monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Thu 11 May, 2017 02:33 pm
@Olivier5,
I guess you don't understand what is meant by the 11 year cycle. Stop drinking the koolaid.
Olivier5

Thu 11 May, 2017 02:38 pm
@giujohn,
Stop offering Koolaid. I know perfectly well what the 11 yr solar cycle and as its name implies, it cannot explain a long term warming trend lasting over a century.
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 02:43 pm
@giujohn,
What we don't know about long-term climate changes probably far exceeds what we think we do know, eh, John? Many relevant factors are never even considered in any given "model" or "study."

Quote:
Since 1611, humans have recorded the comings and goings of black spots on the sun. The number of these sunspots wax and wane over approximately an 11-year cycle -- more sunspots generally mean more activity and eruptions on the sun and vice versa. The number of sunspots can change from cycle to cycle and 2008 saw the longest and weakest solar minimum since scientists have been monitoring the sun with space-based instruments.

Observations have shown, however, that magnetic effects on Earth due to the sun, effects that cause the aurora to appear, did not go down in synch with the cycle of low magnetism on the sun. Now, a paper in Annales Geophysicae that appeared on May 16, 2011 reports that these effects on Earth did in fact reach a minimum -- indeed they attained their lowest levels of the century -- but some eight months later. The scientists believe that factors in the speed of the solar wind, and the strength and direction of the magnetic fields embedded within it, helped produce this anomalous low.

"Historically, the solar minimum is defined by sunspot number," says space weather scientist Bruce Tsurutani at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, Calif., who is first author on the paper. "Based on that, 2008 was identified as the period of solar minimum. But the geomagnetic effects on Earth reached their minimum quite some time later in 2009. So we decided to look at what caused the geomagnetic minimum."

Three things help determine how much energy from the sun is transferred to Earth's magnetosphere from the solar wind: the speed of the solar wind, the strength of the magnetic field outside Earth's bounds (known as the interplanetary magnetic field) and which direction it is pointing, since a large southward component is necessary to connect successfully to Earth's magnetosphere and transfer energy.

Working together, these three factors -- low interplanetary magnetic field strength combined with slower solar wind speed and smaller magnetic fluctuations due to coronal hole placement -- create the perfect environment for a geomagnetic minimum.

Knowing what situations cause and suppress intense geomagnetic activity on Earth is a step toward better predicting when such events might happen. To do so well, Tsurutani points out, requires focusing on the tight connection between such effects and the complex physics of the sun. "It's important to understand all of these features better," he says. "To understand what causes low interplanetary magnetic fields and what causes coronal holes in general. This is all part of the solar cycle. And all part of what causes effects on Earth."

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/solar-minima.html
georgeob1

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:09 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

[Yeah, George. I made an earlier post which addressed the (lagging) relationship of CO2 to surface temperatures over the last 850,000 years. I don't know if you saw it or not.
No one denies that the climate is changing. No one denies that more greenhouse gases will have some warming effect (which could be more than offset by other relevant factors). But the question remains--so what? Many scientists have claimed that increased CO2 levels, within reason, would be a great benefit to humanity.

Quote:
IPCC official Ottmar Edenhofer, speaking in November 2010, advised that: “…one has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. Instead, climate change policy is about how we redistribute de facto the world’s wealth...”

I did see your comment about the lag evident in the geological history of our planet.

I believe AGW is likely real, but that the contemporary propaganda is deceptively alarmist; focuses exclusively on adverse consequences, while ignoring positive ones and wrongfully emphasizes continued exponential growth in a world that typically damps such excursions .(That was the late Michael Crichton's point in his best selling novel "The Andromeda Strain " a generation ago).

More importantly, there's not much in it (for us) if we "save the planet" but sacrifice humanity in doing so. Moreover, the political forces able to enforce the technological follies of the AGW zealots would be able and sufficient to do terrible harm to humanity in many other areas as well. History demonstrates this amply. The tale of the Tower of Babel is not unique to the Abrahamic Bible: it's also in the Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh which predates it by over a millennium - and it might have been old even then.

Are you familiar with the work of the Dane, Bjorn Lomborg in this area? He wrote an interesting Book "The skeptical Environmentalist" a little over a decade ago addressing these and related issues. His central theme is the adverse and usually unanticipated side effects of the remedies favored by the AGW zealots, and their very odd and contradictory opposition to far more effective solutions from nuclear power and other new technologies.

I have a number of friends in the Physics Dept. of nearby Cal Berkeley, all of whom see things pretty much the same way (one is a former Sec. Of Energy). However most despair of, or avoid, speaking about it publically and directly.

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:23 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Are you familiar with the work of the Dane, Bjorn Lomborg in this area? He wrote an interesting Book "The skeptical Environmentalist" a little over a decade ago addressing these and related issues. His central theme is the adverse and usually unanticipated side effects of the remedies favored by the AGW zealots, and their very odd and contradictory opposition to far more effective solutions from nuclear power and other new technologies.

I have a number of friends in the Physics Dept. of nearby Cal Berkeley, all of whom see things pretty much the same way (one is a former Sec. Of Energy). However most despair of, or avoid, speaking about it publically and directly.

No, I'm not familiar with Lomborg or his book, but it sounds quite interesting and insightful. It kinda brings to mind this quote (which is sometimes attributed to Groucho Marx0):

Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. (Ernest Benn)

What you reveal about the Berkeley profs is quite interesting also. Many of the most radical eco-terrorists actually advocate the destruction of mankind in order to save "the planet." I aint one of them.

