monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Mon 8 May, 2017 03:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's not exactly the same as the soma portrayed in BNW so the allegory has absolutely no relevance at all. Yeah, because that's how allegories work, by being identical to what's being allegorised.

You're being a bit of an ostrich. Lots of money being is made by big pharmaceuticals, yet none that money gets spent on influencing the government. Not so much Aldous Huxley but Eleanor H. Porter.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 8 May, 2017 03:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

That is flat out stupid.

No more stupid than believing that short of an all out nuclear war that man could significantly and permanently affect the climate...and even the result of numerous nuclear detonations wouldn't be permanent.
blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
The internet totally changes how to lie to people. Before you had to have a TV channel, or be able to influence one. Eg Turner creating CNN, Murdock creating FAUX. It was costly but reasonnably simple to do (and to spot). Now it's become both cheaper and much more sophisticated. It's harder to lie consistantly and not be called on it than it was during the TV age, much easier to simply sow doubt, ie confuse people. Eg many Americans are confused about global warming because it's been DONE to them, they have been rendered confused on purpose.
When you get time, read the full interview HERE as Strate does address the internet era and says many of the things I'd point to. One point he doesn't make is that the boomer generation (as in Fox's audience and many/most contributers here) have grown up in the TV era and habits of mind were, arguably, deeply inculcated at the onset of the internet era. Further, there's too little about the modern internet/audience connection that fosters careful, deep and reasoned thought and discourse. Just take Facebook as an example.

You suggest that it is harder to lie and not be called on it. I'm not at all sure that's true in any meaningful sense. The evidence I'd forward here is simply how much lying and dishonesty we see every day from top political characters and their spokespersons. In my life (I'm 69) I've never seen anything like this. Yes, they are commonly called on it but that "corrective" has been, overall, more a failure than a success. And you point to a causal feature here - it's "much easier to simply sow doubt, ie confuse people." That relies upon two features I can identify: 1) the amount of lying and dishonesty used to sow doubt/confusion and 2) the "immediacy" feature that Strate discusses.
revelette1

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:06 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You must have lot of discipline to be able to do without the pills and attend to a wedding after breast cancer surgery. IMO, it is not just opioid, but everything, but yeah, that has gotten worse.

Your right, not anything to do with the thread.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:26 pm
@blatham,
A further on the Strate piece...

Any serious educator understands that the single most significant factor which correlates to student success (and success later in life) is reading in the home - reading to children, promoting reading as they grow up and having lots of books in the home.

I'm not sure who here might have some familiarity with letters written by soldiers in the civil war but they are consistently impressive in knowledge, in vocabulary and in coherence. That was a consequence of a literate culture and the dominance of books as a means to both learn and to be entertained.

As an example of this sort of home in the modern era where books and learning via books have clearly been fundamental to that home life, just take a look at this interview in the New York Review of Books with Chelsea Clinton.
Quote:
What books are currently on you night stand?

Svetlana Alexievich’s “Secondhand Time”; David Morrell’s trilogy featuring Thomas and Emily De Quincey; Megan Marshall’s “Margaret Fuller”; George Saunders’s “Tenth of December”; Mary Beard’s “SPQR.” The first and last I am reading in between fiction and long-format magazine pieces. Alexievich is all-consuming when I’m reading it, completely evocative in a way that brings me into the fabric of the stories she’s sharing, far more than bringing those stories to me. I find it both energizing and enervating, and best engaged with in chunks so I can experience it and not become numbed by its force. I’m looking forward to learning more about Margaret Fuller’s work advocating for better — and more humane — prisons and mental hospitals. Those are the physical books on my night stand. I’ve a much larger — an embarrassingly large — virtual pile on my Kindle...
HERE

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:45 pm
A very uncomfortable sociopath
Quote:
Rupert Murdoch Says ‘Nothing’s Happening At Fox News’
TPM
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:49 pm
@Olivier5,
I haven't had a tv for years and enjoy the internet, or hate it, etc.
I get that there are efforts going on that I do not understand. I tune in to tech stuff, but am usually befuddled.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 05:53 pm
Quote:
Kailani Koenig‏Verified account
@kailanikm
Trump release on "total and complete shutdown" of Muslims entering US has been on campaign site since '15. Now gone. https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration
Promise? What promise? The fake media said I said that. They lie. Sad!
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:00 pm
Some bucks (lots and lots of them) stop in the Trump family bank accounts. Other bucks definitely do not stop at Trump
Quote:
...the Republican president has a solution he's very fond of: arguing this is all Barack Obama's fault. Trump has repeatedly referenced the fact that Flynn had a security clearance during his predecessor's administration, which Trump sees as stunning evidence of ... something.

