monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Tue 9 May, 2017 07:22 pm
My impeachment by date is March 14 or something.

I think we're on track.
layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 07:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

President Trump cannot pick the person to continue this critical investigation.

What "critical investigation" would that be, I wonder? Comey told Trump three times that he was NOT under investigation. If his motive was to quash any investigation, he certainly would never fire Comey, eh?
McGentrix

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:07 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

My impeachment by date is March 14 or something.

I think we're on track.

Elections are in November, so I'd say you are a bit off.
hightor

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
... breathless hyperbole...ridiculous but so treasured by liberals...

Yeah, okay. Got it. Thing is, a liberal could say the same thing about the stock conservative spiel:
Quote:
Liberals have been conducting a slow motion "coup d'etat" over the past 30 years. Racial quotas. LGBT "rights". Gay "marriage". Voter fraud. Judges legislating from the bench. Propaganda programs to misinform and confuse large swaths of the voting public about the climate, nutrition, and the right of corporate free speech. Obama's firing of Lt.Gen. Flynn in the midst of unprecedented terrorist hostilities carried out by radical Islamists sends precisely the wrong message to the jihadists and demonstrates the weakness and perversion leading to the ultimate destruction of democracy in the US with the election of Hillary Clinton and permanent liberal control of the country. This will not end well.

I could have read "breathless hyperbole" like this on a conservative site last year.

Lash

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:29 pm
@McGentrix,
You aren't concerned that he's headed for an early retirement?
layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:31 pm
The Deputy Atty General, Rod Rosenstein, wrote a letter to Sessions, giving the reasons for recommending that Comey be replaced. Some excerpts:

Quote:
Over the past year, however, the FBI's reputation and credibility have suffered substantial damage, and it has affected the entire Department of Justice. That is deeply troubling to many Department employees and veterans, legislators and citizens.

I cannot defend the Director's handling of the conclusion of the investigation of Secretary Clinton's emails, and I do not understand his refusal to accept the nearly universal judgment that he was mistaken. Almost everyone agrees that the Director made serious mistakes; it is one of the few issues that unites people of diverse perspectives.

The director was wrong to usurp the Attorney General's authority on July 5, 2016, and announce his conclusion that the case should be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement...On July 5, however, the Director announced his own conclusions about the nation's most sensitive criminal investigation, without the authorization of duly appointed Justice Department leaders.

Compounding the error, the Director ignored another longstanding principle: we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation. Concerning his letter to the Congress on October 28, 2016, the Director cast his decision as a choice between whether he would "speak" about the FBI's decision to investigate the newly-discovered email messages or "conceal" it. "Conceal" is a loaded term that misstates the issue. When federal agents and prosecutors quietly open a criminal investigation, we are not concealing anything; we are simply following the longstanding policy that we refrain from publicizing non-public information. In that context, silence is not concealment.

My perspective on these issues is shared by former Attorneys General and Deputy Attorneys General from different eras and both political parties. Judge Laurence Silberman, who served as Deputy Attorneys General under President Ford, wrote that "it is not the bureau's responsibility to opine on whether a matter should be prosecuted." Silberman believes that the Director's "Performance was so inappropriate for an FBI director that [he] doubt[s] the bureau will ever completely recover." J

Jamie Gorelick, Deputy Attorney General under President George W. Bush, to opine that the Director had "chosen personally to restrike the balance between transparency and fairness, department from the department's traditions." They concluded that the Director violated his obligation to "preserve, protect and defend" the traditions of the Department and the FBI.

Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey, who served under President George W Bush, observed the Director "stepped way outside his job in disclosing the recommendation in that fashion" because the FBI director "doesn't make that decision".

Alberto Gonzales, who also served as Attorneys General under President George W Bush, called the decision "an error in judgement.

Eric Holder, who served as Deputy Attorneys General under President Clinton and Attorneys General under President Obama, said that the Director's decision "was incorrect. It violated long-standing Justice Department policies and traditions. And it ran counter to guidance that I put in place four years ago laying out the proper way to conduct investigations during an election season." Holder concluded that the Director "broke with these fundamental principles" and "negatively affected public trust in both the Justice Department and the FBI".

Former Deputy Attorneys General Gorelick and Thompson described the unusual event as "read-time, raw-take transparency taken to its illogical limit, a kind of reality TV of federal criminal investigation," that is "antithetical to the interests of justice".

