monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:16 pm
Politico has a wonderful series of magazine covers (US and abroad) featuring Trump. My personal favorite is this one...

http://static.politico.com/dims4/default/2d18ea4/2147483647/resize/1160x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fbb%2F6a%2F92584d47404cac1e680a31c8cd68%2F5.png
More Here
blatham

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:49 pm
This is from the Independent UK
Quote:
Two members of alt-right accused of making white supremacist hand signs in White House after receiving press passes

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2017/04/29/15/fairbanks.jpg

I'll let you folks read the piece and see if the hand sign thing is credible. But I want to point to another aspect here. The female's name is Cassandra Fairbanks and she's a reporter for Russian news outlet Sputnik. From the piece...
Quote:
Ms Fairbanks joined notoriety when she moved from supporting Senator Bernie Sanders to supporting Mr Trump for president. She now frequently speaks out against Islamic terrorism and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Now here's a series of tweets from JAM@Eviljohna telling more of that story
Quote:
Known as Cassandrarules she spent the primary shilling for Bernie & pushing the worst of propaganda against Hillary

Quote:
She kept up this sham thru the primary but her most important work began when it was over. Inciting chaos & division at the convention
Yes, she was one of the loud "Bernie Bros" yelling at Silverman and others.
Quote:
She was such a well known & vocal BernieOrBuster her tweets were often included in CNN, Dailywire, RT & Breitbart reporting of the race

Quote:
After she did as much damage as possible to Hillary, she finally emerged as a Trump supporter working to flip Berners to Trump

One of the key things that really frustrated me about the Bernie supporters was their apparent lack of understanding of the absolute certainty that this sort of "rat *******" would be going on in their midst. As I've detailed earlier, there was a broad and well-organized campaign during the contest between Obama and Hillary with PUMA and GOP front group Clintons4McCain to turn Hillary supporters to McCain. Here's another tweet that demonstrates the thing
Quote:
@brokencup
Former Bernie supporter voting Trump as well. My Floridian family have all flipped Bernie => Trump.

glitterbag

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:54 pm
@blatham,
Dear God, herds of unicorns hahahahahaha hahahahahaha gasp hahaahahhahahhahhahhahah
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I hate any government douche bag that wants MAY DAY as some kind of day of loyalty. Too many Bolsheviks still alive

Jesus freaking Christ, freaking May Day..........are they tone deaf or have they just warned everybody to get on board or else?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:40 pm
Trump has invited Duterte to the WH. He really has. WH issued press release saying so. Also, their phone exchange was "a very friendly conversation".

This guy not only organizes and runs death squads that have murdered perhaps 5000 people, he has admitted to personally murdering at least three people himself.

ossobucotemp

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:42 pm
@blatham,
I just now saw that.
Sometimes I don't have words.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:50 pm
@blatham,
Ugh! That image! Let me see now. Isn't it true that on previous occasions Trump (or tRump, if you prefer) has previously publicly denigrated the physical appearance of others (especially women)? So, what about his own physique? Well, never mind!
roger

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:54 pm
@blatham,
I thought it meant A-OK. I think someone's imagination may be a bit overactive.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:55 pm
@hightor,
I wrote a fairly long and detailed response but decided to toss it. There's little point in continuing this debate.

My comment was that the unprecedented level of animus directed toward this president has likely contributed to making the job more difficult than he anticipated and your response seems to be a) It's really not all that bad or any worse than Obama faces and b) If it is he should have expected it.

There are critics of Trump who agree with me that the opposition is largely engaged in a scorched earth policy that will prove ultimately ineffective and likely to backfire. Fareed Zakaria writes that Trump acted presidential in terms of the strike against Syria and is subject to a wave of attacks from his fellow liberals including the ridiculous comment of Jeremy Scahill: “If that guy (Zakaria) could have sex with this cruise missile attack, I think he would do it.” Tthe experience prompted Zakaria to write a columns entitled "Liberals have to avoid trump derangement syndrome."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/liberals-have-to-avoid-trump-derangement-syndrome/2017/04/13/81ff4a7a-2083-11e7-a0a7-8b2a45e3dc84_story.html?utm_term=.a4cf8bf4dd92

The news and entertainment media is a powerful force in this country in terms of shaping people's opinions. They are overwhelmingly anti-Trump and in many cases, rabidly so. Any president faced with overcoming a constant barrage of solely negative attention has a tougher job governing than a president who is routinely defended and praised by the same forces. If you don't buy this, I'm not going to convince you of it.

oralloy

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Next when North Korea issued it's usual threats and continued its testing of missiles designed to carry a nuke to the West Coast of America, and the response from the Trump Administration was tough talk, again there was talk in this forum about WWIII. Once it became clear that neither of these hot spots were going to result in escalation and war, the Trump Haters turned to their usual fallback position of ridiculing Trump and making much of what the actual course of a pair of US aircraft carriers seemingly sent to NK to flex our muscles, might have been.

