank denying a $1.2 billion loan to Bangladesh and pressure from Clinton’s State Department.

http://observer.com/2017/05/hillary-clinton-lobbied-bangladesh-prime-minister-clinton-foundation-donor/

Well, ya gotta make sure that thieves who are giving you stolen money keep it coming, eh?

0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:11 pm
Quote:
BREAKING: TREY GOWDY WILL BECOME OUR NEW FBI DIRECTOR!

Trump, knowing what’s best and what the American people want, wasted no time and found Comey’s replacement before he asked for his resignation.

'Gowdy has assured the president that he will do everything in his power to end the Russia witch hunt except where the Clintons and Podesta are concerned and to get back to what is really important, which is shutting down Obama’s Deep State and getting to the bottom of Benghazi.

http://success-street.com/2017/03/29/breaking-trey-gowdy-will-become-new-fbi-director/

Well, could be fake news, I guess, but notice that this was over a month ago, and correctly reports that Comey will be fired (although their timing for that event was a little off).

Quote:
Bakari Sellers, a former Democratic state representative and current CNN commentator, threw political caution to the wind Wednesday when he tweeted that Gowdy would be the best person for the now-vacant job.

"Dems are going to hate me for this. I don't care. The best replacement for Comey is Trey Gowdy," Sellers tweeted. "He's as honest as day is long."

http://www.postandcourier.com/politics/if-south-carolina-s-trey-gowdy-wants-to-be-the/article_ddcf7a56-359a-11e7-b319-73468aeef47b.html
0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 07:26 pm
Well, ya gotta admit that Trump got this right, eh?

Quote:
Trump: Comey a 'grandstander,' 'showboat'

Trump, speaking to NBC News, gave his first in-depth remarks since the stunning ousting of Comey on Tuesday evening.

“Look he’s a showboat, he’s a grandstander,” Trump said. “The FBI has been in turmoil. You know that, I know that. Everybody knows that. You take a look at the FBI a year ago, it was in virtual turmoil – less than a year ago. It hasn’t recovered from that.”

Trump said he had planned to fire Comey for some time, but “there’s no good time to do it by the way.” “I was going to fire regardless of recommendation,” Trump said.

Trump again repeated his assertion, contained in the letter firing Comey, that the former FBI head had told Trump on three separate occasions that he was not personally under investigation regarding any possible collusion with Russian officials. “And I’ve heard that from others,” Trump said.

“I had a dinner with him, he wanted to have dinner because he wanted to stay on,” Trump said. “…And I said, ‘I’ll consider we’ll see what happens’…And at that time he told me, ‘You’re not under investigation,’ which I knew anyway.”

Said Trump: “In one case I asked him…He said: ‘You are not under investigation.’”

True to form, Trump doesn't try to play the role of a calculating, mealy-mouthed politician who may need Comey's support some day. He doesn't offer a bunch of polite platitudes about Comey. He just calls a spade a spade. And, needless to say, he should know a showboating grandstanding when he sees one. He wrote the book on it.

He doesn't give a **** if he really pisses Comey off and gives him extra incentive to want to "get back" at him. Bring it on.

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:17 pm
Yeah, that's what I'm talkin about! Trump is getting some **** done.

Quote:
ICE arrests nearly 1,400 in major anti-gang operation

The United States Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has arrested 1,378 people over the last six weeks in a massive gang-related operation. Of those, 1,095 were confirmed as gang members, ICE said, while the remaining 238 "were arrested on either criminal or administrative charges"

ICE also said that 10 people arrested had entered the US as unaccompanied minors - and nine of them were gang members. Another three had been part of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) scheme - so called "dreamers", or undocumented immigrants who arrived as children who are allowed to stay.

During the six-week operation, 238 firearms were seized, alongside almost 600lb (270kg) in mixed drugs, and almost half a million dollars in cash.

The large-scale operation was part of Operation Community Shield, an ongoing programme which targets gang members with the help of federal and local law enforcement agencies.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39891319

Over 100 (each) MS-13, Bloods, Crips, and Surenos gang members were arrested in this operation. More to come.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 11 May, 2017 11:49 pm
@layman,
No, he didn't. Anybody that gets more media ttention than he is getting is automatically an enemy, as far as Trump is concerned. He was really pissed that Comey was getting any attention. He has publicly demanded absolute loyalty from anybody he controls. If you don't toe the Trump party line, no matter how bizarre or insane that may be, you are automatically suspect in is eyes. C That was what apparently sent Trump into a firing rage.pmey wouldn't publicly at there was no Trump connection with Russia, for the simple reason that that was under investigation and he couldn't in good conscience say that since it was not at all clear it was true. Read sp,e pf the news reports about Trum[p;s actions in the weeks before he fired Comey. Trump is a man seriously out of control.