0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The deniers ARE the fraud.

There is fraud on the pro-global warming side too. The acceptance of this fraud is one of the reasons why many people don't give a lot of credence to the global warming hysteria.

Olivier5 wrote:
They have blocked us from acting for decades now.

Wrong. It is the Left that fights against the expansion of nuclear power. It is the Left who fights against pipelines and fracking. It is the Left who fights against efforts to try to counter the warming by cooling the earth.

The skeptics are not the ones who are preventing you from solving climate problems.

Olivier5 wrote:
Enough is enough. They have even infected you now, since you start denying the truth. Not sure we can keep you alive, kid. You too are a danger to mankind.

What truth am I allegedly denying?
revelette1

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:43 pm
@georgeob1,
Trump's disapproval numbers might not translate into votes for democrats, in fact, if democrats count on that, we will lose for sure. As for Clinton and others (and me) have said, it is not relevant to the point. The point being a greater percent disapprove of Trump than voted for Hillary. So the argument of all this being product of just lefties being sore losers is debunked.

In my opinion, the media should be doing all they can bring down Trump since they are largely responsible for him in the first place. During the whole presidential election season, it was Trump all the time. It still is, but for some reason, it works differently for a President than it does for a candidate.
gungasnake

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:43 pm
http://thelastlineofdefense.org/breaking-clinton-foundation-cargo-ship-raided-at-port-of-baltimore-reveals-sick-secret/
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:51 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

The point being a greater percent disapprove of Trump than voted for Hillary. So the argument of all this being product of just lefties being sore losers is debunked.

In my opinion, the media should be doing all they can bring down Trump...

1. The argument you purport to "debunk" was never made.
2. Your point doesn't serve to "debunk" the arguments that were made, in any event.
3. It is no surprise that you see it as the duty of the media to "bring down Trump."

Your emotions are very clear. Your "reasoning" often is not, in the least.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 03:58 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
A ship owned and operated by the Clinton Foundation was raided as it arrived from Africa this morning at the Port of Baltimore. The ship, which was supposed to be carrying “emergency supplies,” was actually carrying a cargo that had authorities stunned. BPA Harbormaster Jake Cummings explained to CNN:

“We received a tip that the Clinton Foundation flagship, The Chelsea, was carrying illegal contraband into the United States. In the middle of the ship’s large manifest of containers, most of which were empty, we found 14 containing…people. Yes, people."

They were all Refugees from places like Yemen and Syria and not a single one had any kind of documentation. We interviewed those who spoke English and were told that for $40K, anyone can catch a ride to the United States on a ship nobody would ever suspect.

At $40,000 a pop, you'd think Clinton would have packed a few more in, eh? They must have already basically exhausted the market of Syrians who can cough up $40,000.
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:21 pm
@layman,
Ya gotta wonder if any of these Syrian "refugees" had suicide belts waiting for them at the Clinton Foundation warehouse so that they could get straight to business, eh?
0 Replies

jcboy

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:26 pm
Oh my, Susan Collins just debunked Trumps statement in Comey's letter about "reassuring him 3 times that he wasn't under investigation." It also seems the Deputy AG is not having any of Trump's BS that the AG brought this to Trump. Why is it so easy to spot the lies, yet so many give him a pass.

I truly believe Trump shows signs of onset dementia.
jcboy

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:31 pm
@revelette1,
Won't it be easier for some Republicans to save their own asses by joining in on investigating Trump than it would be for them to try to pass that terrible healthcare bill? Cool
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:31 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It is the Left that fights against the expansion of nuclear power.

So where the Right's solution to the problem of nuclear waste?
McGentrix

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:32 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

North Korea.
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:33 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Oh my, Susan Collins just debunked Trumps statement in Comey's letter about "reassuring him 3 times that he wasn't under investigation."

Yeah? How was that accomplished, exactly? Got any kinda link for this wild-ass claim?
layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:34 pm
@McGentrix,
Good one, Gent.
0 Replies

roger

Thu 11 May, 2017 04:34 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

hightor wrote:

North Korea.

I like it, but I have to admit to some truly reprehensible instincts.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:09 pm
If I control money that was donated to help the poor, what should I do with it? An easy question for the average Democratic politician to answer, eh?

Quote:
Ex-Rep. Corrine Brown guilty on fraud, tax evasion charges

Former Democratic Rep. Corrine Brown was found guilty on 18 fraud and tax evasion charges Thursday afternoon in a Jacksonville federal court.

The charges stemmed from accusations she illegally siphoned thousands of dollars from her charity into her own bank account for lavish parties, trips and shopping excursions.

The indictment came after an investigation into the charity One Door for Education Foundation Inc., which federal prosecutors say was purported to give scholarships to poor students but instead filled the coffers of Brown and her associates.

Earlier this year, One Door President Carla Wiley pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud after it as determined that she had deposited $800,000 into the foundation's account over four years. Over that time, federal prosecutors say it gave one scholarship for $1,000 and that Wiley transferred herself tens of thousands of dollars.

Well, in her defense, one deserving guy did get $1,000, eh?
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 11 May, 2017 05:22 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Most of alleged nuclear waste (including 100% of the stuff that lasts for millions of years) is actually unreprocessed nuclear fuel that the anti-nuke activists block us from reprocessing.

I say we reprocess the alleged waste and use it to fuel nuclear reactors.

Problem solved. (Technically it was never a problem.)
0 Replies