For the record I still believe that the US and North Korea will have a nuclear war before Trump leaves office.

And I still place 100% of the blame for this on North Korea.

I would not characterize it as WWIII necessarily. We might lose a city or two though, if North Korea finishes developing ICBMs before the war starts.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Trump, as promised, nominated an eminently qualified judge for the SC vacancy and because the Democrats were compelled by their base and big donors to oppose him, the Reid Option was invoked and now SC justice nominations can't be filibustered. The reaction from the Trump Haters? He and the Republicans destroyed a long standing tradition of the Senate! How dare they!

I find liberal whining about this to be particularly ridiculous.

The Left started that fight. If they had not blocked W's nominees out of sheer pettiness, the Republicans would not have retaliated by blocking this Garland character. In particular the blocked nomination of John Bolton comes to mind, but there were others who were blocked for no good reason.
Blickers

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 10:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
The Left started that fight. If they had not blocked W's nominees out of sheer pettiness, the Republicans would not have retaliated by blocking this Garland character.

When did the Democrats ever refuse to take action on a Supreme Court nomination? The Constitution makes clear the nominee must pass the Senate. So the Senate refusing to pass a Supreme Court nominee is perfectly all right-in fact, historically one in five nominees don't get past the Senate. But the Constitution says the president is supposed to nominate a candidate for a Supreme Court seat, and the Senate has to pass or reject the nominee. This is what the Republicans are doing that was wrong-they refused to even hold hearings or take action on the nominee at all.

In so doing, they have gleefully ripped the advise and consent portion of the Constitution to shreds. And they love themselves for doing it.
edgarblythe

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 11:05 pm
Peter Principle at play.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 01:50 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Where did you get the idea that I believe Soros is paying hundreds of thousands of protesters?

So what's your idea exactly?
roger

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 02:02 am
@Olivier5,
In other words, you prefer not to answer his question to you.
Olivier5

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 02:05 am
@roger,
?????

edit: implicitly i did answer his question, by asking him to clarify his position, if I got it wrong.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 04:16 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Here's a little more on the Canadian lumber tariff I mentioned. This will definitely hurt the local economy and personally affect one of my musical colleagues who happens to run a lumber business. But, as the article says, it's hard to please everybody in this dispute. Just pointing out that this move is not welcome news in my world and it doesn't make me want to support Trump.
Quote:
I wrote a fairly long and detailed response but decided to toss it.

Well, I'd come pretty close to tossing mine before finally deciding to post it. I do appreciate the attention you pay to your writing, your grasp of history, and your sense of humor and I worried that my response might have sounded a bit intemperate— there may be little point in continuing the discussion but I'm glad it progressed as far as it did.

I accept that there's a bit of derangement on the part of some of the anti-Trump people — not on this forum, of course — but again, it's only been three months and the political climate may cool off, even if the planet's doesn't.

The main thing is, any rapprochement has to be based on this president's actions, not on the idea of restoring civility so that he can govern effectively. The second option might be laudable but realistically, the gap between the parties has grown so astonishingly wide over the past twenty years or so that neither side trusts the other enough to lay down their rhetorical arms unless there's some concrete sign of compromise. No one wants to make the first move. Once again, as the president said:
Quote:
However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion.
blatham

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 04:48 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Isn't it true that on previous occasions Trump (or tRump, if you prefer) has previously publicly denigrated the physical appearance of others (especially women)? So, what about his own physique?
He wouldn't be the first old and fat frat-house type who was oddly unaware of how unattractive he is.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 04:50 am
@roger,
The text and visuals in the piece suggest there's more to it, roger, but I'm not interested enough to dig in.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 05:55 am
Politico has a headline using the phrase "The Trump Doctrine".

Trump doesn't have a doctrine. He has a mouth.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 06:18 am
Editorializing from Paul Waldman (quoting a WP piece)
Quote:
This can-do Congress is Getting Things Done For The American People:

Quote:
A short-term spending agreement to keep the federal government open for another week overwhelmingly passed Congress on Friday.

The House voted 382 to 30 on Friday to approve the deal and the Senate unanimously approved it a short time later. House and Senate negotiators are set to work through the weekend to finalize a longer-term deal that would fund the government through the end of the fiscal year in September.

Top staff and leaders on the appropriations committees had tried late Thursday to reach a longer agreement but were unable to resolve differences on several unrelated policy measures that have plagued the process since the beginning, according to several congressional aides familiar with the talks.

This is what Americans sent them to Washington to do.
0 Replies