Even at face value, the talking point is a little silly, even for this White House. Yes, when Flynn served as head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, he had a security clearance. But Obama fired Flynn, and soon after, he joined Trump's team. It wasn't Obama's idea for Flynn to become a member of Trump's inner circle, just as it wasn't Obama's idea for Trump to make Flynn Trump's NSA.

Making matters worse, NBC News reports today that Obama specifically warned Trump not to hire Flynn -- which was good advice the Republican just didn't take.
Benen
This Trump guy is some piece of work.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:01 pm
@Olivier5,
I'm an Olivier fan. I figure we will argue naturally when stuff come up.
Regards..
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:09 pm
The people who have a LOT of money want the people who have a LOT of money to determine the shape and operations of government in the United States.

Politico reports that the Georgia race is now the most expensive U.S. House race in the history of the country.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
For the curious, I still have my two boobs, somewhat lopesided.
I remember friends going through much much worse.
ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
How to switch this back to the trumpet family..
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 06:45 pm
@ossobucotemp,
If I gain any more weight, we'll have four between us.
ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 07:08 pm
@blatham,
Not the way I remember you.. not that you are not allowed to gain weight.

OK, the rest period is over.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 10:37 pm
Think about this one.

Quote:
White House Aides Urged Trudeau to Lobby Trump

May 8, 2017By Taegan Goddard87 Comments
“White House staff called the Prime Minister’s Office last month to urge Justin Trudeau to persuade President Trump not to tear up the North American Free Trade Agreement,” the National Post reports.

“The unconventional diplomatic maneuver — approaching the head of a foreign government to influence your own boss — proved decisive, as Trump thereafter abandoned his threat to pull out of NAFTA unilaterally, citing the arguments made by Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto as pivotal.”

“But the incident highlights the difficulties faced by governments all over the world when it comes to dealing with a president as volatile as Trump.”
PW
Some people at the White House, knowing the President is an ignorant, irresponsible and emotionally damaged individual, call up the Canadian Prime Minister pleading that he baby-sit the President.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 10:49 pm
In my view, we a re dealing with a president who is a menace. My question is, where will the plop be..
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 9 May, 2017 03:09 am
Quote:
Trump says he reserves right to ignore medical marijuana protection provision in spending bill

(...)
Trump signed the bill despite his objections to numerous provisions included in the measure. One such provision prohibits the Justice Department from using any funds to block implementation of medical marijuana laws by states and U.S. territories. In a signing statement that accompanied the bill and that laid out his objections, Trump said he reserved the right to ignore the provision. He held out the possibility that the administration could pursue legal action against states and territories that legalize marijuana for medical use.

The Cannabist
izzythepush

Tue 9 May, 2017 03:29 am
@hightor,
Medical marijuana, unlike opioids, does not make money for large pharmaceutical companies.
0 Replies

revelette1

Tue 9 May, 2017 06:14 am
Quote:
Eighteen days.

That’s how much time passed from acting Attorney General Sally Yates’s warning to the White House that National Security Adviser Michael Flynn lied to Vice President Mike Pence about contacts with Russian officials to the administration’s decision to fire him.

The White House will be under increasing pressure to explain what it did during that period after Yates’ Senate testimony on Monday, her highest-profile appearance since President Donald Trump fired her Jan. 30 for refusing to enforce his initial travel ban. Her revelations come as FBI and multiple congressional committees intensify their scrutiny of Russia’s meddling in last year’s election and any possible connections to Trump aides or associates.

Yates, an Obama administration holdover, said she reached out to White House Counsel Donald McGahn in late January after noting discrepancies between classified intelligence reports on Flynn’s behavior and Pence’s descriptions of what the national security adviser told him.