A couple of interesting articles around on the FBI> GThey are apparently deeply pissed about Comey's firing, and when the FBI gets pissed, they get even, and even Trump shouldn't mess with him, because they've got the dossiers, including appatently ones on ?trump, which they tend to leak anonymously to wiloing influential ears. Remember it was Deep Throat, the FBI leaker wgi wasbfkyebtua in bringing Nixon to account and down, Experts on the FBI think it quite likely they'll leak the beans on him and they'll quite ikely be damaging. Looks like he messd with the wrong people. About time his reckless actions caught up with him.
McGentrix

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:08 am
@MontereyJack,
Huh. 'The FBI is Trumpland': anti-Clinton atmosphere spurred leaking, sources say

Isn't that odd? Just a couple months ago the F.B.I. was so deep in Trump's pocket that they released several leaks to hurt Hillary.

Quote:
“The FBI is Trumpland,” said one current agent.
MontereyJack

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:12 am
@layman,
The research is certainly interesting, but it has as far as I cab see nothing to do with global warming, since it's talking about phenomena that aren't the part of the EMS that cause warming, which is the near infrared. The IR from the sun is not impeded by anh\ything in the atmosphere. It is absorbed by the earth and the things on it and reradiated at different wavelengths which interact with greenhouse gasses (they don't interact with nitrogen or oxygen, the main components of the atmosphere). They can bounce in any direction from those interactions. Some eventually bounce upward and escape, some bounce down and never escape, that's what causes the warming. Water vapor is the main GHG. There iis no evidence it is changing exc[t as a result of the increased heat as the planet warms, which makes it a consequent, not a forcing. GO2 iss of far less importance, but it IS changing due to human actions, and that is changing the conditions we live under
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:15 am
Quote:
The company owned by the sister of Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's son-in-law, has pulled out of presentations planned for China this weekend.

Kushner Companies was scheduled to pitch real estate opportunities to investors in the southern cities of Shenzhen and Guangzhou at the weekend.

But last week, Nicole Meyer Kushner came under fire for using her brother's name in a pitch.

Critics accused the business of playing up the family's White House links.

The company said the comments were misconstrued but has apologised.

Ms Meyer and Kushner Companies president Laurent Morali had been included in promotional material for the upcoming events.

But on Thursday, James Yolles, a spokesman for the firm, said in a statement: "No one from Kushner Companies will be in China this weekend."
Ms Meyer had mentioned her brother while urging investors to put $500,000 (£386,500) into a New Jersey property project through the so-called EB-5 programme.

The EB-5 visa programme, often used by wealthy Chinese nationals, allows foreign investors a path to a green card if they invest more than $500,000 in a project that creates jobs in the US.
Critics of the programme say it is used as a means of cheap financing for property developers.

Earlier this year in March, Kushner Companies - owned by Jared Kushner, who is also a senior advisor to Mr Trump - ended talks with Chinese firm Anbang Insurance over a major redevelopment project in New York City.

That potential deal had raised questions about a conflict of interest.

Mr Kushner has said he stepped away from his family's business operations, but government ethics filings show that he and his wife, Ivanka Trump, continue to benefit from their stake in Kushner Companies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39893103
0 Replies

layman

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:18 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

True to form, Trump doesn't try to play the role of a calculating, mealy-mouthed politician who may need Comey's support some day....He doesn't give a **** if he really pisses Comey off and gives him extra incentive to want to "get back" at him. Bring it on.

Quote:
INSIDE TRUMP’S COMING WAR WITH THE F.B.I.

The desire to defend the F.B.I.’s honor, and to set the record straight, appears to be already motivating law-enforcement sources to try to punch holes in Trump’s version of events.

Comey will need a way to fully tell his side of the controversies that ultimately sunk him at the F.B.I.

Maybe he’ll do it by a thousand cuts, feeding information to friendly reporters and prosecutors.

Maybe he’ll give a TV network an extended, exclusive interview.

..after being thoroughly vilified by the media while he was F.B.I. director, citizen Comey is now on the way to seeing it vindicate him, at the expense of President Trump.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/trumps-coming-war-with-the-fbi

As indicated by that last sentence, the headline is probably a little misleading. What they're really talking about is Trump's ongoing war with the main stream media, which has now supplanted the DNC as the de facto leaders of the the Democratic Party. Comey is just one more tool that can be used by them to distort the truth in their losing battle on that front.

The MSM doesn't just dutifully parrot and recite the Democratic talking points anymore. Now it creates the talking points for the Democrats to parrot.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:32 am
@McGentrix,
Well, you clearly weren't paying attention at the time. Wasn't that they were pro=Trump as it was a group of rogue agents in the NY office who were rabidly antiHillary. And now by all accounts the entire FBI is really really pissed at Trump, and judging from ;past actions, when they get pissed they leak, and they always have the dossiers. He;s gopt enpigh questionable things inhis past, from Mafia ties, to money laundering to tax evasions to fraud that he's likely going to be suffering the death of a thousand leaks for years, until they finally get him.. Incidentally, I was right. obstruction of a federal investigation can get you 20 years in the slammer, and several legal experts think a case can be made that that's what he;s done by firing Comey tho they admit that proving it in a court of Congfess won't be eary.
layman

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:37 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

obstruction of a federal investigation can get you 20 years in the slammer, and several legal experts think a case can be made that that's what he;s done by firing Comey.