Donald Ayer, who served as Deputy Attorneys General under President HW Bush, along with former Justice Department officials, was "astonished and perplexed" by the decision to "break[] with longstanding practices followed by officials of both parties during past elections." Ayer's letter noted, "Perhaps most troubling… is the precedent set by this departure from the Department's widely-respected, non-partisan traditions."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39866767

0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:33 pm
@hightor,
I can't speak for you, but I'm still in stitches over the president's note claiming that Comey assured Trump on 3 separate occasions that 'trump' was not under investigation. Does anybody truly think that Trump got an assurance from Comey? Try this, call your local FBI office and ask them if you are under investigation. That's the best way I can think of telling the FBI maybe they should be checking you out for 'something'.
layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:38 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Does anybody truly think that Trump got an assurance from Comey?

Yeah, Comey would NEVER say anything about who was under investigation, for what, or even make any hints about it, eh?

Just ask Hillary Clinton.
glitterbag

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:49 pm
@layman,
Oh, how long were you with the FBI? You sound naive, quell suprise.
layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:53 pm
@glitterbag,
How long were YOU with the FBI?

I didn't refer to anything that wasn't public knowledge, and made no pretense to any intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the FBI.

Now, what's the basis for your wild-ass speculation and guffawing, eh, Glitter? You have glibly insisted that Trump is an outright liar about what Comey told him. Were you there?
glitterbag

Tue 9 May, 2017 08:54 pm
I wonder if Trump takes his copy of EO home and then Melania tapes them to the frig in the private quarters?
0 Replies

layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:01 pm
@layman,
Perhaps only Trump and Comey know for sure what was said between them (of course, there may also have been other witnesses). Were you present at all (or any) of those meeting, Glitter?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

If you want to talk about "naive," then consider your own absurdities. If Trump wanted to lie about what Comey told him, he might get away with it with anyone else BUT Comey. Do you think Trump is stupid enough to make a false claim to the guy he is firing about what was said between them? The first reaction he should expect (if he is lying) would be for a pissed-off Comey to flatly denounce him as a liar. Not the type of situation that any liar would openly court, eh?

edgarblythe

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:05 pm
I've been reading some reports that Comey was assembling a grand jury. The authors state that they have no solid proof of this as yet.
giujohn

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:11 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It's a fact that methane and carbon dioxyde are greenhouse gases, in that they can trap heat much better than oxygen or nitrogen.

It's a fact that since the industrial revolution, the western way of life is based on the combustion of fossil fuels, which emits carbon dioxyde.

It's a fact that our atmosphere CO2 content has been steadilt rising since the industrial revolution.

It's a fact that mean temperatures have been rising since the industrial revolution, at a pace correlated with CO2 levels.

It's a fact that we won't stop using fossil fuels anytime soon.

Hence it's a fact that we are ******* up the climate like there's no tomorrow.

And the fact is in the last 137 years the temperature has risen 1.5 degrees...so you are so full of it.
glitterbag

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:14 pm
@layman,
Yes, he is vain enough to think he can exonerate himself. I take it YOU were in the room when this fantasy was supposedly discussed? But I keep thinking of the line Kathleen Turner delivered in 'Body Heat' to her co-star William Hurt. Ahem, "you're not very smart are you? I like that in a man". I have never ever said something like that withering line to a real guy, but I thought of that movie when I read your last post. Sad
layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I've been reading some reports that Comey was assembling a grand jury. The authors state that they have no solid proof of this as yet.

As Director, Comey, and Comey alone, did NOT undertake to "assemble" grand juries. That is the type of task that is routinely delegated to competent counsel, and, even then, it wouldn't just be him (who presumably has not been fired) who was aware of it.

There would be a massive file (consisting of, among other things, reports from many different FBI agents) left behind even if Comey did do everything himself and keep it all secret. Comey is NOT the entire FBI, and the results of ongoing investigations do not suddenly cease to exist if a new Director comes in.

But there is no doubt, that even years from now, when no evidence ever turns up, the cheese-eaters will claim that there were mountains of evidence which all suddenly disappeared when Comey was fired.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:15 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

I wish Trump would appoint me as the new FBI Director. I would follow J. Edgar's blueprint, compiling blackmail material on every son of a bitch in Washington, and then coast to a pension, while collecting a high salary in the interim, ya know?

They could NEVER fire my ass.

You is wicked boy...(you wouldn't dress up in women's clothes I hope)
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:17 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

So, is anybody going to follow up on the Russia allegations?

Yeah the former DNI has put it to bed...NO EVIDENCE OF COLLUSION.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
There is a grand jury and Subpoenas have been issued. All I have heard is the subpoenas were sent/delivered to associates of Gen Flynn (ret). I can't vouch for the accuracy.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 9 May, 2017 09:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Just keep on truckin with the totally unsubstantiated slander there, eh, Glitter? It's your established M.O, so don't quit now, eh? Too bad you can't come up with anything even slightly credible to claim though, ya know? It kinda undermines the effectiveness of your braying libel and your devious habits.