monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Mon 8 May, 2017 09:28 am
@blatham,
That's obsolete though. The age of TV was from the 50's to the 90's. We're now in the age of the Internet.
revelette1

Mon 8 May, 2017 09:34 am
@Olivier5,
Which makes Blatham's piece even more true, information or disinformation is spread faster than the speed of light so to speak, along with every trivia known to man.

BTW- I am pretty sure you said once you don't live there, but congratulations on Macron win.

According to what I just read, soon there will be a parliamentary election. Do you think Macron win will spread?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Olivier5

Mon 8 May, 2017 09:54 am
@revelette1,
The internet totally changes how to lie to people. Before you had to have a TV channel, or be able to influence one. Eg Turner creating CNN, Murdock creating FAUX. It was costly but reasonnably simple to do (and to spot). Now it's become both cheaper and much more sophisticated. It's harder to lie consistantly and not be called on it than it was during the TV age, much easier to simply sow doubt, ie confuse people. Eg many Americans are confused about global warming because it's been DONE to them, they have been rendered confused on purpose.

I live in Italy. Thanks for the congrats.

Yes, Macron's appeal will grow, there'll be a honeymoon period, and i hope he gets a majority in the house. The stronger the better.

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 8 May, 2017 11:16 am
@Lash,
I don't think much will come of this and certainly not impeachment.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 8 May, 2017 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
But everyone doesn't get their daily dose, and to the extent that usage is rampant, it's not by the design of the government which has now decided that this a surefire vote winner and before too long people who really need these meds will not be able to get them.

blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 12:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
where is the soma?
Contact Jeff Sessions. Or rather, contact his wife.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 8 May, 2017 12:43 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
We can't be Americans if everything we do is a copy of Europe.
There are 47 independent and quite different countries in Europe ...
blatham

Mon 8 May, 2017 12:48 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
That's obsolete though. The age of TV was from the 50's to the 90's. We're now in the age of the Internet.
I think "obsolete" really is the wrong word/idea to use here. But I'm pressed for time right now. Let me get back to you to explain why I think so.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 8 May, 2017 12:54 pm
@giujohn,
You re flat out wrong. The science is clear
. Global warming is real. Humans are doingg iiit.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 8 May, 2017 01:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You wouldn't know that from the way American Liberals want to be just like the EU.
I didn't know that nor did I know that the 27 (or still 28) EU-countries cover the other 20 (or 19) European countries.

On the other hand, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte ... really nice EU-parts.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 01:44 pm
@izzythepush,
So far so good, I've only taken a pain pill once, after a surgery. I might have been given an aspirin as a kid, but kind of doubt it. Now that I've said that, I'll have to be more careful or I'll trip and break a bone next week.

I prefer chicken soup..
Not to be all righteous, as I know some people have conditions with endless pain.
MontereyJack

Mon 8 May, 2017 01:55 pm
@giujohn,
That is flat out stupid.
revelette1

Mon 8 May, 2017 02:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
After I had my wreck, I took pain pills for nearly two years, took a long time to recover, (not fully) anyway, it was hard to finally quit taking them, but I did, mainly because it wasn't doing much good and I didn't want to take more only to require more...so I quit cold turkey and just suffer through any pain. It is not as though I am required to be out working physical labor, so, it is ok.

I do know that it is a street thing now, they take those pills and crush them up and either shoot them up or snort them. I have to admit, as much Izzy likes to diss the US, we do have a drug problem in the US.
ossobucotemp

Mon 8 May, 2017 03:10 pm
@revelette1,
This is, natch, tangental re the thread, except that it is part of the exacerbation of "the center not holding", what with our present political demolition.

Yeah. I had breast cancer a bunch of years ago, and after the first of the two surgeries, needed to go to a wedding the next day (business partner's son's, whom I've liked, good man). I was given pills that first time but didn't take them. The wedding ceremony was rather rustic, and as they were popular, filled with lots of people. I busied myself with taking photos, as a gift. Finally the day and proceedings moved along, and I drove to business partner's house -- or maybe they drove me to pick up my car. I was damned tired; left the house shortly after, and drove home, where I discovered I'd left my purse on the top of the car when I drove off. Gaaaah. A few days later, I got a phone call - a woman had found my purse, a mile or two away. Everything was still in the purse, wallet, etc.... except the unused opioid type pills. That was a nice little town, as little towns go, about 15 years ago. I figure the opioid thing is worse by now, even there.