monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

ehBeth

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yes. That's my understanding of it (and it sort of used to be my line of work - studying that stuff).

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/us-weather/california-sea-levels-may-rise-higher-than-expected/82174/

and yeah, it's about California ... but it matters

Quote:
Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 4:04 - Researchers from the California Ocean Protection Council authority is warning that melting ice shelves in Antarctica could cause sea levels to rise, with the most dramatic increase expected in California.

According to a report by the council’s Science Advisory Team, for every foot of global sea-level rise caused by the melting West Antarctic, sea levels will rise approximately 1.25 feet in the California coast.

Researchers theorize that due to Earth’s rotation and gravitational pull, melting ice in Antarctica — particularly in the western portion — is pulled toward the California coast. This makes rising sea levels more dramatic in the region.

In 2100, sea levels could rise as high as 6.9 feet in San Francisco and 7.1 feet in La Jolla.

link to pdf of full report

http://www.opc.ca.gov/webmaster/ftp/pdf/docs/rising-seas-in-california-an-update-on-sea-level-rise-science.pdf
Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:29 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The first step in fighting climate change has to be getting rid of all of the liberals.

No, it's to get rid of the deniers.
Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:32 pm
@giujohn,
Yes, and we can see it warming every year, because of us...
Olivier5

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You mean to burn, graze or cut the undergrowth at regular times. That's good practice to avoid burning the whole forest, in Mediterranean and OZ forests. Also in California.
Baldimo

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I wonder what their predictions were 10 years ago and how accurate they are now? You do realize that no climate models have been true in the last 20 years but have continued to claim how horrible things will be a decade from now.
ehBeth

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:50 pm
@Baldimo,
They're not 100% but the overall trendlines have been right for at least the last x years (I did my first report on this subject in 1973).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 10 May, 2017 03:52 pm
@ehBeth,
We have had some similarities, re lines of work.

Anyway, far away, we had pretty good times in Venice, and shortly bought a house together, and that lasted for decades.

We lived beach near.

The beach wasn't all that far, it was just there.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 10 May, 2017 04:01 pm
@Olivier5,
Yes.

I, oldie, haven't ability to specify now.. which is an annoying,

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:23 pm
@Debra Law,
Comey's firing has nothing to do with his job performance, as it should have before Jan. 20. A week ago he testified to a Congressional Comm., just this past Monday he requested more funds (from the Deputy Att. Gen.) to investigate the Russian-Trump connection, & Sally Yates's unshakeable appearance has Trump sweating.

His post Tweets give away so much. Cool
jcboy

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:39 pm
@jcboy,
Read the letter. This has nothing to do with an investigation. Believe it Trump said so. Cool

http://oi67.tinypic.com/wsvacx.jpg
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:48 pm
I find it interesting that FOX news has intellectual discussions at times.

0 Replies

hightor

Wed 10 May, 2017 05:48 pm
@giujohn,
I'm not sure you understand the significance of greenhouse gases. Or the concept of "average global temperature". Or the difference between readings on land and readings taken in the sea.
hightor

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:02 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Although that small positive can perhaps be offset by the negative of his opposition to pipelines.

The opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline may have been overly influenced by politics but opposing the Keystone project made environmental sense. "If you build it they will come." Basically the project will lock us into dependency on oil from tar sands for the next thirty years, precisely at the time that we should be developing sustainable sources of energy. There are significant environmental complications from wide-scale development of tar sands as a source of oil.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Your post made my heart stop. I haven't seen that article yet in local paper but as dreadful as the message sadly there are sick f@$ks who see nothing wrong with this brand of perversion. I don't see the penalties as draconian, rather more far too lenient. Even prison inmates find this so abhorant these offenders need their be protected from the other cons.
glitterbag

Wed 10 May, 2017 06:49 pm
@glitterbag,
So today we have Trump yukking it up in the Oval Office with Russia's ambassador to the US and Russia's Foreign Minister. (Sure, this happened all the time in previous administrations) The White House press corps was not allowed in for a picture op, but the Russian News Org. TASS was allowed in. The Russians released the photo..........I'm guessing the Rhodes scholar in the Oval Office didn't trust 'fake news' so it was up to Russia to publish. What the f@$ks wrong with this picture????