Do tell. Who are these "legal experts" and what "case can be made?" Have any of them actually even attended an accredited law school, or are these just self-proclaimed "legal experts," aka journalists?
oralloy

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:42 am
@layman,
I'm just glad that someone invented the mute button. Over the last couple days it's beginning to look like one of the greatest inventions in human history.

Good God do those Leftists ever make a lot of noise when they throw a tantrum.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 12 May, 2017 12:58 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
What's missing from the chart is any illustration of the typical changes that have occurred over longer time spans due to the host of other geological & solar factors involved. That omission creates the deceptive and incorrect impression that ONLY CO2 concentrations are driving the changes we see now, and deprives us of any basis on which to see if the changes indicated are indeed significant in the long term.

I'm not deceiving you or depriving you of anything by posting a graph. This is pure fallacy. You can access all the data on global warming out there BY YOUR OWN, and you would have done so a long time ago if you were intellectually honest.

I posted this chart for a purpose: to dispell the absurd idea peddled by Guigui that a 11 yr solar cycle could explain a century-old phenomenon. The chart did that pretty effectively. Of course, even a child will understand the difference between 11 and 100 years... Guigui and the rest of you head-in-sand deniers are just looking for excuses.

layman

Fri 12 May, 2017 01:12 am
@Olivier5,
Roy Spencer's credentials as a climatologist are unquestioned. Here he raises the some of the real questions which the alarmists never address, but just ignore in their quest to tell us "scary stories," a la Count Floyd.

Quote:
Yes, there has been some recent warming. But so what? What is its cause? Is it unusual compared to previous centuries? Is it necessarily a bad thing?

And, most important from a policy perspective, What can we do about it anyway?

Rush Limbaugh and I have had a good-natured mini-disagreement over his characterization of global warming as a “hoax”. President-elect Trump has also used the “hoax” term.

I would like to offer my perspective on the ways in which global warming is indeed a “hoax”, but also a legitimate subject of scientific study.

Global warming has become a reason for government to institute policies, whether they be a carbon tax or whatever, using a regulatory mechanism which the public would never agree to if they knew (1) how much it will cost them in reduced prosperity, and (2) how little effect it will have on the climate system.

So, the policy prescription does indeed become a hoax, because the public is being misled into believing that their actions are going to somehow make the climate “better”.

In this regard, politicians using global warming as a policy tool to solve a perceived problem is indeed a hoax.

I like to say that global warming research isn’t rocket science — it is actually much more difficult. At best it is dodgy science, because there are so many uncertainties that you can get just about any answer you want out of climate models just by using those uncertianties as a tuning knob.

Scientists need to stop mischaracterizing global warming as settled science. The only part that is relatively settled is that adding CO2 to the atmosphere has probably contributed to recent warming. That doesn’t necessarily mean it is dangerous.

And it surely does not mean we can do anything about it… even if we wanted to.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2016/11/global-warming-policy-hoax-versus-dodgy-science/
farmerman

Fri 12 May, 2017 04:01 am
@layman,
cherry picking is your hobby I see. I recall back in 2012 when Spenser published several crap articles that fit with his denir role in academia. Nothing wrong with it but theres always going to be a few folks who deny evolution, radioisotopic dating, the Big Bang, etc etc.
Spenser submitted several works on how satellite imagery is incorrect in measuring GW.
The editors had some interesting critiques of his work
Quote:
“Your manuscript is both good and original. But the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good”:
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 12 May, 2017 04:14 am
@Olivier5,
youre right an the deniers have totally ignored the complex uptake of all"greenhouse" gases and atmospheric stable isotopes in the Greenland Ice cores. First came a host of greenhouse gases and then came the warmup nd interstadial periods.
Its food for deniers to try to pick at tiny isolated "factoids", but even the oil companies are coming around to the entire story.

Actually, since the Paleozoic, CO2, based upon the lessening occurrences of hematite, limestone and aragonite deposits, is DECLINING. The full mix o all sorts of greenhouse gases an vapors have taken up the bulk o responsibilities for GW. (most of which have only begun appearing since the post industrial age, what Ive called the CHEMOCENE in classes).
PLANT EVOLUTION is going to have to speed up and the ratios of C3 v C4 plant life will have to change, or we will be in a big bag of hurt.

farmerman

Fri 12 May, 2017 04:18 am
@farmerman,
HERE IS a little crop science view of C3 v C4 plantlife. (Its much more complex than jut feed values)