Blackmail Potential

In two White House meetings on Jan. 26 and Jan. 27, Yates said she told McGahn that the classified information suggested that Flynn was potentially subject to blackmail because the Russians would know he had misled Pence.

"We felt it was critical we get this information to the White House," Yates told a Senate Judiciary subcommittee in a hearing alongside former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. "We believed that General Flynn was compromised with respect to the Russians. To state the obvious, you don’t want your national security adviser compromised with the Russians.”

McGahn, Yates said, asked her why it mattered “if one White House official lies to another White House official.” Yates said she emphasized legal concerns about Flynn’s “underlying conduct,” calling Flynn’s behavior "problematic in and of itself.” Pence and the administration also needed to know they were making false statements based on information Flynn had given them, she said.

Flynn was eventually dismissed on Feb. 13, four days after the Washington Post reported he had discussed sanctions with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, which he misled Pence about.

‘False Assurances

“Why did the President wait until General Flynn’s false assurances to the Vice President and others become public before removing him from his post,” Representative Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, which is pursuing its own investigation into Trump-Russia ties, said in a statement.

After the Senate Judiciary subcommittee’s hearing ended, Trump said in one of a series of tweets that Yates had given the media “nothing but old news.” He went on to say, “The Russia-Trump collusion story is a total hoax, when will this taxpayer funded charade end?”

Yates’s testimony came just hours after the disclosure that then-President Barack Obama warned Trump during the presidential transition against hiring Flynn as his national security adviser. Obama raised his concerns during his Oval Office meeting with Trump on Nov. 10, according to an Obama administration official who asked not to be identified discussing internal matters. Obama had fired Flynn from a post as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer acknowledged and quickly discounted the warning from Obama, telling reporters Monday that “President Obama made it known that he wasn’t exactly a fan of General Flynn’s, which shouldn’t come as a surprise” given Flynn’s role as an outspoken Trump supporter and Obama critic.

Trump has stood by Flynn -- an early supporter during the presidential campaign -- even after his dismissal, saying in a March 31 Twitter posting that the lieutenant general is the subject of a “witch hunt” and should be given “immunity” from prosecution to tell congressional committees his story.

Trump had started the week seeking to preempt any potentially damaging testimony through tweets blaming the Obama administration for giving Flynn a security clearance and urging that Yates be questioned about whether she was responsible for leaks about him.

“Ask Sally Yates, under oath, if she knows how classified information got into the newspapers soon after she explained it to W.H. Counsel,” Trump tweeted.

Republican Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, did just that, asking both Yates and Clapper whether they leaked information about Flynn’s contacts with the Russian ambassador or authorized anyone else to do so. Both answered no and said they didn’t know how the information ended up in news reports.

Some senators sought to focus the discussion on the “unmasking” of U.S. persons such as Flynn in intelligence reports after they are overheard or mentioned in surveillance of foreign intelligence targets. Clapper defended the unmasking of Americans, who normally aren’t mentioned by name in the reports, as important in some cases to understand what the foreign targets were trying to do.

‘Huge Deal

"I did feel an obligation as DNI that I should attempt to understand the context in who this person was," said Clapper, who left office at the end of the Obama administration on Jan. 20. He said there was a big difference between unmasking a name and leaking it to the public, which he agreed was a crime. He sought to steer the focus of the hearing toward what he described as Russia’s continuing efforts to undermine democracies by interfering in elections in the U.S. and Europe.

“That to me is a huge deal,” Clapper said. “They are going to continue to do it and why not? It proved successful."

Yates also was challenged by Republican Senator John Cornyn of Texas on her refusal to defend Trump’s initial travel ban in court, a decision that led to her firing.

She defended the decision to overrule the department’s own experts on whether an executive order is constitutional, pointing to her 2015 testimony during her confirmation hearing to be deputy attorney general that she would be willing to tell a president "no."

"All arguments have to be based on truth," she said, adding that she concluded that Trump’s order, which would have banned entry to the U.S. from seven predominantly Muslim countries, “was not lawful."
Cornyn said her decision to countermand the president’s order on policy grounds was “enormously disappointing.”

"I believed that it was unlawful,” she replied.

Bloomberg
0 Replies