monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Lash

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 04:21 am
@izzythepush,
You're off your rocker. I didn't have you in mind when I asked the question. An amalgam of Europeans here have touted their brand of healthcare for practically as long as I've been here. You were probably among them, but I'm not sure. Anyway, Europe seems to be in the midst of a die-off. Don't get sick!

Your plan seems, in light of current news, a step toward The Walking Dead.

Your victim rhetoric reveals that you may be going through some paranoia crisis. Try to relax and be able to accept that all nations are guilty of things and operate poorly. Conversation about the failures of your country doesn't mean you've lost value as a human being.

Only your immature, meritless railing against that criticism does that.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 04:25 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Rather than every man for himself buying coverage independently, socialized medicine connotes people paying into the same system to effect costs.
farmerman

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 04:45 am
@Lash,
thats the theory that makes car insurance work. EVERYBODY HAS TO CArry IT SO THE RISK POOLS ARE part of the economics
farmerman

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 04:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
we hqve a biparty system in which sloganeering is used to simplify concepts so the masses can understand. Thats what Trump is really good at. I think he orders all his folks to talk in no more than 2 syllables and compose the simplest of phrases.

"socialized medicine" is simply a pejorative term, just like "death panels" or "death taxes".

farmerman

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 04:53 am
@ossobucotemp,
I never looked up the etymology of "snowflake"> I always assumed it was conjoured in some back room where mean-spiritdness is taught to tea baggers
hightor

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:01 am
“The dysfunction in this White House just knows no bounds.”
Walter Hinteler

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Rather than every man for himself buying coverage independently, socialized medicine connotes people paying into the same system to effect costs.
Well, that's why we call it "health insurance". Since the 1880's (before, it were "sickness fraternities" run by the various guilds only for members and families of single guilts) it's called such.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:08 am
@hightor,
I hear that , to the contrary, hes becoming quite ept.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
And I'm even more confused that obviously any health care program which isn't in the US is called so. (The NHS-system differs quite a lot from e.g. 130-years old system we've got here.)

It is part of the package of delusions espoused by American liberals.

American liberals insist on believing that anything aside from the current US system is something that they call "single payer" (which is a real term, but not one that they have any understanding of).

Actually the Obamacare exchanges, if modified enough, could be made to resemble the German system. If the Republicans did some serious thinking about where they want to go on healthcare, they would do this. Because the German system actually works, and American Republicans would surely prefer the German system over any of the other systems that actually work.
izzythepush

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 06:24 am
@farmerman,
Over here it had a quite different meaning. Black people would use it to describe other black people who they thought were white on the inside.

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/snowflake1.jpg?265146
hightor

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 06:29 am
@izzythepush,
Or what we call "Oreos".
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.thelisttv.com%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F03%2F04%2F16x9%2F5_Things_You_Didn___t_Know_About_Oreo_Co_0_33106249_ver1.0_640_480.jpg&f=1
hightor

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 06:31 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If the Republicans did some serious thinking about where they want to go on healthcare, they would do this.

Are you implying that they're trying to destroy the ACA without even having a serious idea as to how they would replace it? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 07:40 am
@farmerman,
I don't consider it a pejorative. For me, it's just an umbrella term toward the concept of single payer, including ACA. To differentiate the style of pay from the way we did it immediately before ACA.

People are becoming afraid of the word like they were of liberal in the 80s and 90s. Compared to what we had previously, more socialized is a reasonable description.

revelette1

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 07:57 am
Analysis: Winners and losers from President Trump’s first 100 day (WP)
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
For me, it's just an umbrella term toward the concept of single payer, including ACA.

ACA is quite different from single payer. Unless we are using the Leftist definition of the term to mean all sorts of unrelated health systems.
revelette1

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:31 am
@oralloy,
The only way the ACA could be termed socialized medicine is the subsidies and the extended Medicare to include more people than before, of which republicans are doing their best to do away with.
oralloy

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:56 am
@revelette1,
I've heard the Left refer to the "public option" as single payer, even though it is nothing of the sort.
revelette1

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 08:58 am
@oralloy,
I haven't heard any of the "left" refer to the public option being referred to as the single payer. I personally hope someday we come to the single payer and the payer being the federal government, but, if we don't at least making some good changes to better sustain the ACA would be good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:23 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I don't consider it a pejorative. For me, it's just an umbrella term toward the concept of single payer, including ACA. To differentiate the style of pay from the way we did it immediately before ACA. [...] People are becoming afraid of the word like they were of liberal in the 80s and 90s.
Since that what you call "socialized healthcare" is decades (if not not centuries) older ...
Well, never mind.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 29 Apr, 2017 09:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Well if you don't want to believe people in the know who you might expect to insist none are paid, so be it. You're pretty naive for a sophisticated European.

Thanks for the laugh. If you really believe that Soros is paying hundreds of thousands of protesters to protest, you're more naive than I am.